How much is 'too much' for some wood and wire?

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    spark240 said:
    I have about 20 electrics...max paid about £900 ( EBMM axis )

Oddly when I didnt have much money I wanted to spend loads on guitars....now I have some money I always want a bargain?   

Whats all that about..
    So you have £5000-£15000 invested in guitars.

If your collection numbered 5 guitars with a similar collective value you could easily have a £4k guitar in there

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I paid a £1750 the other month on a new LP, it will never get gigged, will be played by me 99% of the time while I'm alone in a room and probably 60% if the time through a pocket pod and headphones. So to some it's a complete waste of money, to me I could afford it and it's what I wanted.

In future I'd like a goldtop LP with the same pickups as the current one just because I think they look nice.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    underdog;239043" said:
    I paid a £1750 the other month on a new LP, it will never get gigged, will be played by me 99% of the time while I'm alone in a room and probably 60% if the time through a pocket pod and headphones. So to some it's a complete waste of money, to me I could afford it and it's what I wanted.

In future I'd like a goldtop LP with the same pickups as the current one just because I think they look nice.

At least it's getting played matey, not hung on a wall or vaulted.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    jd0272;239051" said:
    [quote="underdog;239043"]I paid a £1750 the other month on a new LP, it will never get gigged, will be played by me 99% of the time while I'm alone in a room and probably 60% if the time through a pocket pod and headphones. So to some it's a complete waste of money, to me I could afford it and it's what I wanted.

At least it's getting played matey, not hung on a wall or vaulted.[/quote]

Exactly and when my son gets to sell it in 40 years time it will be a genuine relic that he can list as never been gigged :D

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    spark240 said:

Oddly when I didnt have much money I wanted to spend loads on guitars....now I have some money I always want a bargain?   

Whats all that about..

If your collection numbered 5 guitars with a similar collective value you could easily have a £4k guitar in there
    You know....I had never done that calculation until you mentioned it, I reckon about 10k yes, I have no logic why i have all these,I guess I just like variety?  

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    spark240 said:
    spark240 said:

Whats all that about..

You know....I had never done that calculation until you mentioned it, I reckon about 10k yes, I have no logic why i have all these,I guess I just like variety?  

Doesn't need to be any logic if it's stuff you like. My Mrs, regardless of what she said at the time, has a pair of £500 shoes.

Shoes FFS.

But, she likes shoes and clothes and the like, and it's her money, and she earns plenty, the kids don't go without, and she pays for holidays and such, so hey-ho.

Though I still get it in the fckng neck about buying guitars and shit. Again, nay logic.    ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    I've got a whole bunch of guitars ranging from a Yamaha Pacifica SD120 I paid £70 for (second hand) to a PRS Mira which was comfortably over £1K. Most of them are somwhere in the middle of that range (Mexican Coxon & Caabronita Teles, mid '80s Japanese Strat, PRS SE singlecut, etc, etc, etc). Yes I could have a nice custom shop Gibson or Fender for what I've spent on that lot but I just like having lots of different guitars and as I've accumulated them over a period there was never a breathtaking "I'm paying *how* much for a guitar?!?!" moment so it was an entirely painless process

The PRS is interesting. While I'm in a band it's nominally the number one gigging workhorse (alongside the Coxon Tele or the Cabronita) because it's physically undemanding to play, rock solid reliable and stable, and completely consistent. At home it rarely comes out of its case though because the cheaper, more "characterful" stuff is just more inspiring and interesting to play. Even more oddly I've got an Indy IPR PRS Semi-hollow look-a-like which was £179 on eBay and I sometimes take that out on gigs in preference to the PRS just because I like it and it makes a nice change occasionally. Go figure...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    ICBM said:
    For me, it's a bit over a grand used, maybe up to double that new. I think you generally get an improvement in actual quality up to around that price point - beyond that it tends to be more about cosmetics, historical accuracy if it's a vintage reissue, or whether you think 'hand made' is better than 'mass produced'… although that line is quite blurred in high-end manufacture.

For anything, probably about five grand. I don't think there's any electric guitar - other than perhaps hand-carved archtops - which can really justify more than that. You can get pretty much anything you want to any level of detail for that sort of price.

That said, you can get 95% of the way there for £250 (5% of the price, in other words) if you're lucky.
    +1

Certainly for ~£400 or so, if you get lucky on a deal or whatever.

I don't really play stuff that uses archtops or acoustics- they may well be worth the extra. But for me, for solidbodies, I'd say the absolute upper limit would be around £2k, maybe up to about £3k for something amazing, and for that it'd have to be suitable for the main type(s) of music I play, and be the best (or at least one of the best) guitar I've ever played.
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

Really, I think guitars are tremendously good value (up to about the 5k point). I have friends that will happily spend 2 grand on a FISHING ROD! don't get me going on the ones that shoot, or like motorsports, or have a season ticket to their local football club.

For most guitarists, its a hobby, compared to what bikers, watch collectors, fashionistas, weekend ravers who like to powder-their-noses, blokes-begging-to-be-baristas, gaming-rig-junkies etc etc spend, its not painfully expensive.

I started playing the guitar when I was 16, I spent 30 years being "careful" with what I bought, I always had things like a Tokai or a Squire, always budget conscious. About 2 years ago I saw someone's sig on MLP that read "LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO PLAY CHEAP GUITARS!" and it struck home...

The rather sad and monetary point is, as another guitar playing friend said to me.. "They're investments", take that to mean, if you spend 3k on a guitar, you should get more/all of that back when you're bored with it, or you may have to swallow a pill and loose a bit, but you are never going to be 3k out of pocket with it. 

Life is too short to play cheap guitars......

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Heard before, but........

Chet Atkins was in a Nashville studio warming up for a session with his Gretsch.  A young technician came into the studio and stood watching open-mouthed until Chet finished.  “Gee, Mr Atkins, that guitar sure sounds fabulous!”  Chet placed the guitar on its stand, smiled at the tech and said, “Well, son, how does it sound now?”

Loads of quotes from guitar players here:
    http://gorehound1313.wordpress.com/quotes-of-successful-guitarists/

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    I've bought a distinctly expensive guitar last week (don't ask me how much, because I'm keeping that to myself even though I'm only answerable to myself). It's almost certainly a lifetime one off, as I had some money come my way in the last few weeks. All I will say is it's rather old, looks great, and sounds phenomenal.
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    I paid £3000 for my tom Anderson. But I intend on keeping it for the rest of my days so when you look at it like that its not that much??
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

I'm going to be the school weirdo here.

But I've been playing for about 24 years and gigging regularly for at least 17 of them. And I only own one £500 used guitar! I'm not going to pretend for a second that I don't click through the classifieds lusting over more expensive models. But if I had £2k - £5k I'd honestly rather spend it doing something with my family.

I will probably add another soon just as a back up, and a different option to what I'm using now (Blade RH2). I won't be spending a huge amount on it though. Just choosing wisely to maximise the guitar to money ratio.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27474
    I've bought a distinctly expensive guitar last week (don't ask me how much, because I'm keeping that to myself even though I'm only answerable to myself). It's almost certainly a lifetime one off, as I had some money come my way in the last few weeks. All I will say is it's rather old, looks great, and sounds phenomenal.
    Pics @archtopdave we need pics.  Once you've removed the price tag of course!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited May 2014
    ElectroDan;239254" said:
    I'm going to be the school weirdo here.But I've been playing for about 24 years and gigging regularly for at least 17 of them. And I only own one £500 used guitar! I'm not going to pretend for a second that I don't click through the classifieds lusting over more expensive models. But if I had £2k - £5k I'd honestly rather spend it doing something with my family.I will probably add another soon just as a back up, and a different option to what I'm using now (Blade RH2). I won't be spending a huge amount on it though. Just choosing wisely to maximise the guitar to money ratio.
    How the he'll did you get on this site? If our wives/girlfriends read your post we've had it you realise that don't you. :D
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4915
    The most expensive guitar I have ever bought was my 60th birthday pressie to myself.  I've wanted a Gibson ES-330 since Adam was a lad, and I was able to afford it, so I bought one.  I play it most days (unplugged, usually) and it makes me happy  :D
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    I think I could only make peace with myself up to about 2.5k. I'd love an early 60s jag. Would prefer a lived in one. They're achievable for 2-2.5. After that, I'd want for nowt.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited May 2014
    underdog said:
    ElectroDan;239254" said:
    I'm going to be the school weirdo here.But I've been playing for about 24 years and gigging regularly for at least 17 of them. And I only own one £500 used guitar! I'm not going to pretend for a second that I don't click through the classifieds lusting over more expensive models. But if I had £2k - £5k I'd honestly rather spend it doing something with my family.I will probably add another soon just as a back up, and a different option to what I'm using now (Blade RH2). I won't be spending a huge amount on it though. Just choosing wisely to maximise the guitar to money ratio.
    How the he'll dud you get on thus site? If our wives/girlfriends read your post we've had it you realise that don't you. :D

Brilliant !

:)

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    As long as you can afford it spend what you like. 

Guitars are tools for me, I'm not especially romantic about them. I have a SH PRS now and that functionally does everything I want so I can't see myself spending much more than that. 

If I was absolutely loaded then I'm sure I'd buy £20k 60's Fenders, but then I'd probably drink £500 bottles of wine and wear a £10k watch. 

I spoke to a guy about how expensive guitars are and he collects classic cars. He has 3 with a total value of about £80k so it, puts a guitar collection into perspective. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    The most important thing is having a guitar (or two) that make you say "fuck yeah" and want to immerse yourself in playing.

This can be anything from a Squier strat to a custom shop/private stock type guitar, as long as it makes you love playing guitar.

I often give advice to players about their guitars and their biggest shock is me telling them to get over what the name on the headstock says and to listen to the sound the  guitar makes. to listen to how tghe many bits of wood and metal go together with strings on and how it all rings and resonates, and whether it plays easily and is free from buzzes and other issues (naturally these last few things are items I can assist with ).

But it is trusting that if it sounds good and feels good, then IT IS GOOD, and not get to hung up on what the name on the headstock says.

Often the discussion is whether servicing, repairs or upgrades are worth it on a guitar that maybe didn't cost a huge amount in the first place andthe clue is to whether there is huge potential locked up in the guitarthat such work will release and identifying if the player is keen to have fun with the guitar or is more concerned about a financial return than enjoying playing the damn thing.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom