Picks Similar to Jazz 3 XLs

JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
So, I love the point on a Jazz 3 XL but its too thick. Ive been using a Dunlop Sharp .73 (the yellow one) and I love it but I think its pretty top end-y in terms of tone. Ive tried the Paul Gilbert pick but the point on that isnt sharp enough so Im kinda stumped. Any thoughs anyone?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Get the Gilbert one and drag each side along the carpet a few times - that'll sharpen the point nicely.
  • xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 180
    Try the Dunlop Petrucci pick.
    I'll never use anything else.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Is the Petrucci pick the same size as an XL3?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    edited May 2014
    http://planetwaves.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=51

They are the same overall size as a Jazz III XL. The 1.10mm one has similar stiffness to the J3XL but (obviously) less thick. May or may not be sharp enough for you. I love them and bought a bag of 100! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited May 2014
    TimmyO said:

They are the same overall size as a Jazz III XL. The 1.10mm one has similar stiffness to the J3XL but (obviously) less thick. May or may not be sharp enough for you. I love them and bought a bag of 100! 
    These are really nice, though not sharp enough to me.  I used them for a while prior to jazz 3.

I really like the Paul Gilbert picks - they have a really bright, sharp attack that is even brighter than a jazz 3, but larger and fairly sharp. 
    Yes the Petrucci is the same
    size but everything is improved.
    Material, shape, tip.
    They are the perfect pick in my opinion.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072

Do they do a Petrucci XL version?

I'm using Ultex 2.0s, Carbon Fibre Max Grips and Eric Johnson Jazz IIIs - but they're the little ones.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    TimmyO said:

I use these- they are really brilliant.
    The Petrucci is the XL size.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    The Petrucci is different in size and shape to the Jazz III XL. It's smaller and pointier.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/stratdeluxer97/John Pictures/Jazz Picks/Photo0936_zpsbb464b39.jpg

Not my picture, but the best I could find.

I used Jazz IIIs for years and have ended up with Ultex Sharp 2.0s because I wanted something bigger. Maybe you'd get on with a thinner version of those, they come in a number of thicknesses.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    by too thick, do you mean there isn't enough give? If so, the Petrucci picks will not fulfill your requirements. They do not give at all.
    ^^ this is correct.
    They are very stiff but give a smooth tone due to the shape.
    I don't like any flex in a pick as it takes away control.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    They do a Tortex J3XL in a 1.5mm gauge. I've got some little Tortex 1.5s and they have more give. I'm with @wolf5150 I don't like any flex at all.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Do I get the impression you want a mellow sounding pick that's entirely rigid? Try a brass one. I have some called TeckPick, which I like but they're a bit bigger (surface area) than a Dunlop jazz-III. I also have some called IcePick, which are the same idea but slightly smaller - you might like them.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    "This is our replacement for any small jazz type, tear drop shaped pick. It fits comfortably, yet firmly in your fingers. You will not drop this pick due to the gripping action of our own special blend of acrylic.
    The Stiletto is 1.5mm thick and has an unbuffed edge."

i use the larger size, the switchblade. very sharp point, no give, minimal click and lasts for ages. ages.

The tone isnt a problem, its more to do with the shape and the point. A few more suggestions to try out which is great!

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Jetfire said:

The tone isnt a problem, its more to do with the shape and the point. A few more suggestions to try out which is great!

You could take a file or wet&dry to a brass pick to get the point you want ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4986
    Dunlop Stubby's.

More of a teardrop than the Jazz III XL's, but a great point on them that doesn't wear too quickly. There's also the Big Stubby's if the little ones are too small. 1, 2 and 3mm thicknesses.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...

Ideally a thinner pick is the key. Like, less than 1mm would be a happy medium. As for filing things, thats a massive pain in the butt..