Tuning Aaarrrrggghhh!!!!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Just play it... and if its out of tune just call it Jazz.

Simples
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Equal Temperament caught me out, many years ago. I knew someone who had an old electronic organ, with 12 oscillators, one for each semitone. I guess the octave above or below the oscillators' frequencies were obtained by manipulating the output analog-wise, perhaps @ICBM would know how that could be done. The electronics were valves, and frequencies drifted with time & temperature. I think you adjusted the frequency of each oscillator by screwing the core of an inductor in or out slightly, I don't think it was a pot. Anyway I agreed to tune it.

Oh this is easy, I thought. I tuned G a perfect 5th from C, D a perfect fifth from G, A a perfect fifth from D, etc ... then when I got to checking the F against the C, the F was well sharp, it was horrible. Then I remembered about the 4Hz thing, and had to do it all again from scratch. Got it right in the end though.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    @Samgb He puts it far better than I could have, worth trying to get your head round it. It makes sense when it 'clicks', trust me :)

I tried really hard. I think at 38 my brain is like a hard drive - im always having to delete stuff if i want to put anything new in there and i just never can be arsed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Samgb said:
    @Samgb He puts it far better than I could have, worth trying to get your head round it. It makes sense when it 'clicks', trust me :)

I tried really hard. I think at 38 my brain is like a hard drive - im always having to delete stuff if i want to put anything new in there and i just never can be arsed!
    Dont worry about it gets worse!
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    Equal Temperament caught me out, many years ago. I knew someone who had an old electronic organ, with 12 oscillators, one for each semitone. I guess the octave above or below the oscillators' frequencies were obtained by manipulating the output analog-wise, perhaps @ICBM would know how that could be done. The electronics were valves, and frequencies drifted with time & temperature. I think you adjusted the frequency of each oscillator by screwing the core of an inductor in or out slightly, I don't think it was a pot. Anyway I agreed to tune it.

Oh this is easy, I thought. I tuned G a perfect 5th from C, D a perfect fifth from G, A a perfect fifth from D, etc ... then when I got to checking the F against the C, the F was well sharp, it was horrible. Then I remembered about the 4Hz thing, and had to do it all again from scratch. Got it right in the end though.

Wow ........ impressive.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    On the rare occasions I work on the damn things, I just use a tuner :).

But yes, they're done with an oscillator for each note and frequency doublers to create the octaves, giving all the notes.

Sadly it also means they can be expensive to overhaul because there's a *lot* of stuff to do - typically every oscillator will need all the caps replaced and resistor values checked, plus all the key contacts etc cleaned... it can easily add up to more than they're worth. Modern resistors do at least drift less with temperature than the old ones though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 464
    Drives me nuts. 

Last night at practice I thought I sounded well out of tune & yet my tuner & band mates thought otherwise :/ 
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited May 2014

Is this the same kind of phenomenon as 'My valves aren't warm enough tonight' or 'The atmospheric pressure or room temperature  is affecting the sound...or my ears'  Because I get those problems a lot.  I think, psychosomatically speaking, it is in the same general ballpark as tuning.  Like you are trying to play along to a car stereo driving towards you and past and back again.

I never use a tuner, as depending on the guitar and the frets, it will be out of tune.  I just do a rough tuning on the open strings, sometimes adjusting what seems to be the D, B and high E as I play. 

B string saga, if I get that, which I rarely do, I just put the guitar down.  There is no point fighting it, as you'll never win because it means your subconscious mind is somewhere else, even if you really feel like playing.  I think if I had to use an oscilloscope or tuner I would kill myself.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    ICBM said:
    On the rare occasions I work on the damn things, I just use a tuner :).

This would have been 1982, 1983? I didn't have a tuner then, all I had was a tuning fork. tbh I probably wasn't so worried about concert pitch as just getting it in tune with itself.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I think this is where the Buzz Feiten thing is supposed to help, it's a compensated tuning thing, you can't tune to each note frequency though. each of the open notes is slightly sharp or flat to make notes sound OK further up the fingerboard,
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Hertz32 said:
    I think this is where the Buzz Feiten thing is supposed to help, it's a compensated tuning thing, you can't tune to each note frequency though. each of the open notes is slightly sharp or flat to make notes sound OK further up the fingerboard,
    BF works in pretty much the same way as Earvana. Earvana actually have the correct description for what they're doing on their site http://www.earvana.com/in-depth-1.html which is to basically tweak the open string lengths so the bend you apply to get the string to the fret in the first few frets gets the right note. BFF talk a lot about problems with TET and claim that's what they're doing, but you can't fix them intrinsically on a stringed instrument (because the same note occurs in different places) and don't need to (because the range isn't as great as a piano). Also worth noting that both methods will only really work correctly for a given tuning, because they depend on the relation of the string extension needed to get to pitch (function of tuning) and the string extension needed to reach the fret (fixed for each fret).
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744

Hertz32 said:
    I've tried them, compensated tuning at the nut will only make playing open strings in tune with each other. It's not the solution.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited May 2014
    A really well-cut nut does not need compensating. The cause of intonation problems in the low positions is the nut being too high, so you're having to bend the strings down to the frets, and they go sharp by different amounts depending on the gauges… but if the nut is the right height - essentially the same as a fret - then it does not need to be different lengths for each string. If it did, the frets would need to be in different places too or the same problem would occur when you play a barre chord, as GuyBoden said.

The *overall* position of the nut does need to be very slightly further forward than the theoretical mathematical position, because of the way a vibrating string is constrained by the nut groove and plays slightly flat, but that's actually quite consistent across the gauges. PRS, Hamer and many other makers were doing this for years before Buzz Feiten, so his "system" should never have been patentable in the first place… the rest is just a 'sweetened' tuning which should also have been not patentable because players have been doing that sort of thing by ear since the instrument was invented.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein