NAD! under-rated Marshall

What's Hot
tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
edited June 2019 in Amps
New amp day! What a fucking glorious thing.. I've never experienced a cranked non master volume amp before...

JCM800 1959

I almost feel bad it's eventually going to Dan Gower.

Not that bad though. But still.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Don't mod it. These are very rare amps - especially in that sort of condition - almost all JCM800 100-watters were MVs or split channels. This is the John Sykes amp...

They're astonishingly loud, it's true - you will need attenuation to get natural overdrive out of it at less than jet-engine volume. But you can get a decent attenuator for much less than modding it extensively, and a pedal in front will take care of any lack of outright gain.

Really, don't ruin it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699

Theres a Two Notes Reload on the top, the crunch really is rather stunning. I had it up to about 7 with patched inputs.

And I hear you, I really do, but this was the cheapest option for the Gower mods. Honestly this was cheaper than any reissue or clone I could find that he'd work with, and nearly every original 2203 for that matter

The sounds will still be there, but it'll have more than original.

I've had a KOT and TS in front of it already. Just doesn't do what the Kali mod does.

I do genuinely feel a little bad about it, because I wasnt exaggerating when i said it was glorious.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    tekbow said:
    New amp day! What a fucking glorious thing.. I've never experienced a cranked non master volume amp before...

JCM800 1959

I almost feel bad it's eventually going to Dan Gower.

Not that bad though. But still.

A great amp, keep it, treasure it!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    That is the only "very good" amp that Marshall have ever made.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was about to tear you a new one for playing a Yamaha Pacifica through a Soldano, but...
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I was about to tear you a new one for playing a Yamaha Pacifica through a Soldano, but...
    But... that's a Bacchus Imperial Pro ;)

Love that axe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3155
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Don't mod it. These are very rare amps - especially in that sort of condition - almost all JCM800 100-watters were MVs or split channels. This is the John Sykes amp...

They're astonishingly loud, it's true - you will need attenuation to get natural overdrive out of it at less than jet-engine volume. But you can get a decent attenuator for much less than modding it extensively, and a pedal in front will take care of any lack of outright gain.

Really, don't ruin it.
    +1

However much I love Gower’s mods, don’t ruin a proper vintage Marshall like everyone else does, be original by staying original
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    It's your amp to do with what you like, but please take a breath first. I modded my '73 JMP in the early 90's to "improve" it, and whilst what I did worked well, I did destroy any inherent value by drilling the chassis. It's back to stick now and sounding glorious but sporting rubber bungs in all the holes.
    http://imgur.com/c6PQbO1 ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    I do hear you guys, but I've made my peace with this one. If it's good enough for the likes of Sykes et al (Jose A modded his and many other old Marshalls) then it'll do for me.

edited June 2019
    To be fair, you've managed to make me feel quite guilty though lol 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Just piling on :) Wow that's Marshall museum quality...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    clarkefan said:
    Just piling on :) Wow that's Marshall museum quality...
    My photos probably make it look better than it is :lol:  Theres an empty hole in the rear panel that used to be a master volume and a clipped wire (one wire mod) over on the right of the circuit pic.
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    Wonderful!   I hear what everyone is saying but Dan’s mods are a different league. My ‘83 2203 has the mod and is the most glorious amp I own for heavy music. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Try a ds-1 or mxr dist+ first.

Then try something else, like a nice valve preamp pedal - probably same price as modding. You'll regret it - that looks class, and in great nick inside! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    spirit7 said:
    Wonderful!   I hear what everyone is saying but Dan’s mods are a different league. My ‘83 2203 has the mod and is the most glorious amp I own for heavy music.

The impression I get is that between the mid shift, thump switch and depth controls, you can dial in classic bright or modern thicker low mids and bass response on the Kali?