Marshall DSL-1 valves

MototechMototech Frets: 102
Hi folks, I've come across a little DSL-1 head & wanted to change the valves, but a quick look around only shows sets for the 50th Aniversary, which appears to have 5 valves, this little beast only has 3.
Has anyone ever changed the valves in one of these? I would imagine it would make a massive difference to the sound, for not a lot of money.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72328
    It has two ECC83 (12AX7) preamp valves and one ECC82 (12AU7) power valve.

I think it's fairly unlikely it will make a huge difference to the sound, modern Marshalls tend not to be very valve-sensitive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MototechMototech Frets: 102
    ICBM said:
    It has two ECC83 (12AX7) preamp valves and one ECC82 (12AU7) power valve.

I think it's fairly unlikely it will make a huge difference to the sound, modern Marshalls tend not to be very valve-sensitive.

It  reallyddoes sound pretty good, but is very bright, my thinking was try new good quality valves & see if it helps, if not, it isn't a mass of money down the toilet.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72328
    Mototech said:

It  reallyddoes sound pretty good, but is very bright, my thinking was try new good quality valves & see if it helps, if not, it isn't a mass of money down the toilet. 
    The best bet for that is JJs (both ECC83 and ECC82) or Sovtek 12AX7WBs (not WAs), both of which are quite dark. V1 may be a JJ already.

What speaker are you using? That will make much more difference than the valves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MototechMototech Frets: 102
    edited May 2019
    ICBM said:
    Mototech said:

The best bet for that is JJs (both ECC83 and ECC82) or Sovtek 12AX7WBs (not WAs), both of which are quite dark. V1 may be a JJ already.

What speaker are you using? That will make much more difference than the valves.
    Ih ave a cab with a Celestion G10 Greenback, so don't think that is the issue.