Martin modified V neck profile?

TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
edited June 2019 in Acoustics
Literally *just* noticed that the guitar I was about to agree to buy has the modified V profile (was in the  very long spec list not in the model name) and wondering what folks' own experiences are of that ? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 767
    I've had a OM18V for the past 16 years and find the v neck okay. Initially, I loved it as I generally prefer acoustic necks with a fuller profile, but over the years I found it can be a bit more wearing on the hands over extended periods. Generally, the fingerboard at the nut and 12th fret are wider too on these models, so how that has an effect is also debatable. 

Your best bet is to get your hands on the guitar you are about to buy and give it an extended workout for at least an hour.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    Thanks.

yeah that's the challenge - it would be a remote buy (or a 2.5 hour drive to try) so I may need to pass 
    Red ones are better. 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    I just sold a Martin 00-18v last week. It was a heck of a guitar, with precisely that neck profile. I personally like fuller V necks, so I definitely loved it. But I'm also tried their modified low profile and I can see most people thinking of that as being more comfortable.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    edited June 2019
    I really really struggled with it. Not entirely sure why. Gave me major pain along back of my hand. It's not the size, as I currently have a few Gibson acoustics with possiby some of the fattest profiles I have ever seen on any guitar, one being a very large V, and I get on with them perfectly.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    As acoustics vary so much in many different aspects you cant take someone else's opinion as gospel.

4 hrs in a car is a small pay off if you find "the one" and equally it has the potential to save you 1k+ for the convenience of a home delivery.

3rd option is go to a shop with a load of stock and play everything in your budget. I'd take the third option personally 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.