Floyd rose mounting inserts

Hi there, I have brought a guitar body off of eBay ,and have brought all the parts I need for it including the floyd rose,I have gone to knock in the FR inserts and they just fall in (and out) the pins measure about 9.90mm and the holes seem to be just a little bit bigger. So my question is are the holes in the guitar to big and should the inserts be tight? If so how can I solve this problem? All help appreciated thanks dazz
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72511
    Yes, they're meant to be tight.

Probably the best way of fixing it is to glue in very tight-fitting hardwood dowels, then re-drill - which seems a bit of a waste just to reduce the holes by probably 0.1mm (I'd guess they've been drilled to 10mm), but anything else is probably going to do an inferior job.

You *could* try gluing them in with epoxy (making sure it doesn't come back up inside the threads, if they're open at the bottom! I would stick small pieces of tape over the ends), but if they're really that loose it may not be very strong, since you're then relying on the bulk properties of the resin, rather than it just bonding them to the wood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    Just contacted the seller ,see if they reply.
    Well got a message from the supplier and they said they just by the bodies in and don't know what specs they are. The suggested to plug the holes with dowels or return. What should I do? If I plug them would it cause me problems? Cheers dazz
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72511
    If they can guarantee that the replacement will have the right sized holes I'd return it. Doweling will work but it's a fair amount of hassle and is still not quite as good as a direct press fit into the original wood in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I have been doing a bit of research and have found the gotoh inserts are 11mm would the work with a floyd rose? Cheers dazz