Samsung/android battery question FIXED!

What's Hot
Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
edited June 2019 in Off Topic

I'm not one for having the latest phone, preferring to pay £10 to Virgin Media for a Samsung Galaxy J3, but a little while ago the battery started draining a lot quicker than it had been, whether being used or sitting idle as it usually does.

I don't use it that much as I'm near a PC most of the time, and the only non-original app on it is WhatsApp so I can swap photos of my daughter with her mother. I usually have WiFi, Mobile Data, Location etc. turned off.

I suspect that one of the endless updates to something is the source of the problem, as if I switch to aeroplane mode it'll last for ages, suggesting that it's something actively using up the battery rather than the battery not holding a charge.

I've tried a soft reboot and a couple of other things to no avail, and I've ordered a replacement battery from eBay just in case, any suggestions of other things to try ?
"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4168
    There’s usually a way in Android (settings > battery) to see what’s hammering the juice by app.

Might give you a clue. Occasionally updates to the operating system can introduce a glitch that rinses the battery, usually one will be along shortly that fixes it if this is the case.

The battery might just be nearing its end of life. All devices sip power if you turn off the networks (aeroplane mode) and use a lot more when they're on so your new battery might solve the problem. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

I'll wait for the new battery and see then - I looked for anything that was using a lot of juice and nothing was indicated, which is why I ordered one - only a fiver (which might mean it's not genuine, but fingers crossed) but if the problem goes away I'll know straight away, if nothing changes I'll at least know it's not the battery.

New battery in and charged - it looks to be doing better than the previous one :)

As far as I can recall, I've never had to buy a replacement battery before which is why I didn't immediately assume that was the problem, that and the problem appearing to have begun suddenly, which made me think it might be a software issue.

You live and learn !
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I have the exact same problem with my J3, I bought a new battery too but it hasn't made any difference, still drains in a few hours.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited June 2019
    Check location settings and push notifications in individual app and global settings. (Also disable auto update for everything) These can mean you're connecting to the network often and 4g data uses far more battery than wifi. 

Update: the new battery didn't survive the night before dying, so there's still a problem (this with power saving turned on).

I only ever turn wifi or mobile data on when I need to, and don't have location or anything else I don't need turned on.

My assumption is that it's a recent update to something that's done it, maybe deliberately like they did with the iPhone a while ago? (and maybe still do) so that you end up forced to upgrade = more sales.

Whatever the reason - a curse upon them !

I've forced it to connect to 2G/3G only, if it makes a difference I'll let you know.
    Paul_C said:

Update: the new battery didn't survive the night before dying, so there's still a problem (this with power saving turned on).

I only ever turn wifi or mobile data on when I need to, and don't have location or anything else I don't need turned on.

My assumption is that it's a recent update to something that's done it, maybe deliberately like they did with the iPhone a while ago? (and maybe still do) so that you end up forced to upgrade = more sales.

As I mentioned, I have exactly the same problem. I tried everything including a factory reset but still no joy, so I took the phone to the Samsung shop on Oxford Street where they have a diagnostic and repair department. They plugged my phone into a computer, pushed a few buttons and stuff and then told me there's nothing wrong with the phone. I told them there obviously is something wrong as it used to last a few days on a full charge and now, all of a sudden, it only lasts a few hours and has to be charged twice a day, even if I don't use it, and that's with a new battery put in it. Their answer to that was "Well, it is over a year old now". I think these phones are probably rubbish, or they just wanted me to buy a new one.

• IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    I've been having a similar problem with my LG E970. Its previous battery was properly shattered and I literally had to struggle to get hold of a new one. I eventually pulled it off but it soon turned out that this brand new one should definitely last longer than it did. WiFi and Mobile Data turned off. No auto updates at all. I refuse to splurge on a new mobile so I've started to look for a new battery again, though I've sort of leapt to the conclusion that something may be wrong with my mobile which makes its battery start draining a lot quicker than it should.
    proggy said:
    Paul_C said:

As I mentioned, I have exactly the same problem. I tried everything including a factory reset but still no joy, so I took the phone to the Samsung shop on Oxford Street where they have a diagnostic and repair department. They plugged my phone into a computer, pushed a few buttons and stuff and then told me there's nothing wrong with the phone. I told them there obviously is something wrong as it used to last a few days on a full charge and now, all of a sudden, it only lasts a few hours and has to be charged twice a day, even if I don't use it, and that's with a new battery put in it. Their answer to that was "Well, it is over a year old now". I think these phones are probably rubbish, or they just wanted me to buy a new one.

It's probably an update that has deliberately cursed it then, a deliberate ploy to sell more phones. The trouble is they don't realise how stubborn I can be in these situations ;)

Before I went to bed the phone itself said there was enough in the battery to last 23hrs and it lasted less than 12.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Paul_C said:
    It's probably an update that has deliberately cursed it then, a deliberate ploy to sell more phones. The trouble is they don't realise how stubborn I can be in these situations ;)

Before I went to bed the phone itself said there was enough in the battery to last 23hrs and it lasted less than 12.
    It's a shame your new battery didn't help - I guess that would have been too easy :)

I've seen updates do this - keep check for another and there's a good chance it'll be fixed.  Google and Android have many ills, but I'm not sure deliberately hobbling the battery Apple-style is one of them. That doesn't preclude some wonky bit of code that's rinsing the battery though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Yesterday between 12:45 and 3:45 with power saving off, it went from 100% to 90%

Today between 2:30 and 4:30 with power saving on, but more importantly, with it set to 2G and 3G (auto connect) only, it has gone from 100% to . . . 100% - which is a promising start.

100% @ 2:30pm
    97% @ 5:30pm
    97% @ 7:30pm

@Winny_Pooh may well have sorted out my problem :) hopefully it'll work for some of the others in this thread too.

Paul_C said:

100% @ 2:30pm
    97% @ 5:30pm
    97% @ 7:30pm

@Winny_Pooh may well have sorted out my problem hopefully it'll work for some of the others in this thread too.

What does 2G and 3G mean?

Wikipedia says "4G is the fourth generation of broadband cellular network technology"

I found the following on Virgin Media:

To disable 4G:

1.From the home screen tap Apps.
    2.Tap Settings.
    3.Tap Mobile networks.
    4.Tap Network mode.
    5.Tap WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) or WCDMA only.

I didn't find the WCDMA stuff on my phone, but I did find 2G/3G (auto connect) and tapped that.

Yesterday after 7 hours the charge had dropped from 100% to 75% and the phone was dead this morning.

Today after 7 hours the charge has dropped from 100% to 94% (with power saving on), I'm going to leave it like that overnight and see what state it's in tomorrow, but that's more like the battery drain I'm used to.

I'm assuming it's been spending its time trying to find a 4G connection and failing, trying and failing etc. or something about 4G is freaking it out.

Either way, my phone seems to be back to its old self, but we'll see ;)

I'll give it a go with mine. Thanks for the info.

Definitely sorted for me - just checked my phone and instead of being totally drained . . . 90% charge.

One last message before I let this drop ;)

2:30pm yesterday 100%

5:30pm today - 86%

The phone has been on the whole time and used intermittently for texting.

So thanks for the suggestions - if anyone wants a battery for a J3 I've almost certainly got a working spare (the replacement is still in for now but might get changed if I get bored and/or curious).
    Paul_C said:

Wikipedia says "4G is the fourth generation of broadband cellular network technology"

I found the following on Virgin Media:

To disable 4G:

1.From the home screen tap Apps.
    2.Tap Settings.
    3.Tap Mobile networks.
    4.Tap Network mode.
    5.Tap WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) or WCDMA only.

I didn't find the WCDMA stuff on my phone, but I did find 2G/3G (auto connect) and tapped that.

Yesterday after 7 hours the charge had dropped from 100% to 75% and the phone was dead this morning.

Today after 7 hours the charge has dropped from 100% to 94% (with power saving on), I'm going to leave it like that overnight and see what state it's in tomorrow, but that's more like the battery drain I'm used to.

Thanks for that @Paul_C I've set the 2G/3G auto connect, fully charged my phone, left it on overnight and this morning it's reading 98%. Brilliant, that little trick has fixed my phone too.

Thanks again

Steve.