Almost a NAD

What's Hot
GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
So my new Marshall DSL 20 HR arrived from Thomann today.

It was fucked.

Absolutely horrible loud hiss on both channel - that was separate to the regular tube amp hiss you might get at higher volume.

Even worse was the great honking humming noise when engaging the unusable effects loop. Was the same with powered and battery effects. Dreadful noise was as loud as my delay. 

QA at the Marshall factory in Vietnam clearly not what it should be. What an utter waste of my time and money. And now I've got to pack it all up and send it back to Germany.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Why did you buy a modern day Marshall?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    If it’s faulty, why is it your obligation to send it back ?  My understanding (and from previous threads on here) is that if faulty, it is their obligation to get it back from you and remedy.  I think that’s different from you just not liking it under distance selling. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I don’t think Thomann collect. They pay for the return but I remember having to go to the Post Office with a Les Paul I ordered from them which came with knackered electronics. It’s a fucking drag, but I suppose this is the trade off you get from ordering from box shifters. Mind you, I’m not sure a new amp would be tested before being dispatched from a guitar shop anyway. 
    Sorry about the amp. Are you going to get a replacement or has this soured your opinion on it?
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    edited May 2019
    Yes they pay for return but I have to take the package to the Post Office. 

I just asked for a refund. I probably won't get another of this model. Don't want to risk it.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589

Probably better than having to wait in all day for a courier to collect it tbh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2019
    p90fool said:

Probably better than having to wait in all day for a courier to collect it tbh

Yes. It's just a bit of a faff round here, very heavy parcel with quite a walk from parking.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    p90fool said:

Yes. It's just a bit of a faff round here, very heavy parcel with quite a walk from parking.
    You can drop it off at Parcelforce depot or delivery office instead. These are usually based somewhere on the outskirts or in an industrial estate with their own parking.
    KrisGee said:
    p90fool said:

You can drop it off at Parcelforce depot or delivery office instead. These are usually based somewhere on the outskirts or in an industrial estate with their own parking.
    Hour drive to my nearest.

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    KrisGee said:
    p90fool said:

Hour drive to my nearest.
    I feel for ya.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Not surprised you're Grumpy... :)

It may well just be a bad valve, which could have happened in transit. But also could be something else, if it's been thrown about by the courier - even something simple like a detached jumper connector.

The build quality on the Vietnamese DSLs seems to be noticeably improved compared to the older UK-made ones, but I'm still not sure they're really great. Things like the jumper connectors and the cheap plastic pots don't fill me with enthusiasm.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein