The Fretboard Guitarist Collective - Task 1 August 2013

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
edited August 2013 in Studio & Recording
I'd thought we'd start gently with a blues backing track in A. The task is to record over the backing track with the aim of adding some emotion into your playing with vibrato, bends, slides, hammer-ons, slide guitar etc. Add additional instruments and chop up the backing track .. feel free to be creative.

If we have a few beginners I've setup a page with a couple of basic scale choices and the chord pattern ... download the track at: http://www.fretwired.com/task.html

Post your efforts on here .. if you don't have any web space then I can host your files .. just send me a PM. Alternatively, join Soundcloud or one of the other music sharing sites.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm not sure how to go about this. I have a PC running XP and I'm sure I can download the MP3. My workstation is a Yamaha AW16G, it can read a red book audio CD or a CD with a WAV file on it but I'm not sure about anything else. The XP machine also has a free copy of Audacity which can make an MP3 out of a WAV but I'm not sure of the other way round. Anyway the big issue is getting the backing track into my AW16. The rest should be straightforward procedure after that. BTW going the other way would be me burning a WAV onto a CD then toddlng downstairs with it to import the WAV into Audacity then converting to MP3 before uploading to soundcloud.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I can supply a wav file if that helps - can you burn a CD?

• Thanks @Fretwired I've just picked up my guitar for the first time in months, to play along to this! I decided to seize the time I had and just have a quick blast. It sounded crap but felt good :-)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27491

Excellent - thanks for setting this up.  I shall play :)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Yeah, I had first pass tonight, not good. Will have a few more blasts and will post if at all bearable.
  • Fretwired said:
    Yes I can burn a CD. Any chance of putting the file on dropbox for me to download?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited August 2013
    Nice one.   :-\"
    Fretwired said:
    Yes I can burn a CD. Any chance of putting the file on dropbox for me to download?
    No problem. PM me an email address to send it to.

• Downloaded. Will have a noodle at the weekend.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • clare_bearclare_bear Frets: 50
    edited August 2013
    As I have a day off from the little one and had a few spare minutes, I've recorded an extremely rough and ready 'lead' part.  It's warts and all (well, mostly warts!), but I'm quite proud of my effort as it was one take and only the second time I've played any kind of lead guitar for a couple of years.  I've done no 'mixing' or anything, it's just as it was/is.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27491
    edited August 2013
    I've recorded an extremely rough and ready 'lead' part.  

Sorry.

That was "rough and ready" ???

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited August 2013
    clare_bear - I liked that. Some nice phrasing and slides ... if that's what you can do in a few minutes think what you can do if you spent a whole week ... :-)

Have a wow ...

• Awww thanks guys. I'd forgotten how supportive you all are. Maybe I can squeeze some more playing time into my schedule and finally improve my lead playing.
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    edited August 2013
    Hope I can get my head around linking SoundCloud on here :)

Had a quick play over the backing, not 100% and may try a more polished version at the weekend but for now it's this

Edit - sorted it.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    I had about 20 cracks through this today but I run out of ideas after a couple of mins. I'll try again tomorrow!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Had another blast through last night, not sure I'm gonna get another chance this week so this will have to do for now, so it's a bit raw and loose. You'll be pleased to know I cut it short after the 3rd cycle, no one needs to hear a full 5 minutes of my white-boy wailing.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    edited August 2013
    My first collective entry since 2009 :-) I'll try and listen to the entries from everyone else tonight & offer constructive comments :-)
    I'm into jamming rather than recording, so in a spare 10 minutes yesterday evening I got my daughter to record a one-take vid of me playing over Fret's backing track, using an instrumental version of a blues song I wrote called 'Jumping The Gun' :-)

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

I had a quick blast today, it's here :

Not a great tone, just a Les Paul into GT5 into desk

@Clare : You have come on a long way, just shake it a bit more and play with more confidence, will sound great. 

@RedRabbit : That's pretty good for a quick attempt, bit more expression though maybe ?

@dindude : Your ideas sound pretty similar to mine, nicely done

@bigjon : Terrible recording, understandably  but you play really well, nice control of bends and vibrato 

Nice to stuff like this again :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    @Danny1969 - cheers for the feedback.  I know expression is a bit of a vague topic but could you expand a bit please?

I'll have a listen to everyone else's as soon as I can, probably tomorrow night.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    RedRabbit said:
    @Danny1969 - cheers for the feedback.  I know expression is a bit of a vague topic but could you expand a bit please?

I'll have a listen to everyone else's as soon as I can, probably tomorrow night.
    Just meant maybe more of the expression that's already there, like wider vibrato on the bends and such. Mainly I spose cos it's blues and they say it's not the notes but how you play them that counts in this gene. I'm not much of a blues player but I think that's the idea. You got the note knowledge just need to attack it with a little more aggression 
    www.2020studios.co.uk