Pedal sounds by technique alone!

What's Hot
frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
So, here's where we can share techniques to recreate pedal sounds:

Wah - hammer ons and swell the tone control. Anything to add? pots to help this?
Ring Modulator - flip one string on top of another on the fret board and pick!

I've got more which I'll use to bump this thread if noone contributes - you've been warned!
A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    The Buddy Guy variation on wah - mad flicking if the 5 way on a strat. Hammer ons and one of the tone knobs down help.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26686
    edited May 2014
    Aziz Ibrahim doing delay and wah @ 4:53 and 5:35 respectively:

<space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Subtle tremolo- just move the volume pot up and down to taste.

Harder tremolo/ killswitch: flick between pups where one is turned fully down.

You can something approaching a flange/phase type sound by doing a hammer on and moving a finger or pick down the string. Best with high gai I've found.

Nice idea for a thread BTW.

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    i can create echo!, i play the same part shit  continuously!  i dont even have to try
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    There's a great "sitar" effect in that Aziz clip as well.
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906

I try all this on acoustic guitar with varying degrees of success!

I can just about emulate tape echo on my acoustic; you need a deft touch to make the volume tail off.

I make an odd modulated noise by tremolo picking on the G string and moving my left hand up and down just resting on the string (as if doing natural harmonics). Also varying the picking position. Audience trembles with awe.

Wah continues to elude me.

Usually plugged into the PA so I need to try some of these volume control techniques, never thought of doing that! Wonder if I can do wah by twiddling me mid slider? Hmmmmmmm..........

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    JAYJO said:
    i can create echo!, i play the same part shit  continuously!  i dont even have to try
    As per @bluechargeboy you can do tape echo effects with a careful touch.IIRC if you can find the Rockschool episode where they cover reggae there is somebody demonstrating this, so its been in my head for decades just never quite got the hang of it! Possibly there is a more up to date demonstration on youtube somewhere...

The other reggae thing is if you do a really staccato double chop rivvum it can get to the point where it sounds like there is maybe (auto) wah on there. Actually I don't know if staccato is the right word but that very quick down-up on a small ( like, 3 notes, maan) chord and then the chord quickly cut off.
    I also like trem flutter for a laugh. It doesn't really sound like anything though apart from someone gargling or pushing a a babbling baby in a pushchair over cobblestones. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited May 2014
    So for those of you who have always wished for that elusive and exotic Indonesian Gamelan pedal, with the rare vintage ring modulator option:

Weave a spare plectrum through three adjacent strings (over-under-over on 1st to 3rd for starters maybe),
    and just play either side of it, single note runs, picked chords and harmonics are all worth trying.  (jazz picks are a bit small for this)

Push the pick up by the bridge to keep it a bit more secure, or try in various positions.
    Do the same on different strings and mix normal playing with this sound.
    Add in another plectrum further up the string and try picking either side or between the two.
    Or add it to the other 3 strings for that full orchestral ring-modded Indonesian Gamelan experience.

Not great for live as the picks can ping out into the audience at any moment, they are a bit unstable, but that is part of the enjoyment.

Have fun   :)

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    There's a part in one of our songs where I play a fake delay, i really like the feel of it, admittedly i do add a touch of reverb to that part to enhance the illusion but the actual "delayed" notes are jsut softly picked.

I think with these it would be really cool to see some you tube demo's. Ill be watching the Aziz Ibrahim one when i get home. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    JAYJO said:
    As per @bluechargeboy you can do tape echo effects with a careful touch.IIRC if you can find the Rockschool episode where they cover reggae there is somebody demonstrating this, so its been in my head for decades just never quite got the hang of it! Possibly there is a more up to date demonstration on youtube somewhere...

The other reggae thing is if you do a really staccato double chop rivvum it can get to the point where it sounds like there is maybe (auto) wah on there. Actually I don't know if staccato is the right word but that very quick down-up on a small ( like, 3 notes, maan) chord and then the chord quickly cut off.

Dennis Bovell on guitar from about 6:15. Why I remember this stuff is beyond me. But thats the 'fake delay.'
  • vizviz Frets: 10709
    Pitch shifter by playing in another key. And digitech wammy by bending thestrings.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    edited May 2014
    Rotary simulator by playing normal guitar with a wireless and spinning round really really fast.

Phaser by forcing the audience to drink vast quantities of sambuca.

Vibe by wiggling the guitar neck back and forward really fast.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited May 2014
    Thanks Cirrus, you reminded me on another  (I rather like your surreal ones  :)

Rotary / Leslie on *acoustic*
    Play an open chord or harmonics and let it ring out while you hold the guitar away from your body, by the neck and the guitar's body by the strap pin end, and rotate back an forward around the guitar:neck axis (i.e. push upper edge of guitar forward and lower edge back, and then the opposite, and keep it going)  much easier done than said.

It gives a proper doppler effect and modulates the volume too.  Great for a song end, or just freaking the cats out...
    (please note, tolerant, musical and lovely cats are required for the latter exercise, it works with dogs and humans too, this is an animal inclusive technique.   No animals were harmed in the making of this post)

• bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    Audiences love it when you make demented noises on acoustic. They are conditioned to expect strumming so it breaks their brains. :)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    Cirrus said:
    Rotary simulator by playing normal guitar with a wireless and spinning round really really fast.

What about attaching a portable amp to a strap around your neck and playing on a swivel chair? 
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    on a  serious note... pignose tricks:

wah - get someone to open an close the box while you play
    reverb - put it in a metal bucket.
    leslie - get someone to waft it with a dan dare annual while you're playing (Dan Dare ... not Dandy - that annual won't cut it)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Aux in on looper/jam pedal - Holding your phone speaker up against the guitar pickup.
    digitalscream;232486" said:
    Aziz Ibrahim doing delay and wah @ 4:53 and 5:35 respectively:

Just watching that now, really interesting.

;;)
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Aziz has to be one of the most under rated guitar players out there for my money.