I just don't like changing guitar strings.

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
And this despite @ICBM posting on how to do it correctly.  I printed out that post ICBM, got it laminated and it sits on the shelf behind my guitars.

Not being a gigging guitar player, I am lax at string changing.  I was forced to come to the conclusion that five of my guitars need new strings and I want to fit a set of flats on my Precision.  Oh how I wish there was a shop with a tech to do this work for me.  But I live in rural Ireland, such luxuries only happen in cities.

I suppose there is nothing for it except doing it myself, one by one.  
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Get locking tuners and it couldn't be easier
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Turn it into a labour of love. Set 30 or 40 minutes aside. As well as new  strings, get out the polishing cloths, guitar polish, fretboard conditioner, etc. Put on your favourite album. Then get polishing and restringing. Enjoy.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I'm not keen on the feel and sound of brand new strings they always sound and feel nicer after an hour or so's playing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I’ve got 5 guitars with Floyd Roses... count yourself lucky!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    HAL9000 said:
    Turn it into a labour of love. Set 30 or 40 minutes aside. As well as new  strings, get out the polishing cloths, guitar polish, fretboard conditioner, etc. Put on your favourite album. Then get polishing and restringing. Enjoy.
    This is the secret right here. I love restringing my #1s because it gives me a chance to clean em up a bit, adjust anything if necessary, etc.

I still wouldn't restring a Floyd if my life depended on it, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Another vote for locking tuners. Easy peasy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5853
    edited June 2019
    I hate it too, I'm a lazy Fuck. My Les Paul and SG being the exceptions as they have locking Tuners. Oiling the Boards is an even bigger Pain in the Ass, but hey ho it needs doing now and then.

For re-stringing I use this Gary Brawer technique on all my non locking "hole through post" Guitars, 3+3, 6 in a Line, doesn't matter, it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sAQcAlAeKU

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    On the plus side I bet you're not into extended range instruments :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    King85 said:
    Another vote for locking tuners. Easy peasy
    Seriously do make the world of difference.

I can see why someone would find changing strings on normal tuners a pain but I genuinely can't imagine anyone caring much about changing locking tuners, it's just so simple, you put the string through, pull it tight (possibly tighten a thumb screw) then tune it.
    sweepy said:
    I'm not keen on the feel and sound of brand new strings they always sound and feel nicer after an hour or so's playing
    I'm with you there, I don't like the zinginess.

I hear of people changing strings regularly and before recordings/gigs as well as using short cables to retain as much high end as possible but I prefer some of the high end tamed so prefer the sound of older strings.

I used to change them very often purely because I thought I should but people on this forum convinced me otherwise, now I only change them if they break or if I'm doing some kind of mod that requires them to be taken off on a set neck guitar.
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 170
    HAL9000 said:
    I agree with all of the above, but would add a glass of malt whisky. That way I can do 2 or 3 guitars without minding....
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960

I bought one of these ^

Makes string changes a lot less of a chore.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • All my guitars have been upgraded to locking tuners for this reason.

Makes it quicker and easier as I hate re-stringing and having 10 plus guitars makes it worse still  
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    My friend hasnt changed the strings on his P bass since about 1966.It still sounds like a P bass..
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 683
    sweepy said:
    Can't agree with this enough. I slip on new strings. I like a bit of oldness for grip!

I gig often but don't change if I can help it, though in the super sweaty summer gig months I suffer regular breakages mid song which is annoying. Last summer in particular was a nightmare.

And to address the OP, I bloody hate doing it as well!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    Use Elixirs
    I prefer the sound anyway, and the reduced squeaking

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Nor me. I dread it when the ten year anniversary comes around and I have to change my bass strings 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    Nor me. I dread it when the ten year anniversary comes around and I have to change my bass strings 
    But my bass already has strings?  

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    HAL9000 said:
    This is exactly how I do it.  Love having fresh strings
    rossi said:
    My friend hasnt changed the strings on his P bass since about 1966.It still sounds like a P bass..
    Quite common for flatwounds (though possibly few have as an impressive record as that) some say they get better with age if anything.