FRFR Backline?

What's Hot
BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
The band I'm in currently does it "old school" and want to hear the guitar coming from a backline amp and not from a monitor mix.
It's usually small pubs. I've been using either my Katana 100 or Mesa Express but want to utilise my AX8 more. My usual approach with the AX8 is to have my DXR10 as a wedge in front of me, with a feed to FOH but this wont work for this band.
I guess i could put the DXR10 behind me on a speaker stand to act as backline but what are my other options? I think things like the Atomic CLR or Redsound cabs are probably ideal but too spendy for me. 
Id be interested to hear what others have done without breaking the bank.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    edited June 2019
    I use a RCF speaker on a pole behind me - 80% of my guitar level is from that and 20% through pa with other guitarist for some spread in small pubs ( he uses amp ). I have a short tripod with small footprint that puts speaker at just above waist height. Sounds just like using my amp. I wouldn't spend more for pub gigs as no one cares apart from us about tone
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    You could take a pre cab block/IR feed to something like a Seymour Duncan Powerstage and cab of your choice. That’s what I do with Helix: a pre IR feed goes to a Powerstage and cab behind me to fill out the stage, a post IR feed goes to my monitor on the floor (EQ’d accordingly), FOH gets a post IR feed too. Those three components can then be mixed and matched accordingly without having to redo my patches... works well.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    @sw67 - what speaker stand are you using?ive got a couple but when the tripod is spread out the footprint takes up a lot of space.

@simonk -  that's an idea, ive got a quilter 101 mini head so i could plug a feed into the effects return on the quilter and then run that through the cab i use for the Mesa.

If i can achieve this through utilising what ive got that'd be the ideal scenario.  Thanks for the ideas. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    edited June 2019
    I do this at every gig.

Originally, I had 2 DXR10s pole-mounted either side of the drummer as a backline, being fed from the stereo outs of my Kemper (and AX8 before that).

Now, I'm using two RedSound LS12 cabs instead, which are on the floor (and give more of a guitar cab 'feel'), again on either side of the drummer.

For what you have, just stick the DXR10 on a pole at about chest height behind you. Try a hi cut around 6.5k, low cut around 100Hz.
  • Just use the DXR10 behind you in the wedge position pointing up at you. The wider dispersion patterns of these speakers means everyone in the band should hear you clearly. Run it direct from one of the outputs on the AX8. That's what I do with my FRFR speakers in pubs.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Used a dxr10 like this with helix loads of times
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Useful feedback and ideas so thanks all.
    Having not used the DXR10 as backline, i just wasn't sure it'd work but there's enough real world experience here to suggest it'll be fine.
  • dunstanmusdunstanmus Frets: 91
    There is a Xitone in the classifieds. If a CLR is too spendy have a look at these. Superb and in a different league.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    I'm another monitor behind (Alto TS210) / 'top up' via the PA (DXR12s) user.  I've been placing the Alto on the floor, wedge style, but at the last gig I tried it on a speaker stand behind me and I found it to be an improvement.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited June 2019
    There are options out there that are more 'guitar cab' in their format - Laney LFR112 and Line 6 powercab spring to mind.
    But I'm not sure wheether they'd be any better than your DXR and it sounds like you've already got hardware coming out of your ears anyway!

I've also heard of people running modellers into the loop of a Katana. I guess you have probably tried that already?

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 842
    for me, if I need old school backline I use a power station and traditional 2x12 (wit no cab sim obviously) with my afx.   gives the most old school response and tone.    For more controlled (ie function stuff ) i use the full ir capability, send to foh and monitor with my PA top (Yam DSR12 for me).
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 340
    There is a Xitone in the classifieds. If a CLR is too spendy have a look at these. Superb and in a different league.
    This
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom