favorite covers

What's Hot
mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10285
    This, (probably to howls of protest from Dio fans)

Great vid too

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Still probably my favourite ever.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited May 2014
    I've been listening to "eMOTIVe" by A Perfect Circle a fair bit recently, most of the songs on it are covers and they're very good. Often bear little relation to the originals but they're really cool arrangements that give a totally different feel to the songs.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I also really like this - featuring the amazing Ollie Halsall on guitar and (I think) vocals.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9684
    edited May 2014
    This Mortal Coil (Cocteau Twins) - Song to the Siren...

Aynsley Lister - All Along The Watchtower
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    This:

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Wishbone Ash - Get Ready
    Pat Benatar - Wuthering Heights
    James Taylor - Up On The Roof (there's a live version of this from a few years back that's pure brilliance)

plus the usual:
    Joe Cocker - Little help From My Friends
    Jimi Hendrix - any of his Dylan covers, especially Watchtower
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    Love the lacuna coil one, the APC version of Imagine is one of the shittest things Maynard has ever been involved with on the other hand. 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited May 2014
    HAL9000 said:
    This Mortal Coil (Cocteau Twins) - Song to the Siren...

I am of such age that this IS the definitive version of that song. It's just so gorgeous.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6501
    Johnny Cash - Hurt has to be up there, surely?

Most recent cover I heard that I liked was Ghost's version of Waiting For The Night by Depeche Mode.

Heard a couple of absolute stinkers recently too - Machine Head doing Message In A Bottle, and Halestorm doing Get Lucky, which is a textbook example of how taking a non Rock song and "Rocking it up" is the last refuge of the terminally untalented.

This is just great, IMO:

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    This is just great, IMO:

Coooollll !    Just added to our set !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    This, (probably to howls of protest from Dio fans)

Great vid too

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NR7dG_m3MsI
    IMO the best KSE have released.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    The most annoying thing about KSE's Dio cover is so many kids think it's originally their song. I do prefer the original (due to myself being a big Dio fan and very much not a fan of KSE) but at least it's fairly faithful to the original.
    RocknRollDave said:

which is a textbook example of how taking a non Rock song and "Rocking it up" is the last refuge of the terminally untalented.
    Being in a band who has done this, would you care to elaborate?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    ICBM;237428" said:
    Still probably my favourite ever.

works better live than the over produced studio version. One of those I want to start a band just to play this song songs.
    I would counter with Take Me Home Country Roads by Toots and The Maytalls if I knew how to do YouTube links from my phone.

Can I make a leap to Please Don't Touch by Headgirl? Not sure Tosh would have approved but it's another good reworking of a rock n roll song.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Bidley said:
    RocknRollDave said:

which is a textbook example of how taking a non Rock song and "Rocking it up" is the last refuge of the terminally untalented.
    Being in a band who has done this, would you care to elaborate?
    I've seen many - and indeed been IN - bands that have "rocked up" songs because they simply weren't capable of replicating the subtleties/ dynamics of the original, and over-compensate by whacking up the gain and heading at it full pelt, hoping some kind of comedy value would make up for what was lost.

Now..I'm not saying ALL rocked up versions are guilty of this, but I definitely think the Halestorm version fits that description, and there's definitely a certain type of pub band that lends itself to this kind of bludgeoning approach and it's just been done to death, IMO.

I see. I agree, it doesn't always work (just listened to that Machine Head cover and it is complete shite) but when it does it's lots of fun.

I'd also argue that more often than not the aim isn't to replicate the "subtleties/dynamics" of the original. It's to play the song in a new light, if that makes sense? My band do a cover of Hungry Like The Wolf, and it always goes down well and is loads of fun live. It lends itself well to riffy Metal as well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited May 2014

:))

On a more serious note this is epic!

Bidley said:

I see. I agree, it doesn't always work (just listened to that Machine Head cover and it is complete shite) but when it does it's lots of fun.

I'd also argue that more often than not the aim isn't to replicate the "subtleties/dynamics" of the original. It's to play the song in a new light, if that makes sense? My band do a cover of Hungry Like The Wolf, and it always goes down well and is loads of fun live. It lends itself well to riffy Metal as well.

Yep, good choice of a song that does lend itself to a heavier approach ;)