TV purchase - help please

What's Hot
jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
Morning all.

Just about to move house and will finally be buying my first new TV for nearly 14 years. 

Max 50" - not fussed about it being top spec of everything as only really use it for TV viewing and maybe the odd bit of netflix etc.

Are LG and Samsung still the ones to look at? 

Both have 49" TVs available for less than £400, which is a perfect price point, but which ones have the better smart user interface? 

Anything else I should be looking at/avoiding?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7862
    Samsung. Have a look at Richer Sounds god best deals. 
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    I had a samsung plasma that failed and now have 2 LG tvs - one is 4k and both have good pictures. That said my mums Panasonic is a good tv as well
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    I have an LG (C7 OLED model) and the WebOS interface on it is great. Although I don't think they use the same interface on all models though.

Had a look on Costco for deals?

Rtings is a good review site as a starting point

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Ask @Emp_Fab ?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:
    Samsung. Have a look at Richer Sounds god best deals. 
    Would also recommend both Richer sounds and Samsung. 
    Richer sounds extended warranties are fairly priced and service is excellent, in my option better than others on retail parks. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7862
    The owner of Richer Sounds just gave the company to his employees, and is going to run it as a CO-OP, similarity to Waitrose. 

Top bloke. Much respect. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    wibble said:
    I have an LG (C7 OLED model) and the WebOS interface on it is great. Although I don't think they use the same interface on all models though.

Don’t you have to be a member for Costco? 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5162
    I’m looking at the Panasonic 50” GX800 which is one of the TV’s that I can get as part of my company long service recognition award....So I’ll be watching this thread with interest as I know nothing about TV’s  :s
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    give 'em another postcode at the checkout...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    wibble said:

Costco membership is worth it anyway if you have one near to you.  Even if you only go once a month, you can save a lot on non-perishable items like toilet roll, breakfast cereal, and instant coffee.  It will more than cover the cost of membership.  They normal have other stuff very cheaply as well.  I think we bought our microwave from there.  They only had about 2 models available, but they buy thousands of them and sell them very cheaply.  It was cheaper from there than from anywhere I could find online.

On the original subject of the TV, I wouldn't worry too much about the smart interface.  You can use something like an Amazon Fire stick, or similar, for the smart functionality.   Any functionality built into the TV will go out of support in 3 years or so.  If you are the type to keep a TV for 14 years, then you will end up using an external smart device anyway.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    crunchman said:
    boogieman said:
    wibble said:

Costco membership is worth it anyway if you have one near to you.  Even if you only go once a month, you can save a lot on non-perishable items like toilet roll, breakfast cereal, and instant coffee.  It will more than cover the cost of membership.  They normal have other stuff very cheaply as well.  I think we bought our microwave from there.  They only had about 2 models available, but they buy thousands of them and sell them very cheaply.  It was cheaper from there than from anywhere I could find online.

On the original subject of the TV, I wouldn't worry too much about the smart interface.  You can use something like an Amazon Fire stick, or similar, for the smart functionality.   Any functionality built into the TV will go out of support in 3 years or so.  If you are the type to keep a TV for 14 years, then you will end up using an external smart device anyway.

Agreed re: Costco Membership. Our nearest one is Bristol (about 35 miles away), but we got 3-4 times a year and stock up on Bog roll, washing detergent etc, and save loads over the same/same quality stuff you'd buy in Supermarkets. 

Their fresh food, although not always cheap, is always REALLY good quality too. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    crunchman said:
    .... I wouldn't worry too much about the smart interface.  You can use something like an Amazon Fire stick, or similar, for the smart functionality.   Any functionality built into the TV will go out of support in 3 years or so.  If you are the type to keep a TV for 14 years, then you will end up using an external smart device anyway.
    Expect this to happen. The TV will last longer than it’s onboard smart interface, and possibly longer than an external device such a a Huawei box. As long as the TV has the right physical sockets, USB, hdmi etc then it is likely to be forward compatible with most innovations.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    I should have been a bit more clear - as long as the UI is straight forward to use to actually use the telly, I'm not too bothered. it'll mostly be used for Sky anyway. 
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    TheMarlin said:
    Have a look at Richer Sounds god best deals. 
    This^^ plus you get 5 years warranty which I had to use when a screen went down and it was no fuss at all.
    One thing l would advise is to spend as much as you can afford (time and money)to get the best colour quality,especially black.
     I didn't with our last telly (left it to the wife if I'm honest) and the black/dark resolution is more greyscale if you know what I mean and it drives me NUTS!
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4172
    Recommendation for LG here: I've had 2 and they were both brilliant. I've got a Samsung now and I hate it. Picture quality isn't as good, the smart menu is a pain in the arse, and it takes forever to get going when you turn it on :/ 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)