Fret Wear Help.

What's Hot
sellisnbasellisnba Frets: 7
Hi all. 
Hopefully someone can help, I have noticed some fret wear on my recently acquired guitar.Will it need repairing or can i continue to play it as it is? 
If you zoom in on the picture you can see the wear a bit clearer. It runs all the way down the neck and is pretty even. The strings do seem to rattle a little although tuning stability is fine and intonation isn't far off. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    edited May 2014

Hi @sellisnba If it is not buzzing, rattling or choking out notes, then of course you can play it as it is. Ultimately the little pits in the fret will become deeper though, and one of the above problems will manifest itself. A good guitar repairer would probably level the frets and then re-profile them with a special concave file. Then polish them up nice and shiney. That way they will be the correct height and shape again. Prices for this will vary. There are some guys on here that offer the service, or find someone closer to you in the sticky thread 'Recommended Luthiers and Techs'

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72406
    sellisnba said:
    Hi all. 
    Hopefully someone can help, I have noticed some fret wear on my recently acquired guitar.Will it need repairing or can i continue to play it as it is? 
    If you zoom in on the picture you can see the wear a bit clearer. It runs all the way down the neck and is pretty even. The strings do seem to rattle a little although tuning stability is fine and intonation isn't far off. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    I can't zoom in on the pic, but since I can't actually see the wear at all it looks like at worst it would need a light fret dress as ElectroDan said.

I would estimate about £50 (exc strings) for this including a set-up - getting the nut and bridge the right height as well as adjusting the neck - which really needs to be done at the same time.

At best, it may just need a little adjustment and it will play fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom