Scratchplate screws available in a hardware store?

What's Hot
Soo this week has been fairly hectic,I've been doing half of my idiot bosses work. So my brain is pretty frazzled.

My partsacaster is pretty much ready to assemble.....except I don't have any screws for the scratchplate (numbnuts here forgot to order them).

I want to make a start on the guitar tomorrow, well put it together anyway. Does anybody know if a store like B&Q would sell the right kind of screws? If so what size do I need and so forth? Otherwise I'm tempted to go into somewhere like crack convertors and buy a £15 strat a like.
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    You won't get the right type of screws in any normal hardware/DIY store.

Buying a scrap guitar for the screws and other useful spares is not a bad idea at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27649
    edited May 2014
    IIRC, axesrus do bulk packs of various screws useful for guitar modding, building, etc.

I've never found B&Q much use for anything.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2169
    Thanks guys, I've found a guitar parts store which is a forty minute drive away. Always worth checking a new store . Although I might see if I can sweet talk a guitar store in Bristol tomorrow, failing that a cheap ass copy :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    DrJazzTap said:
    Thanks guys, I've found a guitar parts store which is a forty minute drive away. Always worth checking a new store . Although I might see if I can sweet talk a guitar store in Bristol tomorrow, failing that a cheap ass copy :)
    Ooh, where's that? Sounds handy...

I've got loads of scratch plate screws, but they are all pre-rusted, but if they are any good you are welcome to some. I'm in Portishead, but could meet up somewhere @DrJazzTap

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    JookyChap said:
    I'm in Portishead
    Are you the one with the Jazzmaster?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @jookychap

Hello, the store is

http://www.guitarbitz.com/

Not amazing stuff, fairly small and low key i imagine. I literally just googled "guitar parts bristol" ha ha. Well thank you for the very kind offer, I'm trying to keep the guitar non relic'd. Although my friend Vinnie would love me relic it.

This is his website, he's helped me out a lot.

http://vinniesrelicguitars.co.uk/page11.php?view=thumbnailList&category=2

I was introduced to him through a friend of a friend. And a group of us went up to the british guitar show last year. I previously thought that relic'd guitars were kind of naff. And some of them are, and some of them look terrible. But the detail he puts into his guitars, it's a world away from as he puts it "the blowtorch brigade".  Once you think of relicd guitars like Stonewash jeans it kind of makes sense. Not my thing really, he's just finished an SRV strat which is really nice.

But yes I may take a trip to guitarbitz, if so I shall let you know if its of any worth. Failing that Cash convertors mu ha ha
    Cool - good to know of somewhere else nearby :) I heard the other day that Backwell music has gone under recently which is a shame, they were one of the good guys.

I've not seen any of his guitars, but heard good things about Vinnies. And yes, there is a world of difference between sanding poly and making something look genuinely old. I've never gone that route, but if you treat it as a different colour it can be fun :)

edited May 2015
    I have to admit I haven't heard of backwell, I googled backwell and it came up as absolute music. Store is only open from 10-1 on Saturday though...

Sadly Bristol has PMT, which is okay but box store really. And treble rock, but I've never got on with the owner. Might have a ferret in Electric ladyland, i imagine he might have something to hand.

Well I'm not just saying this because he's a mate, but the photos dont do the guitars justice. He needs higher definition images or something, because as I said to him. When I looked on his website, the guitars look good. But they look much better in the flesh. The feel of the neck on his SRV is identical to a custom shop heavy relic I played before. And I'm not saying that to blow smoke up his ass. I imagine any Fender custom shop is going to be a good guitar.
    But yes he advised me to go with a nitro finish and he's worked his balls off on the finish of the guitar. He even applies a three coat sunburst, then the plain flat and then wears it through to show the sunburst. He did get a bit excited when I said I might go for a Tele next... "ooo I love Tele's"
    Sorry, forgot they are called Absolute (doh)

Electric Ladyland is great, and the guy who runs it is totally eccentric which is always fun. trying to buy something is the tricky thing, he never seems to want to let anything leave the shop. He has some great old stuff in there and will talk for hours about how crap it all is :)

I think that is where relics that are well done is a good thing. if they feel old and worn in, it is worlds away from a shiny new guitar..

edited May 2014
    Yeah he's a character! Some great advice, with a bit of a financial push and marketing he could run the store like rare and vintage. It amazes me what he pulls down from the attic, L5's all sorts. Well he seems to berate anything made by Gibson post 1980 I think. I remember being somewhat offended, in defence I said that my 98 SG was lovely (was my baby at the time!)