Gear mood swings...do you suffer from them?

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4174
edited May 2019 in Off Topic
So, one week the only thing I want to play is a Jazzmaster through a clean Fender amp. Humbuckers and Marshall amps suck. Yeah, baby, this is my tone..twang!

And then...later that same month...

Hmmm...this Les Paul is actually not that bad. Especially through the Marshall. Humbuckers! Yeah, baby, this is the sound. That single coil shit can do one.

Or...

10s. I gotta have 10 gauge strings on all my guitars. Good girth, solid tone. Love it. 9s are way too weedy.

Later that month...

Hmmm...these 9s are real slinky. They bend just great. How did I ever manage with 10s? Let's swap these suckers out.

Rinse and repeat.

Anyone else? Is there a name for this?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Philtre said:

Is there a name for this?
    Expensive.
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Hybrid slinkys on a prs through a rift will sort all that nonsense. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2910
    Yep I'm the exact same. Having only one guitar and one amp helps from acting upon it but I have the worst cases of GAS and do shitloads of research before realising I can't realistically afford what I was GAS'ing for anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4174
    It's not really GAS for new stuff but rather switching between what I've already got. For example, since I got a Marshall head I hate the sound of the Fender Deluxe Reverb. And I know that'll be reversed next month.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3399
    Philtre said:

Anyone else? Is there a name for this?
    Grounds for divorce 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3060
    edited May 2019
    I go through this near weekly.

One week I want a high gain monster like a 5150 with a 7 string tuned down 12000 octaves.

The next I want a Strat into a little Friedman set up with a Delay pedal.

We just have so much choice available to us now days that we get silly with these things.
  • I did suffer from something similar, but a Variax through a multiFX means I have virtually limitless options... so naturally I only ever seem to play LP Special through a Marshall JCM800 or a Martin D28. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Only in the early years before I settled on my particular set-up. I know what suits me best and what I would call my comfort zone.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24498
    Yup.

I really want a Marshall SC20 (Mini JCM800) to go with my EMG loaded LP...

2 weeks ago I really wanted a proper twangy Telecaster and a Princeton.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31637
    It's perfectly normal, even musicians who are famous for earning their living in a narrow niche play all kinds of gear and styles when off duty. 

Saying a particular guitar/amp combination is your sound is silly, does that mean you can never pick up an acoustic or a bass? 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11806
    I want to buy about half the gear I see and hear.

What actually will improve my playing is practise, but looking at gear is much easier!!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Sounds like classic GAS to me ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    fickleism
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Sounds like classic GAS to me ;)
    No, not GAS.

More like CATS. You give your cat a new tasty pack of Sheba Succulent Selection and they love it. They'll eat nothing else. So you stock up on a 3 months' supply. Next week they hate it and never want to see it again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    Every few seconds
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    My gear mood swing is that I see something, get very enthusiastic about it and buy it - then after about a week I think “why did I do that?” and get down about why I waste money on stuff I don't need. Luckily, working for a shop means that I often get the chance to try stuff out properly before actually buying it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    I have a physical limit of space which means any purchase means sacrificing something else.  It also means I don't have space for an item I'm not using.

I have a strat, tele and a 335 copy, a modelling amp, a small combo for home and a blues jr for taking to jams and one pedal board.  That covers all the bases and means if I get bored of fendery sounds I can play humbuckers through a marshall voiced modeller.

I will move guitars on and buy others (for the sake of it often) but no more than 3 electrics (boss's rules) but I don't often dislike anything I have.
  • p90fool said:
    It's perfectly normal, even musicians who are famous for earning their living in a narrow niche play all kinds of gear and styles when off duty. 

John5 springs to mind. Famous as rock/metal player, is a chicken picking genius. 
    He is to telecasters what HarrySeven is to weird guitars.