Digitech Whammy vs Floyd Trem

TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
I know they won’t sound exactly the same but will the Whammy pedal emulate Floyd Rose style tremolo effects, dive bombing etc close enough to pull off a bit of Van Halen, Pantera and Satriani? 

Only other option is to buy a Floyd equipped guitar for a handful of songs which seems like overkill.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
    Try a ricochet if you want a smaller footprint. You can adjust the ramp up or down speed or instant for pitch shifting
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Yamaha77 said:
    Try a ricochet if you want a smaller footprint. You can adjust the ramp up or down speed or instant for pitch shifting
    Don’t mind the larger unit- my main query is whether the pedal can emulate a locking tremolo well enough to blag a few EVH and Satriani classics
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162
    Tracking of multiple notes isn't very good on the Whammy- you may end up sounding more like Tom Morello than Eddie Van Halen.

For single string dive bombs or pull-ups a Whammy pedal might work, but you might get close enough with any Strat style guitar with a wiggle stick. It's easy enough to fool the ear in to thinking it's heard a bigger bend than it did.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    TINMAN82 said:

Don’t mind the larger unit- my main query is whether the pedal can emulate a locking tremolo well enough to blag a few EVH and Satriani classics
    Just about, in a band context where all you really want is an obvious pitch dive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10708
    You can but it works even better if you put a spring in it so you can stamp on it and let go, just like a whammy bar
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    look at the boss ps6  - can do a number of pitch bend emulations up n down  - satch n vai n eddie ish ... 

plus it does a lot more for less footprint ...
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    JMP220478 said:
    look at the boss ps6  - can do a number of pitch bend emulations up n down  - satch n vai n eddie ish ... 

plus it does a lot more for less footprint ...
    Good call, thanks. Have one of these incoming and will report back. I reckon even if it doesn’t emulate a whammy bar well enough (hoping an expression pedal hooked up to it might help) the harmonies will be cool for Queen and Thin Lizzy covers.