Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening

What's Hot
SRichSRich Frets: 762
And in the long line of 'Health for the Aged' posts of late........

I've been invited to have this done.....proudly available to 'all men during their 65th year'.

It's great getting older......... ;)

Anyone else been screened? 

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Not me, but my brother in law had a triple bypass 9 years ago at 63. He's never looked fitter. They've just bought a new house and having plans to convert it and install a baby grand in the music room.
    Don't pass up the options to get checked for these kind of things. We're not good at 'doctor' visits which could be one reason women live longer than men.
    As the saying goes "Don't die of ignorance"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Is this "invitation" roiled out over the UK when you reach 65?
    tae be or not tae be
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I'm 54 this weekend. I had a scan for this earlier in the year after an external abdominal examination. The GP thought I had an unusually strong pulse in my abdomen and wanted to make sure. It really is straightforward, and I asked the guy doing it if I could watch the screen too. He let me watch and explained all about it and what we were looking at. It turned out I just have a strong pulse in my abdomen which can be felt easily as I am quite slim. (BMI 19).

Good luck!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5161
    edited June 2019
    Friend of mine had one rupture whilst kart racing like a lunatic... he was 57 at the time.. 11 hour operation saved him.... apparently a high percentage of cases are dead before they hit the ground.... His kids have been for early scans  :s
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    hootsmon said:
    Is this "invitation" roiled out over the UK when you reach 65?
    In your 65th year apparently..........I'm 64 currently and hanging on to it jealously... ;)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    edited June 2019
    Im 52 and I had one earlier this year as there is a high incidence of AAA in our family and I too had a very strong pulse in my abdomen. My Grandfather died at 67 when his ruptured. A very high mortality rate unfortunately so if your invited, take it up. Its just an Ultra scan. 
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Yes I had it earlier this year (I'm 65 end of next week). I was all clear which was a great relief as both my Dad and his Dad died from this. Don't miss it.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    A distant friend died of an aortic aneurysm not long ago.

I had a quadruple bypass nine months ago today, and it was luck that it was discovered. The surgeon said that i would have had a heart attack within a year.

I live in my own. It would have been curtains.

If you're offered a screening then take it.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    SRich said:

Anyone else been screened? 
    Yes. Very simple. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • tone1 said:
    Friend of mine had one rupture whilst kart racing like a lunatic... he was 57 at the time.. 11 hour operation saved him.... apparently a high percentage of cases are dead before they hit the ground.... His kids have been for early scans  :s
    Your friend is a very, very lucky boy. Most people do indeed bleed out within minutes. Apparently it's one of the most indescribably painful things that can ever happen to you when it ruptures. Must be an awful way to go.

I'd definitely take a free scan if it was ever offered, no question. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    Yep - lost my dad to one of these - I will definitely get scanned at some point.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    Yes, I had one when I turned 65 - simple process and they tell you the outcome straight away, no waiting weeks for results.

A tip - don't wear your best shirt, there's a lot of clear glop involved...

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    As above, an Ultrasound is easy - you just have to lie there with goo on your tummy whilst it's done. The ultrasonograher did warn me, that, if they found an aneurysm, then it would do some damage to my insurance premiums, but then I'd rather know what the score was. I was fine.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
     My mum died of hers rupturing, 24h after the hospital vascular team said it was fine and in no danger of rupturing. Despite hers going whilst in a major hospital and literally no further than 100ft from an operating theatre, she didn’t make it.  :'(

My sister and I had ours checked out after that, but we’re both fine thankfully.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.