HX Effects Firmware 2.8

What's Hot
BeexterBeexter Frets: 600
Does anyone know ( @rossyamaha ) if the 2.8 firmware update is imminent?
I'm sure I read somewhere that there could be models of the KOT and Zendrive - just wondered how far over the horizon the update is?
Improved pitchshifting would be nice too!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22226
    Beexter said:
    Does anyone know ( @rossyamaha ) if the 2.8 firmware update is imminent?
    I'm sure I read somewhere that there could be models of the KOT and Zendrive - just wondered how far over the horizon the update is?
    Improved pitchshifting would be nice too!
    The KoT model - does it have an option where you buy new and flip it for more than you paid for it after a week? 

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24498
    2.8 is due "in the spring" which this year means up to about mid June.

Line 6 NEVER give early indications. It's ready when it's ready.

The big Helix group on facebook is full of people asking and the answer is always the same - when it's ready.

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2461
    Soon.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    For clarity, it's currently in beta testing. I don't have it yet so can't comment on any of the new models. 

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    .. and FYI the list of 2.8 contents published at NAMM did not include improved pitch shifting.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 600
    edited May 2019
    siremoon said:
    .. and FYI the list of 2.8 contents published at NAMM did not include improved pitch shifting.

Shame,  maybe next time.....

• What I took from the things I've read is that Line 6 are intent on having their own polyphonic detection/shifting algorithm instead of just purchasing someone else code.... or something like that.... which seems a bit mental considering who else Yamaha own.

Either way, of all the extra goodies that they've put into Helix to spoil us with over the years it seems to me that this is something that probably should have been a priority in a piece of hardware in 2019
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    Interestingly, I've recently met (Wife's friends husband) who used to work for moog, then Line 6 (now cambridge audio). Apparently the Variax interface was the biggest pain in the arse for the Helix.
    Interesting job progression, going from, Create as many oscillations as possible, to a few oscillations to none what so ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    Has there been any more news on this?
    preston61 said:
    Has there been any more news on this?
    Same as before.

When it's ready.

They are *aiming* for release in Spring, and Spring lasts until the 21st June.
    The beta-testers are on NDAs, and the L6 guys won't say until it's actually ready.
    The release will also NEVER be on a Friday as they want tech support to be in the office if needed.

Far better for it to be released late but functional rather than facing 20,000 bricked units!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394

Far better for it to be released late but functional rather than facing 20,000 bricked units!
    Get you and your consumer electronic jargon !  =)

Now let's talk about the law of Tort implications ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:

I would bet a shiny pound that hidden in the hardware & HX Edit there is an equivalent of a keystroke logger that would show whether the end user actually followed the instructions properly...

Good way to avoid liability!
  • We've released stuff on a Friday before. It's dumb. Just do it on the Monday.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7527
    Jalapeno said:

I would bet a shiny pound that hidden in the hardware & HX Edit there is an equivalent of a keystroke logger that would show whether the end user actually followed the instructions properly...

Good way to avoid liability!
    Why would you do that and allow.it to proceed wrongly? 

I'll bet the same £ they don't 
    Red ones are better. 
    If they don't then they need a better legal dept.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    We've released stuff on a Friday before. It's dumb. Just do it on the Monday.

A friend of mine works in IT for a major international parcel company. 

They were shifting data centers and,  at the same time, moving to a different IT services company. Many mission-critical systems had been rebuilt from the ground up. 

Management could not seem to understand that going live the week before Christmas was a bad idea.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    No news or firm date I’m afraid but did get to try a bit of it yesterday. All I can say is the 2 new drives I was really looking forward to (King Of Tone and Zendrive) are absolutely spot on. I found a little surprise in there as well which wasn't in the release notes. I won't in case it doesn't make it to the final version but  makes sense to put it in. 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    No news or firm date I’m afraid but did get to try a bit of it yesterday. All I can say is the 2 new drives I was really looking forward to (King Of Tone and Zendrive) are absolutely spot on. I found a little surprise in there as well which wasn't in the release notes. I won't in case it doesn't make it to the final version but  makes sense to put it in. 
    Tart ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    Tart ! ;)
    You know it. 

• I've not managed to install the beta yet, just been too snowed under at work since I got back!

Bye!