Prostate

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265

The thing with most forms of cancer, is that if picked up early, most cases are successfully treated.

Blokes are rubbish at health prevention. I'm 50 this year, and guilty of thinking I am bomb proof. Admitting that you aren't Peter Pan, and are getting to the part of life where things break, go wrong etc, is not really so easy. I don't think that we should expect this admission to be easy either. Whatever, ignoring things can be fatal.

Actually, it's not that hard to check your own prostate you know. Finger up, a bit forward, it should be golf ball sized and smooth. If it's bobbly then that's a sign something is awry.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    In all seriousness, the smear of pooh test by post / colonoscopy would've saved my mate (who is still hanging on btw, not least for his daughter's wedding today).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Had my prostate removed in 2011 after a positive diagnosis...........another medical variant on "I Left my Heart In San Francisco" .... ;)

Don't get stoic guys........get it checked early doors.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1028
    I said to a female Dr, do you enjoy your work as she slipped on the rubber glove.....next 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • Snap said:

Actually, it's not that hard to check your own prostate you know. Finger up, a bit forward, it should be golf ball sized and smooth. If it's bobbly then that's a sign something is awry.

Well I tried. Now I need a new finger. Thanks for that.

Bye!

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Finger Golf!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

pmsl. I check mine all day, every day. Sitting at desk position is a little awkward, but it's worth it, lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    They don't like it if you do it on the Tube.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    I said to a female Dr, do you enjoy your work as she slipped on the rubber glove.....next 
    My mate swears that when his doctor had the finger up his bum he asked "I expect you're wondering what's for tea tonight ?"  =) =)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • scrumhalf said:
    They don't like it if you do it on the Tube.
    Depends what time it is.

Bye!

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Finger up the arse is worse than a colonoscopy. Depending on the size of the finger obviously. But neither are very traumatic.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    Snap said:

I hope it wasnt your fretting hand as the callouses would decrease diagnostic sensitivity
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1176
    merlin said:
    We have a very pretty Asian doctor just joined our surgery.  I'm 63 and she suggested I should have my prostate checked.  I didn't argue  :)
    I had a full medical examination, including prostate check, when I was in Thailand. My brother (who's been living in Bangkok for over 25 years) recommend a practice it was cheap, easy and quick except that the really beautiful and young Thai nurse, as she was donning her rubber gloves said, "Please don't worry, it's usual to get an erection during the procedure", I said gritting my teeth, "I think I won't get one". She replied "I'm not talking about you". 
     :o 
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    edited June 2019
    Some facts, most of these are population level and can be hard to understand as an individual patient

Medically the lifetime risk of developing prostate cancer is 16 percent, but the risk of dying of prostate cancer is only 2.9 percent - It's clear none of us want it but also very few of us will die of it.

If you want to live longer - dont smoke, dont drink, eat healthily, exercise and be boring

Don't be reassured FALSELY if you have symptoms and your GP feels your gland and says don't worry !!!!  It means fuck all.  As a screening test to pick up early prostate cancer your GP probably isn't very experienced at detecting it anyway. He simply wont do enough exams or feel enough cancers.  Younger GPs receive so little training these days its unlikely they ever felt a cancerous nodule/gland enlargement

To be honest, and this is on a population level, 
    there is no high-level evidence that rectal screening improves survival outcomes.  

PSA also does not work as a screening test very usefully. Negative tests should not falsely reassure especially if you have symptoms.

Hopefully MRI scan will become used as a good screening tool and determining need for treatment as some cancers may perhaps not ever need treating
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    ...its not the finger in the arse so much as the massive prod they do to the Prostate - eyes pop-out uncomfortable.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I've got a kidney scraper.

Bye!

• RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    There is no need for smutty comments about prostate inspection.  It is a standard medical procedure, one that can save or prolong your life.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited June 2019
    Rocker said:
    There is no need for smutty comments about prostate inspection.  It is a standard medical procedure, one that can save or prolong your life.
    You're just jealous that you aren't brave enough to finger your own ass.

Jokes aside, wasn't quite where I expected the thread to go, but yknow... embrace the novelty and all that!

Bye!

• SRichSRich Frets: 763
    I agree with @Blaendulais on the MRI issue.......I wasn't offered a scan - despite going private healthcare and I didn't know sufficient to challenge the issue at the time. The biopsy used for prostate cancer is woefully random.........an MRI is a far better (IMHO) and more significant indicator.......although I'm not a surgeon!

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Bought some Saw Palmetto, worth a try.
    Mine is slightly enlarged, I was checked a few months ago.