which od?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Earthquake devices mega ultimate maximum overdrive classic?

http://earthquakerdevices.com/shop/palisades/#tab-description

Sorry, I really want to play with one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thewiddlerthewiddler Frets: 31
    Well worth asking @handsomerik for a modded Soul Food - does everything you're after from clean boost to grit and sparkle to transparent OD. Amazing value too.
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    I hadn't thought of going down that road to be honest,anyone know how transparent the fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet is?I'v had good results with the ocd and I still use a fatboost 1 as a lead boost so I'm quite keen on fulltone stuff.I don't know all these overdrive pedals are mind boggling! Starting to get panicky out of my comfort zone,I can see me running back to naturally overdriven amp and my volume knob lol
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    llew said:
    I hadn't thought of going down that road to be honest,anyone know how transparent the fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet is?I'v had good results with the ocd and I still use a fatboost 1 as a lead boost so I'm quite keen on fulltone stuff.I don't know all these overdrive pedals are mind boggling! Starting to get panicky out of my comfort zone,I can see me running back to naturally overdriven amp and my volume knob lol
    That's all you need man :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17607
    tFB Trader
    llew said:
    FDII is essentially a TS/Boss SD1 type pedal. The flat mids mode makes it a bit less mid humped and the MOSFET mode gives it a bit more bass and grunt. It's a nice pedal, but very much a TS varient. 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    I've had and sold both those Wamplers. My mate has two Dr Zs which uses live. He wouldn't consider any pedal through the Z but his Kingsley Jester. Sorry to sound like a broken record on these Kingsleys. But if you want a pedal that seamlessly overdrives your amp's clean side (which is how I use my Kingsleys through the Two Rock), get one with tubes in it and buy a Kingsley. They cannot be beat. The Page is less gainy than the Jester and equally brilliant

llew said:
    On a par with the timmy/wampler?
    I've never really got on with Wampler stuff. 

A lot of them sound a bit filtered like a Sansamp. 

Good at bedroom levels, but a bit odd at gig volume.
    Interesting you say that about the Tech 21 stuff. They do sound fantastic at home volumes, the Liverpool especially, but I did wonder if that would ever translate live. I've not used them outside the house.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    JohnPerry said:

Interesting you say that about the Tech 21 stuff. They do sound fantastic at home volumes, the Liverpool especially, but I did wonder if that would ever translate live. I've not used them outside the house.
    My Tech21 Double Drive is a key drive pedal on my gigging board and I've got a few drives to choose from. I run my amp clean (as in pristine) and get all my OD sounds from pedals. Comes through loud and clear with excellent bottom end unlike a lot of OD's and offers Class A and Class A/B style crunch. Responds well dynamically too.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17607
    tFB Trader
    JohnPerry said:
    llew said:

I'm not necessarily saying Sansamp stuff sounds bad at gig levels. 
    I've gigged a TM60 amp and used a VT bass preamp live before and both were excellent. 

It was more two separate things. Tech21 stuff (and a few other amp in a can pedals) seem to have a high roll of that is implemented independent of the tone control. It seems to make them play nice into very bright clean amps, but it robs them of a bit of sparkle which bothers some people more than others. 

The wampler stuff I've tried (specifically the more amp in a can pedals) seemed to start to sound almost like a modeller when I was using it in a band and stamped a very strong footprint on the sound which made the change quite abrupt when you kicked it on. Plenty of pros use them so it might just be me not dialing it in.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
      Tech21 stuff (and a few other amp in a can pedals) seem to have a high roll of that is implemented independent of the tone control. It seems to make them play nice into very bright clean amps, but it robs them of a bit of sparkle which bothers some people more than others. 

Further to my post above about gigging a Tech21 Double Drive, I ought to add it was through either a Tech21 TM60 or a Roland Cube 60, set up vey clean and bright so it is possible that they may not work as well in darker amps.

Having said that, the Double Drive doesn't feature any form of speaker emulation like their GT2 or "Character" series pedals do, so it may not exhibit the same high roll off that their other pedals do. 

JohnPerry said:
    llew said:

I'm not necessarily saying Sansamp stuff sounds bad at gig levels. 
    I've gigged a TM60 amp and used a VT bass preamp live before and both were excellent. 

It was more two separate things. Tech21 stuff (and a few other amp in a can pedals) seem to have a high roll of that is implemented independent of the tone control. It seems to make them play nice into very bright clean amps, but it robs them of a bit of sparkle which bothers some people more than others. 

The wampler stuff I've tried (specifically the more amp in a can pedals) seemed to start to sound almost like a modeller when I was using it in a band and stamped a very strong footprint on the sound which made the change quite abrupt when you kicked it on. Plenty of pros use them so it might just be me not dialing it in.
    Interesting. Actually I bought his Ace Thirty Vox-in-a-box because I wanted to change my 6V6 Fender-style amps into something Voxy at the press of a button and I have to say it is fantastic at that. It's the first and only Wampler I've bonded with and I've had a few now.

Anyway, my point is @llew, buy a Kingsley and stop mucking about.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    edited May 2014
    I'm surprised you say that but everyone to their own :) You have to be happy with your tone/amp before you use the cruiser mind you
    thomasw88;244955" said:
    Trex moller or gristle king.
    or barber half gainer.

I personally hate the lazy j cruiser, think its the most over rated pedal ever...
    I'm generally very happy with my tone... I would have said that I've owned around 30-40 drive pedals In the last few years, and the lazy j was one that just didn't work fir me. 

Now I've got to say I didn't spend a huge amount of time with it ie maybe one rehearsal and a couple of hours at home before getting rid, but I really didn't see any reason why it's valued at such high prices IMO , trex or barber are som very good pedals that you can get at great prices second hand, and they stand up to any of the mojo filled mortgage costing pedals such as the lazy j..
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 146
    JohnPerry said:
    I've had and sold both those Wamplers. My mate has two Dr Zs which uses live. He wouldn't consider any pedal through the Z but his Kingsley Jester. Sorry to sound like a broken record on these Kingsleys. But if you want a pedal that seamlessly overdrives your amp's clean side (which is how I use my Kingsleys through the Two Rock), get one with tubes in it and buy a Kingsley. They cannot be beat. The Page is less gainy than the Jester and equally brilliant
    completely forgot about this option, having heard/played a Jester through a two rock (@thisisguitar - feel free to chip in mate) I can guarantee you wont be disappointed 
    My Timmy is still available though ;-)
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    Get a valve-based pedal.

I can recommend the Tube Factor (though mine is modded for a volume control on channel 2).  The Owen Space Charge is also quite good, although it goes from distortion to all out blitz in a small twist of the drive knob.

For solid state, I just bought the Mojo Hand Rook, and it's now permanently connected.  I think it's amazing.
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    Thanks for all the good advice I'v just bought a timmy off gjonesy on this very forum. :)