Mark Knopfler Stratocaster Signature model

What's Hot
WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
I've been tentatively looking to see if one of these guitars comes onto the market.I haven't seen one (looking for about 4-5 months.I know they have ceased production.How good are they ? Did many find their way to the UK? Anyone know what the going rate is for one in prime condition?
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14236
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    I saw a clean, as new with case/tags at Gardiner + Houlgate about a week ago - fetched around £1700 + 24% fees - Whilst some will say that is high, you'd be lucky to find a good example for under £1500 today and I've seen private sales asking 2K plus

As an overview, a simplistic answer is that it is an AVRi with a signature and a different finish regarding colour - That is probably the cynical answer

Fine as a USA vintage reissue and does what it says on the tin

Not sure how many got shipped to the UK, but more than likely in the hundreds and not 10's
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    I've been tentatively looking to see if one of these guitars comes onto the market.I haven't seen one (looking for about 4-5 months.I know they have ceased production.How good are they ? Did many find their way to the UK? Anyone know what the going rate is for one in prime condition?
    Thanks

I tried one years ago in a shop.  A Mexican Classic series in the same shop sounded a lot better.  Probably partly due to the Texas Special pickups in the Knopfler.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    62 reissue neck shape on 57 style heavily contoured ash body IIRC - non-standard colour. In other words ‘a parts bin’ signature guitar that isn’t ‘that’ different from other vintage style Strats. The deal-breaker for me would be the Texas Special pick-ups - awful sounding things to my ears.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    There was one on here a little while ago wasn't there?
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Build one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    There was one on here a little while ago wasn't there?
    think so - Wasn't it in/on the Isle of Wight - Can't recall who ????
    edited June 2019
    No, it was @jimkehoe , who's in Dorking I think. It had a story about a replacement neck, but it was kosher. He traded it.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    edited June 2019
    I saw a clean, as new with case/tags at Gardiner + Houlgate about a week ago - fetched around £1700 + 24% fees - Whilst some will say that is high, you'd be lucky to find a good example for under £1500 today and I've seen private sales asking 2K plus

As an overview, a simplistic answer is that it is an AVRi with a signature and a different finish regarding colour - That is probably the cynical answer

Fine as a USA vintage reissue and does what it says on the tin

Not sure how many got shipped to the UK, but more than likely in the hundreds and not 10's
    I was there it went for £2k plus fees, I didn’t get what I wanted Mrs M got a very nice Vintage SA50
    https://bid.gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/129?page=1&view=grid&key=Knopfler&sale=undefined&catm=any&order=order_num&xclosed=no&featured=no
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    No, it was @jimkehoe , who's in Dorking I think. It had a story about a replacement neck, but it was kosher. He traded it.
    recall the neck story now - Thanks
  • WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
    Thank you for all the replies. So the one at Gardiner Houlgate went for £2480 !! Finding one at £1500 could be a good deal but probably impossible. It looks very much as though they have become an appreciating collector's item.I won't be buying at the 2k mark though.Cheers all.
    edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    Thank you for all the replies. So the one at Gardiner Houlgate went for £2480 !! Finding one at £1500 could be a good deal but probably impossible. It looks very much as though they have become an appreciating collector's item.I won't be buying at the 2k mark though.Cheers all.
    keep searching and enjoy the search

I saw that MK Strat for sale in GH - I thought it might be valued at around £1700-1900 to sell in a shop, so obviously a dealer would need to buy it at less than that - So to see it at 2K + fees (£2480) totally surprised me - Hard to say it is not worth that as some has just purchased it and I dare say 2 or 3 others were bidding against them, to get it towards that price
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jamesoliver1234jamesoliver1234 Frets: 1268
    edited June 2019
    ive got one did 100s of gigs with it until i got my real 61... lovely sounding /playing guitar... mine has lots of dings and marks though but i may sell it... i got mine from guitarguitar in 2013...

video of me using mine 5 years ago with my old band. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POgrxHa3bPY

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I recall that in an interview once he said that it was basically just a regular strat with no features. I couldn't see the point in buying one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
    ive got one did 100s of gigs with it until i got my real 61... lovely sounding /playing guitar... mine has lots of dings and marks though but i may sell it... i got mine from guitarguitar in 2013...

video of me using mine 5 years ago with my old band. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POgrxHa3bPY

Thanks for posting that , great stuff. You’re gigging with your 61? Brave. PM me if you put it up for sale .
    These were Mexican made weren't they? Is there a USA version too?
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    the one i played was really badly finished, first i got a blister on my little finger, then i got a blister on my thumb.......sorry
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Didn’t they have bigger frets ? 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    the one i played was really badly finished, first i got a blister on my little finger, then i got a blister on my thumb.......sorry
    Unless you’re intending buy one, why worry?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    These were Mexican made weren't they? Is there a USA version too?
    No, they were US.  Similar to the AVRI but more expensive and with worse pickups.