Converting sheet music to tab?

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27482
edited August 2013 in Theory

I've just bought some old-style, old-fashioned, on-paper sheet music.

Mainly because I couldn't find the track that I wanted as tab anywhere, and there are a couple of bits that I'm struggling to get right when trying to copy-by-ear.

(Accepted, if I'd found a tab version, odds are that it would be wrong too!).

The only problem I have is that I can't read music.

So, are there any clever ways of scanning the sheet music into something that will convert it miraculously into a tab version??

I don't want to break any copyright rules, and this is purely for my own use.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    If you can scan and Email it to me, I'll have a go, I can read music

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27482
    :)
    When it arrives (that's another problem with old-style, old-fashioned, on-paper music - it has to be "posted"!!), I will indeed.
  • No disrespect to Mike or Tony, but conversion of dots to tab is often a subjective exercise - one persons fingering of choice may not be another's. It may be better to identify the manoeuvres as "scale fragment", "interval", "arpeggio fragment" etc so that the recipient can choose his own fingering. One of the reasons I like dots is that unless otherwise specified (as it is in some classical guitar music) you're left to find your own fingering because the dots tell you what to play not where or how to play it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself

As someone who can't read music, I feel deserving of a little disrespect ...

I'm not so bothered about the "which finger to use" part of the tab, just the "which string/fret to play" aspect.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    You could type the music into a sequencer and have it play it back to you.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I was going to put down alternative fingerings where appropriate as part of the job B-) Cos I'm like that.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:

I'm not so bothered about the "which finger to use" part of the tab, just the "which string/fret to play" aspect.

the "which string/fret to play" aspect influences which fingers you use. and vice versa. Imagine needing to trill a note: you'd need your fretting hand to play the note such that you could trill it by repeated hammering 1 or 2 frets up the same string, so arriving at that note from a position that leaves you with either of fingers 3 or 4 playing it is not a good idea. This in turn influences which position you use to play the sequence of notes leading up to it. Another EG: some blues licks are easy in minor pentatonic shapes 1 or 4, but almost impossible to achieve in the other shapes ... similar class of problem. Hope that's sufficient to explain what I meant.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • mike_l said:
    I was going to put down alternative fingerings where appropriate as part of the job B-) Cos I'm like that.
    Thorough. good man. :)
  • TTony said:

The fact that you're going to these lengths to get it right gives you lots of respect points from me, and I can read music.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I can read music, but if you want to cut out the middle man just post a link to the audio and say where the bits are you want to transcribe, and I'll help if I can
    Thanks all ... who needs software when there are helpful (and musically educated) guitarists about the place.

This is the track.  Most if it is pretty straightforward, but there are various bits scattered throughout it where what I'm trying to play just sounds wrong.  Probably not helped by the 2 guitars on the original of course.

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    edited August 2013
    The link stubbornly refuses to play at the moment, but from the brief glimpse I heard of the first 5 seconds, the intro riff is an open A chord (start on 3rd beat of the bar play a quaver per note but don't play the bracketed notes)

-------------------|-------------------------------|------------------
    ----0---(0)---2--|-----3-----------2----------0-|-----------------
    -2----------------|----------2----------2---------|-2-------2------
    -------------------|--------------------------------|--------------2--
    -------------------|-0-----------0----------0-----|-----0-----------
    -------------------|--------------------------------|------------------

followed by an open G chord

-------------------|-------------------------------|------------------
    ----0---(0)---2--|-----3-----------2----------0-|-----------------
    -2----------------|----------0----------0---------|-0-------2------
    -------------------|-------------0----------0-----|---------------0-
    -------------------|--------------------------------|-----------------
    -------------------|-3-----------------------------|-----3-----------

Thanks Jon.

I though I had the intro bit sussed - but adding that low G in certainly improves it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    edited August 2013
    Learning to read dots is quite easy.
    Learning to sight read is quite hard.
    Try not to conflate the two.

If you have the sheet music then it will be less effort to learn how to read them than it will be to reinvent them into a system you already know.

Seriously, you're a smart guy- I reckon you could work it out in a matter of hours armed with a good book and the boundless knowledge of a) us and b) the rest of the interwebs.

I'm not saying this because I don't understand where you're at- I absolutely do- I learned to sight read quite late for most muso's (although about average for guitarists, it seems) and I know all about that mental barrier.

Trust me- converting dots to music it is WAAAAY easier than you think it is provided you don't have an asshole waving a baton in your face putting you under pressure.
    That still sucks.

... and what the hell did he do to that poor Ricky?
    octatonic said:
    Thats proper-used !!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    octatonic;23014" said:
    I was thinking the same.

As far as converting the dots you have into something you can use - I'm with @octatonic. You don't need to sight read you just need to work out the notes. Combine that with what you can see on the video and that'll give you the fingering position. Pick up the rhythm from the track.

It'll be worth it. It's back to Every Good Boy Deserves Favour & F A C E...and if you've got any rusty areas of the fingerboard where the notes are a bit hazy it'll help too!
    edited August 2013

Thanks again guys.

I know you're right ( @Van_Hayden @octatonic ) and it's something that I *ought* to do.  Along with learning the scales and modes and stuff.

Part of me thinks that "I've survived this long without it, why bother now".  And there's another part of me that thinks "that sounds hard, and it's sunny outside, I'm off out to play".  And (if I'm totally honest) another part of me is probably aware of the chances of success (failure) and would rather not prove my incompetence!

I've got the basic tune/melody lines, but there are some bits that I can't get sounding right.  The intro section is fine now (thanks to the bottom G from @bigjon ).  But (eg) there's obviously more than one note being played in the run down just before the vocals start (and at the end of each verse), and that's one of the bits that's got me stumped atm.

Perhaps fresh ears today will get it sorted.  Either that, or wait for the sheet music to turn up!

TTony said:

Thanks again guys.

I know you're right ( @Van_Hayden @octatonic ) and it's something that I *ought* to do.  Along with learning the scales and modes and stuff.

Part of me thinks that "I've survived this long without it, why bother now".  And there's another part of me that thinks "that sounds hard, and it's sunny outside, I'm off out to play".  And (if I'm totally honest) another part of me is probably aware of the chances of success (failure) and would rather not prove my incompetence!

I've got the basic tune/melody lines, but there are some bits that I can't get sounding right.  The intro section is fine now (thanks to the bottom G from @bigjon ).  But (eg) there's obviously more than one note being played in the run down just before the vocals start (and at the end of each verse), and that's one of the bits that's got me stumped atm.

Perhaps fresh ears today will get it sorted.  Either that, or wait for the sheet music to turn up!

If you have a recording of it then another way is to use 'Transcribe!' to ... er... transcribe it.
    The mistake people make is they try to learn too many notes at once.

Zoom in on one, I repeat, ONE note at once.
    I don't like slowing things down as the formant smearing messing up my ears.
    Play one note at once and move your finger along the fretboard until you hear the note (or dyad, or chord)
    Then write it down (fret number and proposed fingering)
    Then zoom in on the next note and repeat.

It will be slow in the initial stages but that is how it is with everything new.