LPJ Mods

What's Hot
downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
edited May 2014 in Guitar
Some time ago I threatened to mod an LPJ that had come into my possession and asked for suggestions - well, Shugz deciding to call it a day kind of forced my hand into getting the looms and that led to getting the whole thing done.

All electronics removed.

New pickups - PAF style from Melvyn Hiscock.

All new wiring - Shugz, thanks Hugh!

Switch ring and Truss rod cover - Hell Guitars Japan (via ebay)

Knobs and PU surrounds - ebay

Everything else as was...

So what else?

Maybe tuners. Scratchplate, but what?

Need to play it a bit I think....
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That looks really, really cracking :D I've played a few of these with a friend who wanted one, and out of a few of them only one was bad.  The others were really great guitars, I love the neck profile!

Yours has a nicer looking top than some others, too.  Great work :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited May 2014

Love the Truss rod cover and switch surround.

That's made it look really cool.

I personally don't like black tuners so I would make them chrome / nickel and with such a retro look, really well done man. Very cool.

Play it !

Enjoy

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Very cool, truss cover looks great, I think it looks good and wouldn't spoil it with the pick guard (though I do hate them on carved tops so I may be bias)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I would suggest a job at Gibson. You clearly know how to make a cheap guitar look great, and not just cheap.

I'd have gone with black pickup surrounds and knobs (same style though), but that's just me.

I also wouldn't spoil it by tacking a plastic paper dart to the front either ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    Thank you gentlemen.

Another obvious one is a chrome switch tip - can't imagine how I missed that one! And I think you are right about chrome tuners.

It is a really nice guitar or I wouldn't have been tempted to get started!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I like the black tuners, I think they're classier-looking than chrome and they go with the TRC and the rest of the black/metal vibe - but it does definitely need a black or chrome switch tip.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    ICBM;242418" said:
    I like the black tuners, I think they're classier-looking than chrome and they go with the TRC and the rest of the black/metal vibe - but it does definitely need a black or chrome switch tip.
    ICBM;242418" said:
    Agree, the black tuners look nice and give a nod to the model it is, infact the red lpj black bridge etc mmm

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    Nice work :D Looks very nice indeed.
    ICBM said:
    I would suggest a job at Gibson. You clearly know how to make a cheap guitar look great, and not just cheap.
    LOL
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    That is a beauty, fair play. Definitely doesn't need a scratchplate. No LP ever does IMO...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Why can't gibson make guitars like this??! Nice subtle mods
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    One vote for a black switch tip instead of chrome. Good work, looks great!
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618

So what else?

Bigsby :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    Yeah, the Bigsby was vaguely in the frame! Need to find one cheap though!
    Going back through old posts..., I have no idea why I sold this - might have to do it again!