Free IRs (and how to use them in ProTools SE???) No-no

CatthanCatthan Frets: 364
edited May 2014 in Studio & Recording
Hi all,

I found a neat (safe) way to use my amp's head straight into my m-audio
(Amp spkr out --> dummy box & dummy box rec out (or amp slave out) --> m-audio.

The koch dummy box has some filtering/ cab options which are decent but sound very compressed so I need IRs i think.

Looking for free ones to experiment atm, like a 2 or 4x12 v30s  (having some extra micing options would help) and how to load them into ProTools.
I understand I need some sort of plugin-software through which to read the IRs into protools.
Do IRs sound close to the real thing if you feed an amp signal into the DAW or do they also need additional EQing? 
Not talking about mixing an actual multi-track project where everything needs to be adjusted, just a single gtr for the time being.

I hope someone here can point me to the right direction
Buying more hardware is not an option.

Thanks,
A
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    You need an Impulse Response loader, or a convolution reverb (Space Designer can load IRs in Logic for example).

I'm not aware of what plugins come with protools (though listing which version of protools you are using would be useful if any protools users comment).  If you are on Windows this one is free http://lepouplugins.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/lecab2-vst-for-windows.html

Personally I use http://www.recabi.net/ which I got on sale ages ago, it comes with some decent IRs and a nice GUI, but other than that if you are going to be using free IRs anyway there isn't much benefit to buying something like recabinet.

Yes IRs used with real amps can sound good but whether or not it needs EQ is context dependent.  For a single guitar on its own like you're talking about picking the right IR and dialling the amp in will likely get you a sound you're happy with.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 364
    edited May 2014
    Ok, figured it out.
    A vst to rtas converter is required and  then you get your vst plugin to read in to PT NOT..
    PT SE doesn't take anything other than what's already included..
    So it can be done but not with the SE version ( free with m-audio )

Back to cubase...