• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    Tony Iommi might like 'em.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Is this a joke?

Well, my gf seems to be tickled....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    I guess thimble sales have been in decline lately (since the industrial revolution) and now they've found themselves a new market
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    They're a godsend, they protect my reverse French manicure during particularly vigorous bouts of shredding and tapping.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    As used by burglars and safecrackers everywhere.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4918
    I'd consider one if I'd cut myself.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    that Scott wossname, the bass tutor guy, wears gloves to protect his fretting hand. I'd like to see something invented to wear on my picking hand so I can play bass but also keep my fingerpicking fingernails. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    VimFuego said:
    that Scott wossname, the bass tutor guy, wears gloves to protect his fretting hand. I'd like to see something invented to wear on my picking hand so I can play bass but also keep my fingerpicking fingernails. 
    Etienne MBappe from John McLaughlin's 4th Dimension band wears black silk gloves on both hands. Sounds amazing too.  I’d always assumed that gloves would kill the tone and sustain but he reckons he wears them to preserve the brightness of the strings. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Is this related to the Prostate thread?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    boogieman said:
    VimFuego said:
    Etienne MBappe from John McLaughlin's 4th Dimension band wears black silk gloves on both hands. Sounds amazing too.  I’d always assumed that gloves would kill the tone and sustain but he reckons he wears them to preserve the brightness of the strings. 
    I did once think of trying something similar, but I reasoned (possibly not correctly as I never tried it) that any glove thin enough to still let you feel the string, would be too thin to dampen the effects of the nails on the string. 

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4918
    VimFuego said:
    That's because he has a skin condition.
    prowla said:
    VimFuego said:
    I know, I was using it as an example of how wearing something on the fretting hand is not unheard of. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    tFB Trader
    @Moltisanti - Are these the same/similar to what you have used for a while - Can't recall while you use them 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    VimFuego said:
     How about those black rubber gloves that carpenters and plumbers use
    cloth backing with rubber grip on the fingers
    VimFuego said:
    prowla said:
    VimFuego said:
    I know, I was using it as an example of how wearing something on the fretting hand is not unheard of. 
    I had no idea who you were talking about so I looked him up.  Someone might be interested, he has a condition I've never heard of, focal dystonia, which means his fingers move uncontrollably.  The gloves help to suppress it.  See from 4'25" here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOVGrGBeqiI
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    Philly_Q said:
    VimFuego said:
    prowla said:
    VimFuego said:
    I had no idea who you were talking about so I looked him up.  Someone might be interested, he has a condition I've never heard of, focal dystonia, which means his fingers move uncontrollably.  The gloves help to suppress it.  See from 4'25" here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOVGrGBeqiI
    I’ve got a mate who used to be the bassist in the Hamsters, Andy Billups. He had focal dystonia too but recovered enough to play again professionally by changing his playing style and “re-educating” the nerves in his hands. He uses a thumb pick and has a very static picking hand... so static that he’d sometimes get accused of miming over a backing track. More info here http://www.thehamsters.co.uk/interviews/dystonia.php
    VimFuego said:
     How about those black rubber gloves that carpenters and plumbers use
    cloth backing with rubber grip on the fingers
    I think I have those already, I use them for gardening (cos I like to protect my hands from nasties), they're thin enough to use for fine work like weeding, carpentry etc but I never thought to use them for bass playing, I will give the a try. 

boogieman said:
    I’ve got a mate who used to be the bassist in the Hamsters, Andy Billups. He had focal dystonia too but recovered enough to play again professionally by changing his playing style and “re-educating” the nerves in his hands. He uses a thumb pick and has a very static picking hand... so static that he’d sometimes get accused of miming over a backing track. More info here http://www.thehamsters.co.uk/interviews/dystonia.php
    Thanks, very interesting!  I have seen the Hamsters once, many years ago, they must have been supporting someone but I can't remember who it was.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    edited June 2019
    VimFuego said:
    He does it due to some.neurological condition iirc - the sensation/pressure on his skin relieves it and gives him control back 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    VimFuego said:
    He does it due to some.neurological condition iirc - the sensation/pressure on his skin relieves it and gives him control back 
    yeah, I know.