Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

lifestyle creep

What's Hot
You know.... before you know it, you're buying coffee every morning instead of making it. You're taking Ubers instead of busses. You're buying amps every other month (lol)

How do you reverse lifestyle creep?

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7596
    Must it be reversed?
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Are you telling me to buy more amps? :lol: 

Nah, I think I need to calm down a bit. Money is tight as a nuns chuff right now, but I've still got a list as long as my arm of things I want. Turning into a right little consumer droid and it makes me kinda hate myself.

Bye!

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12452
    I bought a really good nespresso coffee mug so I can take a good coffee with me as well as a chilli bottle for cold drinks. I spend a reasonable amount of time in the car. 

Taking lunch with me rather than buying. 

Put some cash into PayPal account and making it your gear fund. Once spent I have to sell to buy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    Budget
    Write down income(s)
    Write down Expenditure
    Write down needs
    Write down wants
    Review at least weekly.

That way you can focus on something like longer term goals and see the importance of short term frugality.

If you write down £4.25 for coffee each day and £5.50 for a butty and and £1.60 for a bus you can see it costs £56.75 every week in sundry work costs.
    Doing your own bits at home can save you over £40 per week allowing for a slight increase in the family grocery bill. £40 x the 45 weeks you go to work is £1,800 a year.  Thats the same as having a salary increase before tax of £2,500!
    What could you do with £1,800 in your bank account/off your credit card?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11384
    Stop using credit cards or bank cards.

Pay for everything in cash. Not only is it getting more difficult to find banks on the high street but the buggeration of carrying a load of change is annoying. It also makes you realise every penny that you spend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11953
    Just tell the wife.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31731
    It's easy, just get made redundant. 

And you've spent too long in recording studios, it's "buses".  :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4307

Have word with yourself. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 559
    edited October 2019
    Buy a new house! I worked for me for about a year and a half. It totally put the sh*ts up me, saving like mad, selling loads of stuff (some of which I later realised I needed) then once we moved and paid all legal fees etc. I knew I needed to budget for carpet, curtains etc. so no Guitar or HiFi related purchases for nearly 2 years. 

Cost me a bomb, just not on blokey type crap.  

• ESBlonde said:
    Budget
    Write down income(s)
    Write down Expenditure
    Write down needs
    Write down wants
    Review at least weekly.

That way you can focus on something like longer term goals and see the importance of short term frugality.

If you write down £4.25 for coffee each day and £5.50 for a butty and and £1.60 for a bus you can see it costs £56.75 every week in sundry work costs.
    Doing your own bits at home can save you over £40 per week allowing for a slight increase in the family grocery bill. £40 x the 45 weeks you go to work is £1,800 a year.  Thats the same as having a salary increase before tax of £2,500!
    What could you do with £1,800 in your bank account/off your credit card?
    When was the last time you got a bus? 1997 :) 
  • p90fool said:
    It's easy, just get made redundant. 

And you've spent too long in recording studios, it's "buses".  :)
    hahahaha! Good shout!

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33851
    You know.... before you know it, you're buying coffee every morning instead of making it. You're taking Ubers instead of busses. You're buying amps every other month (lol)

Some people are frugal by inclination, some are extravagant and it is often unrelated to income.

If it isn't your natural inclination then setting yourself a weekly budget, actually moving the money from your savings account to your current account and spending from the current account.

Or do it the other way, every time you don't spend money on something (be it coffee, Uber etc) then move the money you would have otherwise spent into your savings account.
    Mrs Oct and I do the latter- we don't drink (me ever, her through the week) so we each move 10CHF a day into a bank account for every day we do this.
    At the end of each year we have a few grand we can spend on ourselves, get something for the house or have a nice holiday.

The most important thing though is making sure that anything that attracts interest (overdraft, credit cards) are paid off each month.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't have anything that attracts interest right now other than the mortgage. My credit card is interest free until November 2020. Plan to have it paid off by then.

Bye!

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    You've got a young daughter, do you know how much Uni and a blinged out wedding cost these days?

Start saving NOW. ;)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33851
    Kilgore said:
    You've got a young daughter, do you know how much Uni and a blinged out wedding cost these days?

Start saving NOW. ;)
    My parents didn't pay for my wedding or for my university education.
    Nor did my wife's parents fund hers.

Do people really expect to have to fund this for their children?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited October 2019
     :3 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    octatonic said:
    Kilgore said:

Start saving NOW. ;)

I was mostly joking about the wedding bit. As for Uni, I don't think people expect to have to fund it. I was lucky enough to go to Uni in the days of no tuition fees and generous maintenance grants so it makes me feel good to know I'll be able to help out a bit. 
  •  :3 
    Saw it before the edit Dave.

Bye!

• Kilgore said:
    octatonic said:
    Kilgore said:

Start saving NOW. ;)

I was mostly joking about the wedding bit. As for Uni, I don't think people expect to have to fund it. I was lucky enough to go to Uni in the days of no tuition fees and generous maintenance grants so it makes me feel good to know I'll be able to help out a bit. 
    No silver spoon here either!

Bye!

• In a world dominated by the likes of Amazon and my every film/tv wish granted, I struggle to leave the house these days. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'