The Wheeltappers & Shunters Social Club 1974

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
I just about remember this being on TV late at night when I was a kid. Is this really what 1974 looked like?

I know the Wheeltappers club was really a TV set but just look at the audience. The only real remnant from those days is the darts isn't it?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danodano Frets: 1593
    Pop over the Pennines and that's what parts of Yorkshire are like nowadays
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited May 2019
    Note at 1m20s 2 cans of Carlsberg Special Brew on the table, next to a pack of cigs obviously!

A lot of the old gals seem to be supping ale from the old dimpled pint glasses

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12315
    Like walking into a lung. There are still a few boozers like that around. Holts pubs mostly, proper drinkers pubs, none of this poncy food stuff.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    edited May 2019
    It also the name of the new album by Clinic.

The name comes from a northern social club for railway workers.  
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Ah - the good ol’ days. When men were men and women looked like men.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    And don't forget the Chairman was Colin Crompton " of the commiteeeee" but the compere was " Our Bernard "Manning
     and they were the best bit of the show !
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    It wasn’t on ( possibly not allowed) at home so I only remember bits of it from staying with my grandma. I have a vague memory of some kind of exotic dancer which seemed incredibly rude at the time but otherwise I had no idea what was going on. I guess it was spoofing something I didn’t really know about.
    I also remember the Good Old Days which seemed equally confusing. They repeated some on BBC4 a while ago and I still didn’t understand it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    It wasn’t on ( possibly not allowed) at home so I only remember bits of it from staying with my grandma. I have a vague memory of some kind of exotic dancer which seemed incredibly rude at the time but otherwise I had no idea what was going on. I guess it was spoofing something I didn’t really know about.
    I also remember the Good Old Days which seemed equally confusing. They repeated some on BBC4 a while ago and I still didn’t understand it. 
    It wasn't a spoof.  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Veganic said:
    It wasn't a spoof.  
    Probably spoof is the wrong word, homage maybe - the references to a non existent committee,etc. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Colin Crompton - one of the worst comb-overs in the history of combing over.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6110
    Oh memories, while the yanks had Dean Martin, we had Bernard Manning. 
    We was right classy back in them days yow know. :grin: 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4137
    The miners clubs were like that back in the 70's. I remember them well, will see if I can dig some old pics of those times. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    It's like Phoenix Nights....but real

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3066
    Back in the late 80’s, I used to go out with a young lady who was originally brought up in Rossington, a pit village near Doncaster. 
    Occasionally we used to travel up from London to visit her family and it was genuinely like stepping back in time.  My memories were of the working men’s clubs being just like the clip in the OP.  
    Men only nights on Friday, a night out on Saturday (when women were allowed out) would always feature ‘a turn’ and then Sunday lunchtimes when all the men would go out and get pissed again, while the women stayed at home to cook the dinner.  The levels of bigotry, sexism and racism were through the roof.  I absolutely hated it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Note at 1m20s 2 cans of Carlsberg Special Brew on the table, next to a pack of cigs obviously!

A lot of the old gals seem to be supping ale from the old dimpled pint glasses
    If that isn't already a euphemism it really should be  :o
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    IIRC they only ever had the one stripper ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited May 2019
    scrumhalf said:
    Colin Crompton - one of the worst comb-overs in the history of combing over.
    Truly Trumpesque....

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    They're rare, but I've played places like this in the past couple of years minus the smoking. There are still Working Men's Clubs around in the north and at the last one we played, they had the Meat Raffle during the break in our first and second sets.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    In an interview on Parkinson, Les Dawson said about playing in working men's clubs in Yorkshire "If they liked you, they let you live"
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    You forget just how long Frank Skinner's been at it...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>