FaceBook is always a challenge....
    Hmmmm

Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    How about no solo guitar?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Having a challenge where guitar was banned would be fairly interesting............
    Old Is Gold
  • Thinking out loud............

I may in the future request 3 files are submitted for an entry, (1) an mp3/wav file + (2) an image file for Sound Cloud and (3) a WMV or some kind of other video format for youtube.

At the moment Sound Cloud is more popular however I still think YouTube is an important medium for the challenge (although it is yet to really take off).

As much as I enjoy creating all the vids on Windows Movie Maker it does still take a while to publish (that is before YouTube publishing), and I am just mindful that I am now working a full time job and wouldn't want to be swamped by the mahoosive amount of entries I expect for the next challenge. ;) ;)

Old Is Gold
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Thinking out loud............

I may in the future request 3 files are submitted for an entry, (1) an mp3/wav file + (2) an image file for Sound Cloud and (3) a WMV or some kind of other video format for youtube.

At the moment Sound Cloud is more popular however I still think YouTube is an important medium for the challenge (although it is yet to really take off).

As much as I enjoy creating all the vids on Windows Movie Maker it does still take a while to publish (that is before YouTube publishing), and I am just mindful that I am now working a full time job and wouldn't want to be swamped by the mahoosive amount of entries I expect for the next challenge. ;) ;)

A dumb question but how do you create the YouTube videos? I'd be happy to dropbox you the finished article.

I alsoi have some free time ... any hints about the next challenge? Maybe worth releasing it early as people will no doubt be on holiday.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I'd like to see them to be less prescriptive, so rather than saying what chords or style they should be, maybe try a concept or a phrase, that allows people the freedom to present their own musical identity.

You could take an abstract statement this one from Tom Waits: “There ain't no devil, only God when he's drunk.” and that can be the start point.
    I'd like to see how people take something like that and use it as the basis for a short musical piece.
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    What I do like about having a defined criteria for a challenge is that entrants are forced to come up with something completely new to fit that criteria. With a more generic/open brief we could see old material that has been composed and recorded previously being submitted. I think the point of these challenges is to create something new.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired;299600" said:
    Antique_Guitars said:

Thinking out loud............

A dumb question but how do you create the YouTube videos? I'd be happy to dropbox you the finished article.

I alsoi have some free time ... any hints about the next challenge? Maybe worth releasing it early as people will no doubt be on holiday.
    just in windows movie maker, I add the music and image and make a wmv thatbone all I don't do anything else. I used to put annotations at the beginning but it was taking too long.

Hmm I might give a bit of a hint I'll have a think
    Old Is Gold
  • All good points and suggestions @octatonic and @lev thank you I will take it on board.
    Old Is Gold
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717

I like the idea of doing songs in a different style, a covers challenge, if we are allowed to copyright wise

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited July 2014
    I'd like to see them being mainly guitar based.  Definitely wouldn't be interested in one without guitars and if anything I'd prefer banning other instruments and keeping everything live.  I think doing a cover in a new style would be great fun as would coming up with some new riffs.

As suggested above it'd also be fun to take an abstract statement and use it to develop a piece of music.  We'd have to give some sort of explanation of our interpretation for it to make sense.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    Whatever it is ... just get on with it ... I need a new challenge!!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    daveww said:
    Definitely wouldn't be interested in one without guitars and if anything I'd prefer banning other instruments and keeping everything live.  I think doing a cover in a new style would be great fun as would coming up with some new riffs.

I agree, I think the next challenge should be a 'monster riffs' challenge.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    'King of the Riffs'! I'd be up for it.
    :-bd
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    Riffs.  Win, win, win.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited July 2014
    King of the Riffs! I like it :) As tony said get on with it ;) We should have one a month minimum!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    daveww said:
    I'd like to see them being mainly guitar based.  Definitely wouldn't be interested in one without guitars and if anything I'd prefer banning other instruments and keeping everything live.  I think doing a cover in a new style would be great fun as would coming up with some new riffs.

As suggested above it'd also be fun to take an abstract statement and use it to develop a piece of music.  We'd have to give some sort of explanation of our interpretation for it to make sense.

I like it the way it is .. I have no problem if an electronic musician submits a piece that's all keyboards. I don't think any of the tasks to date have excluded guitars .. the riff idea is a good one as is taking an abstract statement.

The riff idea could be spun off from the FB challenge into a straightforward 'riff of the month' task.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Oh riff of the month. I like it!!!
  • Riff challenge will defo come soon but not next
    Old Is Gold
    Then what be next oh Master of the Challenge ;)