110v mains cable

jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
edited May 2019 in Amps
Hi guys, Trying to locate a 110v mains cable in the uk or eu. anyone know where i can purchase one.

Thanks in advance and best wishes

Ps this is for a 62 6g3 deluxe amp
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4934
    UK mains cable is fine for 110V.

Is it just the wall plug you need to be different?
    prowla said:

For a vintage American amp with only a 110V transformer winding - which is almost all of them, until the mid 60s - you need an American power cable to plug into an external stepdown transformer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ICBM said:
    prowla said:

For a vintage American amp with only a 110V transformer winding - which is almost all of them, until the mid 60s - you need an American power cable to plug into an external stepdown transformer.
    This.   Never plug a 110v amp directly in to a UK outlet it will result in damage, smoke and much expense
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

"Never plug a 110v amp directly in to a UK outlet" absolutely never EVER do that...

But, it happened quite often at B's because non technical gitists NEVER check it's an export sample!

The valve chassis just blew a mains fuse. The ID sstate amps just went forth and multiplied. I.e, junked.

Before they left the lab, any 110V kit had the fuse pulled and cargo tape over the IEC socket and a BIG warning.

Dave.

It can be a real problem with US-made kit with IEC power cables - it's all too easy to accidentally plug in a UK power cable and connect it directly to the wall. I've seen a couple of expensive amps killed that way... the fuse doesn't always blow quick enough.

• jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    Thanks ICBM that looks perfect. I tried all the usual suspects, watford valves hotrox tad etc.

I know all to well about 110 kettle leads that is how i blew up my 110v red echodrive. Since converted to 240v.      I have step down for the amp.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

The Fender Super Champ XD / X2 is a great example of what can happen when the incorrect mains voltage is applied as this amp contains valve, solid state and digital modelling technologies.

A fuse change is usually all that's needed to get the valve part up and running again.

The SS part often needs some components changing.

The digital part is usually a write off. Fortunately this is on a separate PCB.