Paying for gardener / cleaner / ironing!

What's Hot
I've had to admit defeat in that after a long day at work and drive home, I've no time to do the things I love and can barely keep up with household maintenance. Couple guys at work get a cleaner in to do their house but I don't fancy that. Another person I know gets their ironing done - I hadn't even considered this. However after a deal with my step-daughter... she will be doing our ironing now #win. 

So that leaves the garden. My lawnmower just died for a second time and I decided I'm either going to get somebody in to tend to the garden once every 2-3 weeks.... or maybe even just hip the lot and put on a log & pots display. Maybe then I can sit down and play my guitar again like I used to. What do you think - keep the grass or chip the lot lol?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Not ashamed to admit I have all three services bought (well cleaner doubles as ironer), and our house isn’t big and our garden is what you’d call small, but all three are the last things I want to do when I make it to another weekend!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526
    My garden is 100 ft long and it takes me less than 10 mins to cut. The secret is to make sure your paths and borders are under or level with your grass so you can mow the lawn without the need for a strimmer ;)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    In Britain we are proud to do our own maintenance. In India they are proud to be able to afford to pay someone else to do it. You employ a housekeeper who employs a cleaner who employs someone else to clean the toilet.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    It all comes down to simple economics. 

How much is your time worth? If you'd rather pay someone else to do chores for you because free time is worth more, then go for it.

How many people wash their own cars now? 

I used to spend 3 hours of a weekend doing a meticulous polish and detail on mine. Now I drive it through my local hand car wash and pay the guys £5 to spend 5 minutes cleaning my car. They do it far more efficiently than I could do, I no longer need to get a hose out onto the road or buy loads of cleaning products. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    3 hours a weekend cleaning your car? feck me, don't think I've done that this side of the millennium. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Do you lot live in Downton Abbey?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Electro_HamElectro_Ham Frets: 102
    Keep the grass. Weeds will just grow up through chips and you'll need to do weeding. I'm considering laying turf on all the pebbled areas of my garden. Mowing the lawn is the easiest out-door task I need to do. 

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Time vs money, defo!! 
    It takes me aaages to clean my bathroom never mind do the garden etc, which I've been doing for nearly two years now. 

I used to think this sort of thing was for rich folk but stuff it lol.

What if hardcore is put down first...? So undecided on this point. Will see what quotes I get!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I'll ask my butler what my matron thinks. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    @dindude how much do you pay for these? Just curious - I have no reference point.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    Yes to a gardener! We’ve had one for years - he only comes once a fortnight for an hour so if I’m minded to in peak growing season I can mow the lawns on the weeks he doesn’t come. If I beat him to the lawns he’ll still come and do the borders or vegetable patch.

I don’t think I could have a cleaner - I’d have to clean before they came as I’d be too embarrassed about leaving it messy for the cleaner. That sounds odd I know...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    Ten years ago we had both the lawns (front and rear) ripped out, membrane put down and the lot covered in stone chippings - we did this because I don't do gardening and Our Maud was fed up of mowing the weeds and moss masquerading as "lawn".

The membrane keeps the weeds out.  It took 7 tons of stones (3 at the front, 4 at the back) at £65 per ton.  She planted several shrubs in strategic spots by cutting the membrane just enough to be able to dig them in.

Ten years on it still looks good (well, it suits us!) and we have no weeds.  The shrubs need pruning at appropriate seasons, but that's not much of a chore.  Low maintenance gardening FTW!

• Me and the wife both own a cleaning company each.
    We use eco friendly cleaning products and have fantastic staff that do cleaning, ironing and general care work.

We charge customers £15 per hour, but that is is about to go up.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Shetland ponies or rams are great organic lawnmowers.
    When logic and proportion
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Getting a cleaner is the best money I've ever spent. We both work long hours and have better things to do than cleaning the house. We also pay someone to do our ironing.
    I enjoy gardening but would have no issue with paying someone to do it if I didn't enjoy it
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26991
    We have a cleaner one day a week who cleans & irons immediately before the weekend so we get maximum benefit for the days we're actually going to be at home. I don't mind cleaning or ironing when needed, but as a time/money consideration it's a no brainer 

We don't have a garden
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    We both work, so a cleaner/ironer means we have more time at weekends.

We flip-flop with gardeners, I like mowing lawns, I don't like cutting hedges. Mrs J loves digging, but gets narked that I don't. - Gardener does resolve the tension, but not as much as the Cleaner/Ironer.

When we were first together I did the ironing - and used it to watch the Telly, and I was pretty damn good at it ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    We do have a very large garden - thanks to living in a big vicarage (my wife being the vicar) - but neither of us has any interest in gardening. So we do pay a gardener to keep the place tidy. It'd be a jungle in no time otherwise. 

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited June 2019
    "Hello Ted"

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    We lose so much time at the weekend doing necessary household chores, and that's with me working from home most days and being able to chip in and run a hoover around the place, put on a wash, prepare food and I'm no slouch.

We recently came to the conclusion that a cleaner is needed and that £30-40 a week/every 2 weeks will improve our lives and we'll get some much-needed downtime and family time.

Thomas - do it :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom