Jaguar build/ assembly

What's Hot
So after putting together my partscaster strat recently, I really got the bug and I'm now looking into putting together my first jaguar (perhaps close to the Cobain signature model in specs).

However, funds are really tight so I want to make this a cheap project but not compromise too much on quality, otherwise what's the point of having a bad sounding or playing guitar.

I was thinking that the best way of doing it would be to acquire a unfinished body and neck and apply tru oil or a similar finish to cut on costs. Something looking close to this but with HB:

http://www.vintage-guitars.se/1965_Fender_Jaguar_refin_natur.jpg

So I would be thankful if any of you gents could suggest any source for cheap but good quality unfinished bodies, as well as hardware and electronics.

Thanks in advance.
____
"You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    edited August 2013

Don't know if this would be too pricey, but Guitarbuild do a 3-piece alder Jazzmaster body for £95 (including VAT) (and also other woods available). They could probably do you a Jaguar body to order if you contacted them.

• fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Thanks - definitely something to consider if I don't find something else cheaper.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    There was a guy in Poland selling them on ebay a while back, but can't find his link now.. There is this fella in Spain though

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-COLOR-OLYMPIC-WHITE-JAGUAR-ALDER-GUITAR-BODY-cuerpo-guitarra-/221271095018?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item3384c8f6ea

The hard part is finding a Jaguar neck for a reasonable price - in some ways it is worth buying a Squier Jag and selling the other parts (but that might defeat the object somewhat)

Yes, I suspect that the neck will be harder to find and certainly the most costly of all parts. I might look for a squier neck in the end if I run out of possibilities.

Those bodies sold by the Spanish guy are not, unfortunately, the right specs. They seem to be too "square".
    ____
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Yes, must admit I was just looking at them and wondering what was wrong :) Sorry...I'll go back to my hole

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22116
    I'd go with a secondhand VM Jaguar and sand that puppy down. All the extras like the control plates, pickups, pots and switches, plus a body and neck will cost more than buying a straight up VM Jag. The Squier VM Jag is a seriously good guitar irrespective of the price. Mine played and sounded so much better than the MIJ one I had a few years earlier. 

If you find yourself flush with cash, look at MJT. Very nice bodies there. 

Thanks HFD. My strat has a MJT body and I love the lightweight and resonance, but that is out of the question at the moment budget wise.

____
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9611
    I've seen a couple of the sunburst VM Jags and the mismatched grain of the body blocks (3? 4?) looked pretty ugly. If you were going to strip it down to a clear finish you might have to seek out a better than average one.
  • I've seen a couple of the sunburst VM Jags and the mismatched grain of the body blocks (3? 4?) looked pretty ugly. If you were going to strip it down to a clear finish you might have to seek out a better than average one.
    Or veneer it

Yes - I know it's a bass but it's a Squier VM nevertheless.  Stripped the coating off, veneered the top, restyled the pickguard, added self-adhesive carbon fibre matting.  They're good guitars and can be made to look fabulous...
    That looks absolutely gorgeous but much above my abilities I suspect. I'm on the look out for something to come up on ebay.

How did you strip the finish btw? heat gun or sanding?
    ____
  • fnpt said:
    That looks absolutely gorgeous but much above my abilities I suspect. I'm on the look out for something to come up on ebay.

How did you strip the finish btw? heat gun or sanding?

It's easier than it looks. I have put a link somewhere to a thread I did on bass chat showing how its done - at the weekend I'll try to find it. I use a heat gun to get the old covering off (which is actually the most difficult bit...really!) Andy