What acoustics should I be looking at?

What's Hot
SnagsSnags Frets: 5420
I currently own a Furch G23CRC fitted with Fishman Matrix Blend, which is my main and most lovely acoustic. It's great, and I love it, and it's really easy to play, with a very rich and civilized sound to my ears (even with my playing).

I've also got an old much-abused Takamine EG332C which was my first acoustic, and as far as I'm aware is all laminate. Some recent fettling has restored it back to playable order, although really it ought to have a refret, which is probably not an economic option. It spends most of its life as a backup or a loaner, and whilst it's not a bad guitar, it lacks a certain presence, both acoustically and plugged in.

Plugged in, the Furch is great for the more sensitive/melodic/whiny-singer-songwriter-open-mic stuff, but it doesn't really cut it for the rocking out "AC/DC on an acoustic" boogie-woogie moments. It's two warm and polite, and not bright or zingy enough.

So ... I'm sort of winding myself up to getting something else "nice" - between the Tak and the Furch in terms of budget, and probably brighter woods (mahogany/spruce instead of cedar/rosewood) but I don't really have a clue what to look at.

Things I know I want:
  • dread, jumbo or superjumbo body
  • good plugged in sound for 'bashing stuff out' and strong rhythm
  • a cutaway, because i'm used to them
  • less than a grand, ideally considerably less
  • don't care if it's pre-loved; in fact, in some ways would prefer it
I'm instinctively drawn to some of the Yamaha range, and I have a minor irrational prejudice against Taylor. I'm totally neutral about Eastman, PRS, Dowina, whoever else, really, although would probably not go down the Martin route unless spending more money than I'll ever spend on an acoustic.

Suggestions of makes/models to add to the "try it out" list welcome ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I always suggest Faith to anyone looking for a new acoustic. 
     A Jupiter would seem to meet your brief. 

Jumbo
    Sounds good plugged in
    cutaway
    under £1000 (£599) 

https://www.faithguitars.com/guitars/electro-acoustics/product/134-fjcehg-jupiter-jumbo-cutaway-electro
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I really like Eastmans but they don't typically come with pickups (and I don't know about their cutaway models because I don't like cutaways). Yamaha A series might be a good bet if you want a guitar with a cutaway and a decent plugged in sound.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5420
    Totally forgot Faith, not massively prejudiced against them so will add them to the list.

Not having a built-in pickup isn't a deal-breaker (the Furch didn't) although I think I'd go for a K&K Pure Mini in future if one needed retrofitting, if only to avoid the aggro of getting at the battery pack.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    There’s a used Cole Clarke on Reverb. That’s going to put you outside the box in a good way. Big fan of them. 
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 200
    edited October 2019
    I just got a new guitar this week for open mics etc.I was fed getting with  my Martin getting abused so got a Sigma DR 28.Its sounds and plays great for not a lot of money.Its surprisly Close to a Martin.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I'm pretty sure your Takamine has a solid spruce top, they normally have.

Look at the edge of the soundhole and see if the grain pattern continues, if it does it's solid.

• Sounds like you need a Martin style dreadnought that can be pushed hard a bit like a good D28. Have a look at the copies such as Sigma, Eastman & Blueridge. Furch used to do some Martin style dreads as well. Regards Yamaha, I've had a LL16 and a LL6 and they are great guitars, however they don't like to be pushed hard.

If I was you I'd get a used Martin D16 and put a K&K pure mini pick up in it.
  • "What acoustics should I be looking at?"

All of them. They're bloody gorgeous things. :)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Second hand Larrivee should be within budget; great guitars by any standard
  • Was going to suggest used Lakewood and had a quick eboogle and think this is problem solved 
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lakewood-M14CP-acoustic-Guitar-Cedar-top-in-lovely-condition/293273529195?hash=item444876eb6b:g:bbUAAOSwxUJdl1ZG
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Seagull?
  • Seagull?
    Play nicely, sound good but aren’t built to last- they seem to mark up or “relic” (if you will) really easily. Fine for in the home, but I’d be nervous about playing one “out”. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11484

You should be able to get a second hand Furch for under £1k.  They make some very good Martin style dreadnoughts. 

It's probably the cedar top on yours that gives it the sound it has.  I wouldn't rule out a spruce/rosewood guitar.

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5420
    Two Furch's starts to look a bit weird :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11484
    edited October 2019
    Snags said:
    Two Furch's starts to look a bit weird
    I met a guy once who had 17 Gibson Les Pauls!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom