Storing amp in garage

What's Hot
TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
I know this is far from ideal but wondering if there's any good way of storing a combo amp in the garage without ruining it? My guitar room has now been turned into a nursery so currently the amp is living in the dining room which according to the wife isn't a long term solution (despite me being allowed to have the guitar on a hanger as it "looks nice") :)

It's not insulated so I imagine it'll get all the extremes. It's brick wall with single glazed windows. Doesn't seem to have any damp or mold. Have a lot of space in the garage so wondered if I could build some kind of insulated cupboard for it? Alternatively the more expensive option would be a live-in flight case - would that work? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    No matter how 'not damp' you think a garage is, it is from the point of view of electronics and it will start to corrode, even if slowly.

If you don't need to get at it often, seal it up in a plastic bag with tape to make it airtight - do that in the house so you're not sealing in damp air.

If you do need to get at it regularly, a full flightcase is a good option - in the winter, run some tape around the joint to make doubly sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2198
    Loft might be a better option than your garage
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Wrong priority. Put the kid in the garage - they don’t corrode ;)
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

If you have power in the garage plug the amp into a time switch so that it comes on for 20 mins or so every day or if you get a digital timer, once a week.

Or indeed, seal in plastic.

Dave.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Can you use your combo as a bedside table?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Roland said:
    This received a lol but just glanced over and there might actually be enough space down my side of the bed and it's tucked out the way enough to get away with it! Crisis could be averted :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FenderishFenderish Frets: 47
    use a dessicant gel pouch (the same you can find in new amps packaging or guitar case) in your store package, it helps a bit
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    What happens is that moisture condenses from the air every night onto the cold parts of the amp

This is why car collectors seal their cars in huge plastic bags, and why big plane scrap yards are usually in a hot dry place like Arizona: https://www.axiomimages.com/aerial-stock-footage/view/AF0001_000865

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    TTBZ said:
    Roland said:
    This received a lol but just glanced over and there might actually be enough space down my side of the bed and it's tucked out the way enough to get away with it! Crisis could be averted :)
    Yep, there’s a high probability that the arrival of my artiste combo might coincide with the arrival of a temporary bedside table, ie being one and the same thing. 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    TTBZ said:
    Roland said:
    I used to use my Marshall as a bedside table, had a little piece of wood balanced on top. It later became a TV stand in the bedroom... 

:)
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    I used a 4x12 as a TV stand in living room for ages :) multi functional 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    mice and spiders will love it and yes, spider webs can cause shorts!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    57Deluxe said:
    That's the other advantage of a flightcase - rodent and spider proof. Although I doubt mice would chew through a good thick polythene sheet either.

I did once work on a bass combo - one with a port at the bottom - which mice had got into and chewed not only the speaker cone, but some of the wiring on the power transformer too!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Time to move to a bigger house 
    We just did that :) I would have liked a 4 bed or something with a home office situation but couldn't get anything within budget or the right area. I would love to convert the garage into a soundproof studio space but not sure on the costs of that, probably too much right now!

Anyway I've managed to shuffle a load of stuff round to avoid the amp going in the garage or loft so I'm sorted for the time being.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    edited May 2019
    ICBM said:
    57Deluxe said:
    That's the other advantage of a flightcase - rodent and spider proof. Although I doubt mice would chew through a good thick polythene sheet either.

I did once work on a bass combo - one with a port at the bottom - which mice had got into and chewed not only the speaker cone, but some of the wiring on the power transformer too!

Ha! When I was a snot nosed apprentice there  were "console" TVs. A 12" CRT, B&W of course, atop a square box and in the bottom a decent, for the day, 8 or 10" speaker. One came in for "very weak sound" and , yes, you guessed it, mice had completely eaten away the cone leaving only the coil and dust cap. Most of the cone was in a pile as a nest in the bottom of the cab!

They did not do that to table top TVs I guess because they could not get in and in any case would be close to the 10.125kHz line whistle which was quite audible to humans ten feet away. Must have been bloody deafening to a mouse!

BTW IC earwigs are insulators! I had a Hoover fan heater at same place, rotary switch, contacts like old car breaker points. Anyhoos an earwig had crawled between the contacts and stopped it working. We could not work out how it got in because the switch was two moulded halves of plastic hollow riveted together. We concluded it must have got in at the switch factory during assembly.

It was of course dead! But not "crisped" or black despite holding back 240 volts.

Dave.