The GigRig with HX Effects?

What's Hot
TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
Hey all. I’ve just bought a HX Effects. I use GigRig power supplies, Generator with Timelords, isolators and distributors. Can anyone tell me if I can use a Timelord straight into the HX or how is it done?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    You will need to satisfy the ma requirements. 

Find out what they are and weep at the cost of the gig rig modules you will need to power it
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    edited June 2019
    You will need to satisfy the ma requirements. 

Find out what they are and weep at the cost of the gig rig modules you will need to power it
    It’s not just the Ma requirements, that would be simple. It’s the polarity. I need a specific cable or something due to the polarity of the HX Effects. And I already have a load of gig rig stuff. It’s not too clear online.

I’ve been plagued for years with noise from crappy pedal power, decibel 11 etc power supplies, 0 noise now. Worth every penny. 

Any advice from someone who dealt with this issue? Thanks. 
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    I would imagine that the GigRig people would be VERY happy to help you with this. Have you tried emailing them?
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4775
    The DC input on the HX FX is a 2.5mm socket, not 2.1mm, and is centre-negative, 9v DC. The Line 6 power supply for mine is a DC-3G which can (apparently) supply 3A @ 9V DC.

People on the Internet are anecdotally saying it needs 2A to start up and then 1.2A when running. Line 6 say as little as possible other than "use the DC-3G". 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    Hmm so that’s a load of power. I’m not even sure how I’d accumulate that kind of power! I’ll probably just use the power supply it came with then. Is it isolated do you know? Noisy at all?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    See the source image
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    Hmm so that’s a load of power. I’m not even sure how I’d accumulate that kind of power! I’ll probably just use the power supply it came with then. Is it isolated do you know? Noisy at all?
    I can only speak for the HX Stomp.... the power supply is not isolated and did produce some noise for me.

I run mine through a Strymon with some adapters, of which I have a spare if anyone needs it 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I can only speak for the HX Stomp.... the power supply is not isolated and did produce some noise for me.

I run mine through a Strymon with some adapters, of which I have a spare if anyone needs it 
    How can a single power supply be not isolated?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    As isolated as any single 13A socket can be...  I'm running mine on a 4-gang extension from a single 13A socket in the wall. Another plug is used for my AMP1. No noise for me until you use noisy gain pedal effects - but that's the emulation, not extra noise in the circuit.

Something worth knowing for GigRig accessory users (or thinking about it)...  The Distributor is not isolated but works well for low-draw analogue pedals. The Isolator is isolated but each output has a low-amp limit that is not enough to start up a Line 6 M5. That limitation didn't use to be documented, but I believe it now is. They suggested I bought a Timelord just to run the M5. I just stuck with the Line 6 wall wart. I do have a Diago 3A brick which used to run all my pedals (except for the M5). I've been too lazy to see if it can run the HX FX.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 917
    I have a Diago brick and a couple of the 'copies' that were sold on the old Johnny Shredfreak website, all of them will power up and run my HX Stomp.
    Apparently the distributor into the HX should work fine. 
    It'll certainly deliver the power you need, but it won't be isolated. Are you planning on using any other pedals powered through the Distributor? Maybe the HX FX doesn't need to be isolated in the way the M-series pedals did. Even when the M5 was off and out of the audio path, I had audible noise over the power supply path until I went back to the Line 6 PSU.  I don't have anything else on the board now to test it with. I'm sure you'll be OK if there is nothing else taking power from your Generator. 

Good luck and let us know what happens! 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    John_A said:

How can a single power supply be not isolated?
    I’m not sure but I do know that several owners have had slight noise issues with the standard power supply...

Ive owner two that exhibited this. I now run through a Strymon Ojai with the adapter 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It'll certainly deliver the power you need, but it won't be isolated. Are you planning on using any other pedals powered through the Distributor? Maybe the HX FX doesn't need to be isolated in the way the M-series pedals did. Even when the M5 was off and out of the audio path, I had audible noise over the power supply path until I went back to the Line 6 PSU.  I don't have anything else on the board now to test it with. I'm sure you'll be OK if there is nothing else taking power from your Generator. 

I’ll be using a wah as well so will use an isolator added onto the distributor. Should be okay. 

It isn’t turning on. The cables all work fine but it’s just not turning on. Any idea why?. 

It isn’t turning on. The cables all work fine but it’s just not turning on. Any idea why?. 
    Do you mean the Generator is connected to the Distributor, and the cable running to the HX FX has power (cos you have a multimeter to test it) and there is a 2.5mm plug on the end, but the HX FX won't power up? But it does with the Line 6 PSU? You're sure that you've got the polarity correct? There is an opportunity for error if you get the white/black connectors the wrong way round. 

My only problem with the GigRig stuff was a poor connection inside the Distributor coz I didn't connect it right. 

I'm interested in your success, because I'm thinking of putting the Diago PSU back and using that and maybe the Distributor (it fits under the board nicely, the Line 6 PSU doesn't, and I might be putting another low draw 9v pedal back on ). 
    edited June 2019

Do you mean the Generator is connected to the Distributor, and the cable running to the HX FX has power (cos you have a multimeter to test it) and there is a 2.5mm plug on the end, but the HX FX won't power up? But it does with the Line 6 PSU? You're sure that you've got the polarity correct? There is an opportunity for error if you get the white/black connectors the wrong way round. 

My only problem with the GigRig stuff was a poor connection inside the Distributor coz I didn't connect it right. 

I'm interested in your success, because I'm thinking of putting the Diago PSU back and using that and maybe the Distributor (it fits under the board nicely, the Line 6 PSU doesn't, and I might be putting another low draw 9v pedal back on ). 
    I’ve got everything set up correctly as far as I can tell. I do not have a multimeter but I’ve plugged the same output into an isolator and then powered up another pedal and it works. The only thing it could be at this point is the adapter. It’s from Rockboard. 

I’ve ordered another one to test it. They’re only £4 delivered. 
    Okay that’s the wrong cable. That cable goes from centre negative to centre positive. Nothing to say that on the site. Could’ve damaged my pedal!!
    Okay that’s the wrong cable. That cable goes from centre negative to centre positive. Nothing to say that on the site. Could’ve damaged my pedal!!
    The item on the link you posted says...

"This RockBoard Power Ace Barrel Plug Converter, 2.1 x 5.5 mm to 2.5 x 5.5 mm Barrel is a power supply adapter that accomodates FX units such as Line 6 modeling pedals"

There's an inference there that it will work. Clearly, switching polarity without saying so is naughty, and yes - it could have fried a pedal if it didn't have some protection built in.