New PEG Day

TTonyTTony Frets: 27628
With thanks @Pete24v for meeting me in a service station car park this morning, I'm now the happy care provider for this little beauty ...

It's set-up just about perfectly, and made it home perfectly in tune too.  Neck is wide-ish, thin-ish, and quite comfortable.  Body is a happy weight too - somewhere around high 7lbs / low 8lbs, I'd guess.  Good balance.  Pickups are apparently a pair of Bulldog fat PAFs, which sounded fat and smooth when I plugged it in briefly.  

I think I might be putting straplock buttons on this one.

(Straplock buttons means that it's staying).
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Congrats - tis a rare and pretty thing :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Ah now that is lovely. Some fantastic Eggles out there.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    very PRS 
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    Very Eggle ;-)
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 464
    Very nice...

Do you need to sell your Nighthawk yet to "make room"? ;)
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Excellent!
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3136
    Nice one does the headstock have a volute?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27628
    Very nice...

Do you need to sell your Nighthawk yet to "make room"? ;)
    No @guitarcookie1 - a few years back, I would have done, but then I went through a "Nighthawk phase", played it a lot, and realised how good it actually is.  Keep on with the hunt, one'll turn up.

Nice one does the headstock have a volute?
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Well the eggle's nice enough but that nighthawk is well.......what can I say - f-ing lovely. Would love to see more pics just for the hell of it
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    Very nice indeed :D Eggles (the ones I've tried, anyway) are great :)
    monofin said: Well the eggle's nice enough but that nighthawk is well.......what can I say - f-ing lovely. Would love to see more pics just for the hell of it
    LOLs ... you're
    not having it!!!

I've had it from new - back in the mid-90's sometime.  Never really played it, or appreciated it, much until I got the "sticky neck" problem sorted out a couple of years ago.  Now I love it!  I'll find some more pics in a day or two.
    Dave_Mc said:
    Very nice indeed :D Eggles (the ones I've tried, anyway) are great :)
    I've wanted to try one for a while.  Part of it is probably the Bailey connection, and another part of it is the small-UK builder thing.  

So, having sold a few recently, I was in a fortunate position of being able to grab this one when it appeared.  It has a bit of a story to it, and has apparently been hung on a wall as a piece of art for most of its life.  So, it looks and feels like new, and sounds pretty damn good too.  Feels good, the weight is comfortable, neck is different - but not in a bad way.  It's not bling, but has the feel of good solid quality materials and workmanship.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17647
    tFB Trader
    How does it compare to your Singlecut?
    How does it compare to your Singlecut?
    Hmmmmm.

They're actually sat side-by-side on the sofa at the moment!

If I could only have one, it'd be the SC because it has more power and tonal variety, I prefer the feel of the neck and the top is way nicer.  Plus, it's been dinged, and I'm not worried about dinging it again, so I'd be happier taking it out and about gigging (like that's ever doing to happen).  And, when push comes to shove, I prefer the aesthetics of 22 fret over 24 (and I rarely go beyond the first octave anyway).

That said, the PEG is lighter and more comfortable to play sat down.  It balances nicely on the thigh.  The tonal variety comparison is a bit unfair because the PEG has a pair of untapped Bulldog PAFs - which I think are good at what they do, but that's all they do.  It has a feel of quality, but I'd be surprised if the top was any more than a veneer.  I'll take a look when I have the time.  It has some strange "features" too - the cavity covers sit proud of the back of the body rather than being recessed into the body.  A small thing, and maybe non-standard because of its history.

Luckily, I don't have to choose.  The one-trick PEG pony replaces the swiss army JTV-59 (how ironic is that) in my row of gig bags and case.
    tFB Trader
    I've heard a few people claim that Wilkinsons rob tone so it might be worth seeing what it's like with a bladerunner. 
    edited May 2014
    One day maybe ...

You'll have to take it for a test drive sometime and see what you think.
    tFB Trader
    Yes good plan. 

I'll bring the DGT over and we can have a bit of a shred fest. 

I've still got a massive box of FB stuff the Mrs is getting shirty about me keeping in the spare room so that might be a good excuse. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Nice ... but the pickup switch is in a place where I'd fumble for it. Hope you enjoy ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    Grub screw tensionable arm. It just works so much better than a screw in. I wouldn't have it any other way. Nice Guitar, enjoy familiarising yourself with it.
    I'll bring the DGT over and we can have a bit of a shred fest. 

I've still got a massive box of FB stuff the Mrs is getting shirty about me keeping in the spare room so that might be a good excuse. 
    That sounds good to me.  Probably have to be a weekend, unless we co-ordinate our "working from home" Fridays!
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    That looks very nice - I likes me an Eggle (had 8 of them at one time but down to 5 now ;-) )

There are a few non-standard features on that one for a 90's Berlin. You've already mentioned the back plates not being recessed (they're usually recessed on all Berlins but on Los Angeles models the trem covers are not recessed). There's usually a belly carve on a Berlin and any made after mid 1992 had a volute. It would also be highly unusual for the top to be a veneer. All this suggests it might have been an employee guitar or a special order. Might be worth a post on the Eggle forum if you want more info as there are some very knowledgeable people on there.

Anyway, it looks great so enjoy!!