New 'Junk' Guitar Day

What's Hot

Comments

• stonevibe said:
    So today I had a whole hour or so free and so I finished my 'Junkcaster'

Pretty much everything on it is used, secondhand (or thirdhand)  and probably not standard. My two favourite parts are the WH Smith old binder pick guard and the 'Switch Of Nothingness'.

Neck came with already loaded with nut, tuners, hooky 'F' logo and dodgy positioned string trees. But it is a big fat U Allparts so I can deal with that.

Action is low and slinky with a set of 11s and the thing screams with the Chopper T in the Bridge, so not a bad afternoon.

This is a dirty low down growler of an Esquire / Junkcaster and belongs in a Pawn Shop or being played through an old valve amp on the edge of exploding. 

Anyone else got any cool Junkcasters they wanna share and pop some pics up?

Go on, get your dirty little secrets out in public!

thats frigin awesome  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143

thats frigin awesome  
    Cheers fella.

Its a work in progress.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited May 2014
    stonevibe said:
    juansolo said:
    That looks quite familiar! ;)
    So what happened to the pickguard?
    Totally different guitar (pickguard on mine is Bakelite). Just happen to look really similar ;)

Though mine has a Strat neck rather than Tele.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    juansolo said:
    stonevibe said:
    juansolo said:
    Totally different guitar (pickguard on mine is Bakelite). Just happen to look really similar ;)

not totally different    ;)

edited May 2014
    WezV said:
    juansolo said:
    stonevibe said:
    juansolo said:

LOL, indeed, Jef's been in touch and it's my old body! I've sent him a couple of templates for the pickguard. The original one is on mine ;) 

The story behind it is thus...

It started out life as a GFS Xaviere Telemaster. AndrewW of BKP bought it as a project.

First thing he did was swap the neck for a Fender Classic 50s Strat neck and make a Bakelite pick guard to Esquire it. He decided then to have Feline make him a Telemaster and put it up for sale. When I snagged it.

I got it for the neck in all honesty, but I ended up liking it. One thing led to another and I attacked it with a router to get the TV Jones in there, a complete re-wire, and it was all good.

The only thing I levelled against it was the weight and that the horn isn't quite the correct shape (no doubt to get around copyright). So off it went to Wez and he made me a new body for it. Leaving only the strap buttons and the control cover as the original parts ;)

Wez sold the body for me (saved sending it back to me and then me selling it), and it seems it's made it's way to you :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'll look after it.

But it might be getting some pretty 'strange' add ons soon.

Its now got a HUGE U neck on (so I'm happy) and is currently sporting a Chopper T hard wired to a 500K pot and just a mini switch to tap the coil.

So its nice and raw with some serious mids already.

Thinking maybe a sneaky SHO at some point as well, if I can find a way of hiding it in there somewhere. Oh and I seem to have a pretty hot P90 lurking in my parts box that I'm sure I could squeeze in somewhere hidden as well.

Junky guitars are awesome. They have a character of their own that comes with a DGAF attitude. Though it's best not to think what you spend on them in the long run and what you could have bought outright for that money ;) Still they have more character and are more personal. I like 'em (I have two, I count my Baja with it that I got for peanuts and consequently modded the shit out of).
  • bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    needs a trem... but i wouldn't say no!
    bigfuzz said:
    needs a trem... but i wouldn't say no!
    I've already got one with a trem. 

:)

• bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    @stonevibe in that case, i'll let you off ;)
    juansolo said:
    WezV said:
    juansolo said:
    stonevibe said:
    juansolo said:

LOL, indeed, Jef's been in touch and it's my old body! I've sent him a couple of templates for the pickguard. The original one is on mine ;) 

The story behind it is thus...

It started out life as a GFS Xaviere Telemaster. AndrewW of BKP bought it as a project.

First thing he did was swap the neck for a Fender Classic 50s Strat neck and make a Bakelite pick guard to Esquire it. He decided then to have Feline make him a Telemaster and put it up for sale. When I snagged it.

I got it for the neck in all honesty, but I ended up liking it. One thing led to another and I attacked it with a router to get the TV Jones in there, a complete re-wire, and it was all good.

The only thing I levelled against it was the weight and that the horn isn't quite the correct shape (no doubt to get around copyright). So off it went to Wez and he made me a new body for it. Leaving only the strap buttons and the control cover as the original parts ;)

Wez sold the body for me (saved sending it back to me and then me selling it), and it seems it's made it's way to you :)
    I remember seeing it on BKP and going (drool or something similar) as the shot in the window got me all excited.

The weight for me is good as I have already got a few lightweight Telemasters and I wanted one with some oomph to it for smacking pissed punters.

stonevibe said:
    The weight for me is good as I have already got a few lightweight Telemasters and I wanted one with some oomph to it for smacking pissed punters.
    I think it's now 3lbs lighter with the new body!
    something like that, as well as using a better quality swamp ash I made the new body a little bit thinner and added a couple of pickup routes under the guard for a little extra weight relief.

Worth noting that telemasters can verge on the heavy side.   its a relatively large shape, but with less routing than a jazzmaster or jaguar
    My green Telemaster is very light.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Then of course there is this one.

Think I'm an addict.

stonevibe said:
    My green Telemaster is very light.

yeah, but if you had made a proper jazzmaster with that same piece of wood it would be very, very light... at least until you added in all the extra hardware jazzmasters have

an average weight body blank will make a relatively heavy telemaster, at least if you stick with fender thickness and normal tele routing.   the weight is also distributed a bit differently with that larger than usual area of non-routed wood behind the bridge
    But I quite like a heavy guitar to be honest. 

I can handle between 9-12lbs comfortably for a 2 hour set.

But then I'm a spritely 41 years of age...

:P

I don't mind heavy either, but often get asked for lighter. My main guitars at the moment are a 100% rock maple les paul and a solid mahogany iceman - both quite a bit heavier than most would like
    WezV said:
    I don't mind heavy either, but often get asked for lighter. My main guitars at the moment are a 100% rock maple les paul and a solid mahogany iceman - both quite a bit heavier than most would like
    Good man.

Lightweight guitars are fine, but there are lots of great heavy guitars that people miss out on because of the "lighter is better" wisdom of the last 10 years or so.