Unpopular Opinion? Megadeth>>>>Metallica

What's Hot

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4919
    I've seen Megadeth (supporting Judas Priest), but have never been inclined to buy an album.

I've been in the same lift (in a hotel in Italy) as Metallica, but have never been inclined to buy an album.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    I prefer Megadeth to Metallica. There's also a greater catalogue of great albums from the band. Whereas Metallica were done by 91. While not every Megadeth album since then has been great there have been some really good ones (and a couple of shit ones). 

The other thing that Megadeth have going for them is apart from the debut album they've had solid production, whereas Metallica have released some real howlers in production terms. They totally fluffed the chance to release a proper "Justice for Jason" remix for the anniversary of And Justice for All.

We also have to remember that we were still seeing Mustaine writing credits by Metallica's second album. Mustaine was the stronger songwriter of the bunch. Megadeth have also had the benefit of two shit-hot lead guitarists for much of their career, and usually a very good drummer. Hetfield is an amazing rhythm guitarist, but he's let down by Lars and Kirk in terms of musical prowess. 

I'm a fan of both bands. But the difference is that I can listen and enjoy recent Megadeth releases, whereas to enjoy Metallica I'm listen to 30 year old records. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Garthy said:
    Megadeth were ‘better’ in every way except in one really important area, Mustaine’s vocals are awful. He should have hired a singer.
    He kept trying in the early days and it didn't work out. Eventually it was a case of "fine I'll do it myself". I've been in that situation in a band myself. And remember saying yes I know I can't sing, but at least out of the four of us I'm the one actually having a go. 

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    Anything after Master Of Puppets is pop music.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10384
    tFB Trader
    Garthy said:
    Megadeth were ‘better’ in every way except in one really important area, Mustaine’s vocals are awful. He should have hired a singer.
    He kept trying in the early days and it didn't work out. Eventually it was a case of "fine I'll do it myself". I've been in that situation in a band myself. And remember saying yes I know I can't sing, but at least out of the four of us I'm the one actually having a go. 
    Been there worn the T shirt!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Bye!

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Megadeth. By large and far. Metallica are tiny, nearly non-existent little things next to Megadeth. Yeah, they've been more successful, but they can't hold a candle to Megadeth, who are massively better musicians. Rust in Peace and Countdown are majestic. Those albums are not just a heavy metal turning point but a sublime hotchpotch of fusion, progressive rock, hard rock, metal, and even a touch of funk (listen to Lucretia) as well. But this is MY slant on this. Cheers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've only got one Megadeath album and it's in a similar strict thrash metal vein to the earlier Metallica albums.

Did Megadeath go on to make more "songful" material like Metallica on the black album onwards? Or did they stay strictly thrash metal?

If they did I'll need to check it out as I prefer the Metallica stuff that metal purists might call pop music. I do love the earlier stuff too though.
    thegummy said:
    Did Megadeath go on to make more "songful" material like Metallica on the black album onwards? Or did they stay strictly thrash metal?
    They've done both - made some quite commercial records - including one with Dan Huff producing. And also some very old school stuff too.  

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited June 2019
    First 4 Slayer Albums > First 3 Metallica Albums > First 4 Megadeth albums. Anything after 1990 for any of these bands is completely shit
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    First 4 Slayer Albums > First 3 Metallica Albums > First 4 Megadeth albums. Anything after 1990 for any of these bands is completely shit

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    edited June 2019
    Metallica were better in the 1980s.

Megadeth were better in the 1990s.

They've both been shit for a very long time since.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3244
    Which band was Chris Poland in?

Yeah, that one! ;)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I prefer Megadeth. I wouldn't necessarily judge them as better.
  • Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
    Shame Mustaine couldn't get Marty back. Didn't like some of the soulless lead guitarists that megadeth had and only Friedman and Poland cut the mustard. As for band comparison it's apples and oranges. Metallica have had terrible overloud mastering which makes their last few albums fatiguing to the ear. Actually would have like them to rework the st anger songs as some other guys have done on YouTube. The tones on that album are garbage. Menza was Megadeth most suited drummer but sadly he passed away. Best stuff is lightning, puppets, Peace Sells, rust in peace, Black and Countdown. 
  • Have you heard that twat sing? Fuck me
    edited June 2019
    Philly_Q said:
    They've both been shit for a very long time since.

I disagree. Endgame and Dystopia are terrific albums. The System Has Failed (which features the return of Chris Poland) is pretty damn good too. These are all post-2000 albums. 

• WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    I'd have to say that Megadeth have the better guitarists by a country mile.  Friedman is a total legend and so id Kiko in my honest opinion.  Marty brought that ethnic/oriental style to the shred which was a great influence to me (mostly before megadeth mind for me (Cacophony)).  I personally love Kiko's jazz/fusion stuff before Megadeth, which sort of negates his need to prove himself to me (check our either his solo album 'universo inverson' or on Cuca Teixeira's album Neural Code for proof).  Despite the my looks, I'm not really that much of a metal guy.  I do like some early Metallica and also Rust in Peace mind. But please don't hold that against me.  It's always been about guitarists and shred for me, whether that's Jazz, Metal or anything in between.
    Yeah Kiko is fantastic, love his playing. Really like Chris Broderick's leads too. 

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    After Cliff's passing Metallica have been on a steady decline imo. Megadeth's stuff is more complex generally and is more my thing now. When I was 17 in 1990 I thought Metallica were the best.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"