pub band-- next step

What's Hot
midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
been playing in a pub covers band for the last 2 yrs, enjoying it, nice bunch of lads approx. 2 gigs a month. probly not the best bunch of musos in the world but we always go down well and get rebooked consistently. just thinking what our next step is.  what type of gigs can we look for, ie better paid, private functions etc. any advice welcomed. we don't do originals and our ages are 34- 52 all working fulltime so not looking for the bigtime but something a bit more than the £200-300 pub gigs we currently play.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Working Mens clubs are pretty good, generally £400 to £700 a gig. We play the same Stereophonics, Muse, Killers stuff in these as we do in the pubs, just an extra set as they tend to want 3 x 40 mins or similar

If you keep getting booked at the same venues try upping the price a little, if your getting the punters in they will probably be happy to pay more
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    tbh  sometimes we bring punters in, sometimes we don't, but we do seem appreciated, havnt had a very positive response contacting WM clubs and social clubs, they all seem to be dying on their feet around here, but will persevere. ive been told by a couple they would rather book a solo playing with a backing track or a duo....cost I guess.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Functions are really the only step up I see from pub gigs for covers bands. I've done pub gigs for years now, and I'm happy with that really. We do the odd party (we're playing a 50th this Saturday for someone who saw us play a regular gig).

You can get smart suits and a classy website and hit the wedding circuit, which pays better than pub gigs, but you're more likley to be left playing stuff you don't enjoy and less "facemelting" solos ;-)

Depends what you want really, money or fun (or that fine line where you get both!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588

Depends what you want really, money or fun (or that fine line where you get both!)

Or neither!

;-)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    ESBlonde said:

Or neither!

;-)

money/fun/contacts any two of the three and it's a goer.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    We're in a similar position. We had some bigger stuff a couple of years ago, but if you have to cancel anything or have availability issues there are plenty of bands who can do it in your absence. There's a band where I live who were on our undercard a couple of years ago but now they're playing as many gigs as they can do. I saw them on Saturday night and once the beer kicked in and I stopped comparing them to us I could see why they are where they are. 

You just have to keep the momentum up.... sigh.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    TBH if you can routinely get £200 to £300 for a pub covers gig you are doing pretty well! Functions, such as weddings, carry different expectations. Just simply take up a lot more time for a start as you may have to set up before the reception , take down afterwards,etc. If you end up working 8 hours on a saturday,wear a tie, play an enjoyable gig and get £150 in your own pocket wether that's better than 4 hours front door to front door, play more of your own choices and pocket £50 then that's a matter for yourself.

Originals bands generally have to put up with a lot more shit and often non paying gigs but with the promise of breaking through to something bigger. With a covers band the rewards are there early on but you may well have hit a ceiling.

Sorry, on a more practical note look to see what hotels, clubs,etc, locally put on entertainment and ask them how those acts get booked. A lot of places will book through an agency only so you then need to contact that agency. This may be a place that does puppet acts and Lady Gaga tributes  but they might get asked for a band from time to time and if you are the band on their books then Bob's yer mother's brother.  

Oh, you could rebrand yourself as a Tribute. Kick Up The 80's, Rock Classics Tribute, whatever. You might actually play pretty much the same set but think about the image ( doesn't have to be silly wigs, just has to look like you've thought about it)and in some circles the word Tribute has magic conotations and the club tribute act is generally bigger, better paid than the pub covers scene. Agian, £50 to be in your band playing the local boozer or £150 to play a dinner and Tribute night at the Days Inn. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    I used to play in a function band. We charged £300 to £500 for a private party, £500 to £800 for a wedding, and £800 to £1,200 for a corporate function. The pricing reflected the time, effort, travel, and equipment that was needed.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    thanks everyone for the input. id like to do a mixture of functions and pubs ( I like variety) but I think the others in the band are happy to just do pubs. time for a deep conversation with them I think. its not just about the money tho, I want to keep it fun.. as I never got the phone call from pink Floyd to stand in for mr. Gilmour my dreams of stardom have faded slightly.