Guitar Leads... Simple Question

What's Hot
AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
How much do you have to spend on a decent 6ft or 10ft lead that won’t screw up after a year? I usually go for the £10 sort of figure, but they just don’t last. Brand recommendations welcome please.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1093
    If gigging and recording often buy the best you can afford. I use Mogami gold cable which costs a bit (£30+) but I've had them for almost a decade. Coil them up properly too and they'll pretty much last a lifetime! If they do break or anything Mogami will send a replacement as its covered under a lifetime guarantee!

Next step would probably be Fender/Planet Waves, I own a few PW cables for home use and they're pretty good.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    edited June 2019
    I got some made up by @robinbowes ...excellent cables, great price and pretty sure they last for years (as long as I don’t bash them around!). Fine chap to deal with too....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    If you can solder, then make them yourself.

Failing that, there are one or two people on here who make them, or Award-Session are good:

https://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.php
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've used award session and they're good but I moved to designacable because they offer different colour options.

Both use the same Van Damme cable and Neutrik connectors which I've heard knowledgeable people on this forum say is a great combination.

So really it's the same cables from either, just different people soldering the ends on to the cables.

If you're happy with black cables, you'll see from the above link that it's barely much more than you're already paying and it's very high quality.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3050
    You don't need to spend a lot on leads, as long as they're well-constructed with good quality materials, ie. Neutrik jacks, Van Damme / Sommer cable.

I can make you one for less than £15 (on my phone now so no access to my quote spreadsheet). Many happy customers from these very forums. :)

R. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9718
    thegummy said:
    ... I moved to designacable because they offer different colour options.

Both use the same Van Damme cable and Neutrik connectors which I've heard knowledgeable people on this forum say is a great combination.

^ This.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3426
    I have Cornish cables that were expensive, but are probably 15 years old and well gigged and still solid.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72511
    My Horizon Vintage II cables are still fine after over 20 years, although I have finally replaced all the plugs with Neutriks after a few of the original Switchcrafts started getting a bit loose internally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    My Horizon Vintage II cables are still fine after over 20 years, although I have finally replaced all the plugs with Neutriks after a few of the original Switchcrafts started getting a bit loose internally.
    Kinda like Trigger's broom? ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    robinbowes said:

Kinda like Trigger's broom? ;)
    Not at all, unless Trigger’s broom always had the same handle :). I haven’t changed any of the cables, only the plugs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I used to have the same problem. Cheap leads are false economy. 

I have been using (4 out of 5) of the same gigging leads for 20 years now. I retired one last year and replaced it with a well shielded Orange one. Fender ones are very good now too.

In the studio I have been using Whirlwind Leaders for about 10 years. 
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    My Van Damme branded leads ( Neutrik plugs I think) have not failed in what must be close to 20 years. Probably not as heavy use as some others but probably not as well looked after either. Actually the patch cables have survived all sorts of gymnastics. 

Jeepers I should play the guitar more. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27149
    Big fan of the Neutrik/Van Damme combo here.

I also have a couple of Whirlwind Leader cables that I'm fairly sure will outlast me - probably my longest-serving piece of gear and never needed fixing 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    AlexC said:
    How much do you have to spend on a decent 6ft or 10ft lead that won’t screw up after a year? I usually go for the £10 sort of figure, but they just don’t last. Brand recommendations welcome please.
    6ft guitar lead, Neutrik jacks (straight), Van Damme XKE Instrument cable: £11.69
    10ft guitar lead, Neutrik jacks (straight), Van Damme XKE Instrument cable: £13.11

Both plus postage.

R.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I've had a couple of Whirlwind cables for over 30 years.
    I think the main thing with cables is to be careful with them. Don't tread on the plugs, don't be rough with them, don't pull on them, etc...
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3663
    crunchman said:
    If you can solder, then make them yourself
    And if you can’t, may I suggest that you consider learning how to.  There are plenty of online ‘how to’ vids, a temperature controlled iron isn’t that expensive and it really isn’t that difficult.

Use Neutrik connectors and decent quality cable (Van Damme, Sommer).  Lead containing solder is easier to work with than lead free but I don’t know how easy it is to buy these days (I’m working with my old stock).  Also learn how to coil leads (over / under method for longer leads) to avoid putting tight bends into cable.
  • Musicwolf said:
    Also learn how to coil leads (over / under method for longer leads) to avoid putting tight bends into cable.
    Agreed.
    Or you can loosely fold the cables instead to avoid inducing 'twist' as well. It works well.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    Or you can loosely fold the cables instead to avoid inducing 'twist' as well. It works well.
    Or you can fold them several times and then tie them in a large knot, like they do in the shop I work for.

And wonder why they constantly break...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8740
    Better quality leads do not just last longer, they don’t crackle when you move them.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5863
    Fender Custom Shop 10ft Cable, Tweedy Iron Flex type.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-Custom-Shop-3m-Instrument-Cable-Tweed/JCD?origin=product-ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj9qd7d7u4gIVyqgYCh3TWgzqEAkYAyABEgIHBPD_BwE

Had mine 5 years, still good. I think the most important thing for cable longevity is coiling them correctly, putting a cable wrap around them and storing them correctly in your Gig Bag/Box whatever. Some people just scrunch them up any old how and wonder why they don't last.

Much better than the Fender Professional ones and only a £2-ish difference.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.