Reverb in front...

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9832
So I've been listening to a lot of Cold War Kids lately, and wanted to learn their song God Make Up Your Mind as its a song that frightens but impresses me every time i hear it.

They have a fairly particular guitar tone, a bit dirty but jangley, but crucially dripping in 'verb. So it occurred to me that to get the muddy kind of verb kind of sound, they must put it in front of the amp. Late last night i tried it with the spring reverb and the Vibro models on the G3 (had to keep my bare foot touching the unit to reduce the usual noise problems) and knock me down with a top hat and a feather it sounded bloody awesome in a "broken old amp" kind of way with my Tele on neck pickup

anybody else had any good unconventional sound surprises lately?
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Apart from discovering that I liked the sound of the Boss BF2 flanger a ter absolutely hating it for the past 20 years, no.

But that 'verb in front' thing works for me too- I've got the Boss Fender FRV, which sounds awesome. I always have a mostly clean amp with filth coming from pedals.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I too have come by a Boss Bf-2 flanger in the last week. Aside from all the classic settings, imagine my delight to find that with the resonance control full up, and everything else right back, I can make my Strat sound just like a steel drum.

All together now: "By the rivers of Babylon..."

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I've been using the spring reverb going into the vibro model for Band Of Skulls jamming on the G3. It's a great sound. I've been using drive pedal model in front, it's called the Hot Point or something like that, with the gain turned right down to 8 or so.

• kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Leslie into chorus into chorused delay sounds amazing. If you like chorus. ;)
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Everything in front including Timeline and Big Sky. Sounds awesome to my ears  
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

I've been experimenting with an analogue delay I bought from here a week or so ago. Sounds ok in front clean, but awful with distortion. I was hoping I could get away with just running into the front as I don't want it complicated. But seems it may have to go in the loop.

As for reverb I've had great results with multi-fx straight in, but the gain has always been from the multi-fx and before the 'verb, into a clean, dry amp. I don't imagine putting a 'verb into a distorting amp would sound very good. Only your ears will tell you though.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9832
    I know what you mean, but I had the Vibro pretty dirty and it sounded pretty great to my ears, as it was so different (well, different to normal, as above I was trying to recreate Cold War Kids sound so it's not original!). Though, taste is a bizarre thing
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 745
    I put the PA  mic into an empty goldfish bowl, placed the amp in front, sounded fantastic.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."