Metallica for Glasto

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    From some of the reaction here you'd think Metallica were an extreme metal band.  They are now a mainstream band.

They're one of the best selling artists ever.

They got alot of time on MTV, and have done for decades.

Harvester or Sorrow, One, Enter Sandman, The Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters, Sad but True, Until it Sleeps, Hero of the Day, Mama Said, The Memory Remains, The Unforgiven II, St Anger, Frantic and The Day That Never Comes all got into the UK Singles Top 20.

Their last six studio albums (Going back to 1988) charted in the UK Top 5, two at Number 1.

Consider also their song on the Mission Impossible II soundtrack, loads of their songs being used in wrestling, and other TV. They've been in an episode of the Simpsons.

I'm not convinced. They are the biggest fish in their pond is all.But, I suppose we find out this summer!
    3:-O
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    They also played the Freddie Mercury Tribute gig at Wembley, and IIRC Live 8 (which the BBC showed a bit off then cut to Jonathan Ross and somethig else). I remember shouting at the telly when they did that (you could still hear them playing in the backgorund).
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    If they still sounded like this live then I'd be selling my body to fund a ticket.

But they don't.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    2010 had Slash on the Sunday afternoon, Coheed and Cambria on the Friday (I was at the front for both). Granted, neither were headlining (and the crowd for C&C wasn't huge), but I can't see why you can't have a mix.

I would suggest the non-metal fan would atleast have heard a few of Slash's songs, and would be able to join in with some of the choruses. Whereas I doubt any would have heard anything by Metallica, with the obvious exceptions (Sandman, Nothing Else Matters). I seriously doubt they'll have heard Master Of Puppets, Blackened etc.

C&C would be more fitting as (from what I've heard*) they're less metal, more rock, and would fit better in the average Glastonbury bill.

*Admittedly not a huge amount.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Compared to Arcade Fire and Kasabian it's actually Metallica I'd be most excited about seeing (of the pryamid stage headliners).

We did Glastonbury once (whatever year it was Billy Bragg and the Manics had their falling out over the toilet?)

We didn't see any of the main stage headliners.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    edited May 2014

Dear Robfans. 

Michael Eavis (who has previously stated that he wouldn't have my kind at his festival) has offered me millions of English quids to swell my already overflowing bank account to play to all the Tarquin’s and Sophie’s at Glasto this year.
    I obviously couldn’t turn down the chance to play to my legions of fans.

O
    nly problem is that the green wellie and Prosecco crowd have already snapped up all the tickets so the loyal Robfans that gave me my break in the eighties, bought my merch and came to all my shows won’t be able to see me.

Yeah….er….sorry about that.
       Now...shall I play my cover of "So What"?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    RobDavies said:

Dear Robfans. 

Michael Eavis (who has previously stated that he wouldn't have my kind at his festival) has offered me millions of English quids to swell my already overflowing bank account to play to all the Tarquin’s and Sophie’s at Glasto this year.
    I obviously couldn’t turn down the chance to play to my legions of fans.

O
    nly problem is that the green wellie and Prosecco crowd have already snapped up all the tickets so the loyal Robfans that gave me my break in the eighties, bought my merch and came to all my shows won’t be able to see me.

Yeah….er….sorry about that.
       Now...shall I play my cover of "So What"?

Glastonbury headliners get paid less than they'd get for doing their own concert.
    Not a big Metallica fan, but I think people are being a bit protective of 'their' music. It's like JayZ playing a few years ago (except not new and exciting).
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    It's interesting because I admire Glastonbury for putting them on but I can't see many people knowing thier music. They have sold a lot of albums but not to this crowd I would suspect. Actually they have sold as many albums as The Wings and I only know three or four of thier songs. They should have got bon jovi if they wanted an 80's throw back band that have sold over 100 million albums.
  • Bucket said:
    If they still sounded like this live then I'd be selling my body to fund a ticket.

But they don't.
    They are *very* good live, to be honest.  I've seen them 3 times now, recently, and they're fantastic.

If you let the solos slide.  Which I'm happy to do :)

Seriously, they're amazingly tight and everything sounds huge.  It's not as raw as that sound, and the solos are not as good, but it's still a great show.  And if it helps get metal and hard rock more into the mainstream, I'm up for it - fuck knows the charts are full of bullshit these days, it'll be nice to have something different hitting radio one.

I remember when Slipknot released Psychosocial and radio one kept playing it because... People were buying it.  And they got loads of complaints for it!

However, that video shows why Kirk is still an inspiration of mine for lead playing - he was shit hot!
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    However, that video shows why Kirk is still an inspiration of mine for lead playing - he was shit hot!
    He's a lot better there than he has been since, certainly.

What surprised me in that video was Lars - he sounds feckin' incredible!
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    Check out the aggression in their performance.After twenty five years,millions of dollars in the bank and relatively clean living lifestyles I guess the aggression has lessened somewhat with the passing of time,something that I believe you need to play this music convincingly.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    DiscoStu said:
    Metallica and Dolly Parton.

That's got to be better than Metallica and Lou Reed.
    Or Metallica and Lang Lang. 
    We could call Metallica and Dolly Parton "Master of Puppies" if they played together.

:D
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Was trying to work out if they are on the BBC televisual coverage but no joy. Hopefully recording Robert Plant and Paulo Nutini.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Now that stupid twat has done himself in on horse tranq, I wonder if there's a spare ticket?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I know huge numbers of non metal fans that have The Black Album. For them it's like the only metal album that exists. 

If you think having one band you don't like at Glastonbury spoils it you're missing the point. If anything is going to kill it, it's The One Show and Radio 2 Breakfast show extensively covering it. I don't think anything else could so effectively signify the transformation to an event for trustafarians and midlife crisis "glampers".
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Hasn't it been that for nearly a decade, if not more? Even in the early noughties it was - in my circle - considered a posh English festival for rich hippies :)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    I think the fact you have to buy a ticket before the lineup is announced really says it all. The people I know who religiously go to Glastonbury don't actually give a flying fuck about the music. It more about "the atmosphere".
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Was trying to work out if they are on the BBC televisual coverage but no joy. Hopefully recording Robert Plant and Paulo Nutini.
    BBC2 tonight