Posting a guitar...

What's Hot
ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
Set neck, no hard case. Is it possible to post without it arriving in pieces?

Anyone?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Try to get a proper guitar box from a music shop (something an Epiphone came in might be good) and wrap the guitar in lots of layers of bubble wrap. Usually works.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Thanks. Yes, getting a box or two from a friendly guitar shop isn't a problem and I' d pack plenty of polystyrene / bubble wrap etc. Just wondered if any others had done the same.  Its the "usually works" that's worries me...
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Wouldn't be me mind. V keen!!!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    If it has an angled headstock like a Gibson, make sure there is support under the neck - a lot of guitar boxes have cardboard or polystyrene blocks to do that - and slacken the strings. The most important thing is to keep pressure and tension off the headstock.

Remember that many couriers won't insure it if it's not in a hard case though, no matter how well it's packed - and even if you've paid for the insurance.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

jd0272 said:
    Erm... Is it just me or does this make no sense?!

Thanks ICBM. Appreciate no insurance - suppose that's a risk that needs to be weighed also...
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Chuffola;22439" said:
    jd0272 said:

Erm... Is it just me or does this make no sense?!

Thanks ICBM. Appreciate no insurance - suppose that's a risk that needs to be weighed also...
    Simply means I wouldn't be posting a set neck sans case, and infers whosoever does, regardless of how well its packed, is a very keen fellow.

"You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    Ah, I see. Yes, I'm beginning to think you might be right.  Might see if I can pick up a cheap hard case...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    And if it hasn't been said before, don't send it by Parcel Farce even if it's in a hard case. They will happily take your insurance money for however much you say it's worth, but limit the payout on musical instruments to £150 (I think). Read the small print very carefully whichever carrier you use.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

The more I read, the less attractive the whole thing is!  Makes more sense to sell it locally. Sorry, those who were interested - don't think it's worth the risk / cost / hassle to post!

Thanks for all the advice, as usual.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I wouldn't post it without a hard case dude. It does suck sometimes being in N Ireland with the worst second hand market in the uk.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yep. Two offers at the asking price and 1 other interested person on here. Nothing other than tossers texting me via the local Gumtree ad. 

Very frustrating. But I think you're right. No hard case, no posty - as Confucius once said.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited August 2013
    We should start a support group :D
    GAS Hurts NI
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I had to post my very awkward to parcel Epi Firebird without a case and it was OK. Can't remember who I sent it with- it was from Parcels2Go.
    Just made sure that it was well wrapped with a bit of bracing under the neck/headstock join (thanks ICBM- forgot to mention that) and with some 'breathing space' in the layers of bubble wrap to soak up any knocks.
  • PuggyPuggy Frets: 0
    Just received a guitar by post, box bubble wrap and a gig bag, turned up as new. Just have to make sure it's a trustworthy courier.
    Interesting. Who was the courier? Was it a set neck guitar - I wouldn't have any qualms posting a bolt on.