Rack bags - worth it or are they just false economy vs getting a bigger moulded case?

What's Hot
guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
edited May 2014 in Amps
All I'll have for the time being will be a Matrix GT1000FX 1u power amp, so I was thinking of getting either a 1u or 2u rack bag.  The shoulder strap and zip open/close access would be great for me, and it would only ever be me moving this stuff in my own car.  

So are the rack bags any good?  Do they stay put on top of a cab?

Or Gator do a 2u rack bag.  http://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_grb2u.htm

I'm tempted by the Gator as I still have a Thomann voucher to spend, but I don't really need the extra space and I can't imagine filling it any time soon.  Even if I did fill it I'm looking at an Axe/Kemper rig later down the line so would be needing at least a 3u or 4u rack anyway - at that point I'd consider getting a flight case again but I don't want to spend that kind of money until I know exactly what I need.

Or should I skip this Rack bag idea and get a larger moulded rack case straight away, speculating on needing the space at a later date?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72580
    Rack bags are complete crap and are actually heavier and more awkward, while offering less protection, than a decent lightweight plastic rack case.

One of the world's less good ideas.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33837
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    Ok so follow up question - are any of the cheaper rack cases worth having?  E.G. this Gator http://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_gr2s.htm

I'd also consider getting a bigger Gator 4U for a bit of moderate futureproofing http://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_gr4l.htm

I have a 2u flight case already with some recording gear in it, but it is proving useful furniture as I've got stuff sat on top of it.  This rig is very much in a trial stage, so I'll consider getting the exact case I need at a later date.  I already know the 2u flight case I have annoys me design wise, it is a deep style case with a hinge handle on the lid, the handle should surely be on the side so I don't have to hoist it when going up stairs etc.  Why do so many people get handles wrong!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33837
    I use the shallow racks from Flightcase warehouse.
    They aren't plastic but they fit the Axe FX and the Matrix amps perfectly (if you use right angles cables).
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Cheap moulded cases are worse than rack bags! Gator, SKB or Boschma FTW.
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    I got an SKB rack bag.  It's bigger and heavier than expected, but it's got a shoulder strap, and a side pocket big enough to fit all cables and bits in, and enough space inside for the plugs and cables attached to it to fit comfortably.  It's also got a hidden pocket and velcro to hold the front flap open.

I carried (a bit uncomfortably because of the guitar bag falling off my shoulder on occasion) the rack, guitar in PRS SE gigbag, mesa head and 2x12 cab into a gig in one journey.  Not recommended because it's what made me realise the cab and amp were too heavy as a combination, but in terms of ease of use, no problem.

It sits nice next to the cab on the floor.  I would feel safe-ish putting it between amp and cab provided the pocket had been emptied and it was near a wall so nobody could knock the rear of the bag.

It's fine.
    Well my setup will be HD500x -> GT1000FX -> cab so no need to put anything on top of the bag. I'll have a think about it. Pod isn't here yet and only had a few mins on the GT1000fx as was busy tonight, used my Roland cube as a pre with the Matrix driving my EVH 4x12 just to check it worked. I can confirm that a 1000 watt Micro Cube half stack is not a product the market is missing out on.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I've got my axefx setup in a rack bag and got no complaints. Big pocket on the top is ideal for cables and stuff, and it seems to protect it just as good as any other plastic case (which IMHO looks crap). I prefer it over my bigger 4u rack Cade which is just too heavy.
  • MonstronautMonstronaut Frets: 193
    I had a gator 3u rack bag when I had an axe fx. The shoulder strap meant I could carry axe on one shoulder, guitar on the other and 2x12 in my hands. The whole rig in from the car in one go. As far as safety goes. I think you only need heavy duty cases etc if its going in a van. If its just going in the car don't get bogged down in tour spec hard cases.
    Hmm this thing looks good choice if I went moulded http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/industry/product.asp?item=boschma-roto-rackmount-flight-case-4u-black-3680-9639

38cm internal depth should be ok as the Axe FX 2 specs state 36.2cm in the manual, Kemper rack is only 22cm deep.  Any thoughts anyone?  If I never upgrade the FX unit I could always just get a rack drawer later down the line for my cables etc.
    And it is only £10 more / 1kg heavier to get the 6u (FCW specs are wrong for weight I checked the Boschma site) http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/industry/product.asp?item=boschma-roto-rackmount-flight-case-6u-black-3687-9639

But by that point I'm speculating on filling other spaces though, I feel like 4u is probably a better bet unless there is a good reason to go above 4u even if I might not fill them?
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3324
    edited May 2014

@guitarfishbay - I had rack bags and the zips went and protection was poor.

I have a high quality 2U black, moulded plastic case with vents that allows you to add inserts to it and extend it to a 3, 4U etc. The name esapes me but if interested, I can dig it out and I'd probably let that go for @£50 (need to check shipping). It's less bulky than the Spider ones and tough

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72580
    And it is only £10 more / 1kg heavier to get the 6u (FCW specs are wrong for weight I checked the Boschma site) http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/industry/product.asp?item=boschma-roto-rackmount-flight-case-6u-black-3687-9639

But by that point I'm speculating on filling other spaces though, I feel like 4u is probably a better bet unless there is a good reason to go above 4u even if I might not fill them?
    Above 4U and they start to get really bulky and awkward, and heavy once you load them - even with what seem to be fairly light units. I definitely wouldn't do that unless you have a real reason to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Kebabkid said:

@guitarfishbay - I had rack bags and the zips went and protection was poor.

I have a high quality 2U black, moulded plastic case with vents that allows you to add inserts to it and extend it to a 3, 4U etc. The name esapes me but if interested, I can dig it out and I'd probably let that go for @£50 (need to check shipping). It's less bulky than the Spider ones and tough

Hmm seems like these rack bags really do get mixed reports then.  I think I'm going to order the 4u Boschma, they seem to get great reviews on Basschat and it is big enough for an Axe if I go down that route.  Thanks for the offer though!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3324

No worries and all the best with that.

KK

You'll not go wrong with the Boschma cases, they're really well made.

I think it's worth clarifying the issues with rack bags from my own experience with a couple of Warwick ones that I've had:

Pros:
    They're waterproof and easy to carry
    They provide reasonable protection for your gear
    They usually have non-slip feet/pads so they stay on top of your cabs

Cons:
    They're lined with an MDF or ply box so they're quite heavy
    The zips are prone to fail
    The covering can tear fairly easily
    The lids are lined with a thin, plastic sheet which can break thereby lessening the protection to the front/rear panels of your gear
    The rack rails have the nuts in a channel so they slide up and down. makes it tricky to position them when installing gear in the rack
    They're not much cheaper than a good ABS case
    edited May 2014
    drwiddly said:
    They're lined with an MDF or ply box so they're quite heavy
    The covering can tear fairly easily
    The rack rails have the nuts in a channel so they slide up and down. makes it tricky to position them when installing gear in the rack

I disagree, my 3u rack bag is lighter than my 2u rack case, also not all have the screw grooves, mine certainly doesn't, I have a standard set of drilled holes just the same as any Gator case. 

Also never had a problem with the covers tearing on any that I've owned.

I think it depends on your needs.. IMHO a rack bag is ideal for transporting things in your car and is nice and easy to carry, i wouldn't however trust it to a roadie or throw it in a van with loads of other gear.

Horses for courses..
    As I said, my experience is based on a couple of Warwick ones that I had. The wooden sleeve is heavy and the covering ripped on one of them the first time I took it out (in my car, it snagged on a stand). The screw fixings clearly differ between brands.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    this was my old Axe FX rig , 4U gator case with power conditioner, ART SLA1, Axe FX Ultra, i had my G30 wireless in the back too.

It worked really well but i got the impression if the rack took a tumble, the gear wouldn't get a lot of protection.

Here's my old AxeFX rig also.. don't have this one anymore, but I have another one in a Rack Bag instead of the hard case. The hard case was just way too heavy, probably as heavy as the AxeFx.