What's Hot

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12318
    Fender Superchamp XD, sounds luvverley
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited May 2014
    Although I have the luxury of a dedicated studio room, I also live in an old basement flat with a fair bit of sound travel between the ceiling / floor with the house above occupied by my landlords - they're my friends, and musicians too, but I still don't want to piss them off too much as I try to play every day.

These days, most of my playing is done DI'd into a mixing desk into a Musical Fidelity amp and Wharfedale speakers as monitors at a distance of about 18". I've never been drawn to the modelling route. My pedalboard runs in stereo into a Blackstar HT5 (direct out) on the left channel and an Award-Session JD10 preamp and MicroFX compressor on the right channel (speaker emulated outputs on both channels).

About once a month, I have a couple of mates over to play some ambient music - still at very quiet volume levels. For this I use the HT-5 through an old 1x12" (with a seventies Celestion of unknown model) and a Laney VC15 on the other channel. Using stereo enables me to get a full, engaging sound at really quite low volume levels (certainly quieter than a strummed acoustic).
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Sorry!

Play in here most of the time.

Nearest neighbors are about a half kilometer either side, open valleys and farmland back and front.  Looking forward to getting the '68 Custom Twin to fill the room a bit.  Or at the other end of the spectrum just into Amplitube on my iPad!
    0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I use Peavey Revalver or my Marshall SL5. I have my eyes on a Suhr Hedgehog if they ever get released and I have any cash, (obviously need to try one out first), and I'd love a Mesa Lonestar Classic.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I never play plugged in at home.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    Laney Ironheart IRT60H through a 2x12. Yes it's a bloody huge tube amp, but the master volume is very good. Sounds great at any volume.

Recently picked up a Blackstar ID Core 20 practice amp, ironically so far I've been turning that up louder than I have the Ironheart.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Yamaha THR10 at home. That's plugged in and ready to go in the living room. I don't have the space to leave my gigging amp out and set-up since having kids and loosing the 'spare' room.
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    Friedman BE100 and 4x12 cab.  Never had a small amp just to use at home, The friedman and the evh 5150III 100 watt both have great volume tapers.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I use a little crate gx15r. Great little solid state combo. My main rig sits at the studio 65 miles away, but the little crate is enough to write and practice on.
  • I currently use a Peavey Bandit and a few pedals, but I'm actually a bit sick of multiple pedals - I might get a Blackstar IDCore as it would be nice to plug my phone in and play along to songs, or just use it as a stereo in my room, then leave the bandit under the stairs for when I play out.  

Sadly, never at the minute, but I'm going to start branching out :)
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I've got a few amps and a load of rack gear (I have a weakness for preamps) so things get swapped around a bit. I have my own studio on the other side of the garage to the house so I can turn up a bit but also have neighbours so can't do silly volume. Most of the time it's my Kemper into a Matrix GT1000FX into two Wharfedale 2x12 cabs.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24275
    Suhr Badger 30
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Another Mesa Express 5:25 user here, though I don't know if it's been switched on more than 3 times this year. Living in flats sucks.

I'm using Jamup Pro XT on my iPhone which is really good, but I play unplugged more often than not.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    DT25 - a versatile little amp with a Bogner designed power section, and low power mode too.  Surprisingly good IMO.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    guitargeek62 said:

Mesa Express 5:25 combo (1x12) on the 5-watt mode. It's okay at tv volumes, but absolutely fantastic just beyond them.

I'm about to move to a new flat though so I'm hoping the walls are thick enough to not piss off the neighbours, otherwise I'll have to start the dreaded attenuator quest. :(

You could try a simple parallel dummy load - at 5W it won't need to be big or expensive.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Richardj said:
    Sorry!

Play in here most of the time.

Nearest neighbors are about a half kilometer either side, open valleys and farmland back and front.  Looking forward to getting the '68 Custom Twin to fill the room a bit.  Or at the other end of the spectrum just into Amplitube on my iPad!
    ...where's your amps? where's your guitars on stands? Does your wife not allow them in the grownups room??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Either a Vox AC4 C1 or a Blackstar HT20.

They are both so different and both sound great when they are on number 8

Fuck the neighbours, they are like a herd of elephants anyway so they can't complain and I wouldn't hear them if they did.

If I could afford a JCM800 through two 4x12 cabs I would use that quite happily. I had exactly that when I was 15 living at home in my parents house and no one cared then either. My Dad used to tell me to turn it up, he was about as cool as you could ever wish for.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Cornford Hurricane.

• midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    if im in the kitchen its a little Kustom 10w practise amp, if im in the lounge usually laney vc 30  or direct through my pa (via a behringer v-amp),  if im upstairs a laney cub12r or orange microterror through a 12" cab,   cant be bothered moving stuff unnecessary so try to keep my amps spread round the house.  if im at our practise hut i have a peavy bandit there.