Looking to get back what I paid for it ......

What's Hot

Comments

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    In the past I've used the LTGBWIPFI phrase (or a variation on the same theme) to indicate that offers under market value will be entertained.

In my case it usually means "Got offered this at a stupid price, couldn't resist it, found I had no use for it and nowhere to keep it, need to get it out from under my feet and happy to share good fortune on the price front as long as it's gone before I trip over it again or my wife notices it..." :-)

I think that's actually a pretty reasonable, helpful usage and not one I object to
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Isn't the pretext of the phrase "look, I'm not trying to make a profit on this; I'd just like to come out of it evens"?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    JayGee;251857" said:
    In the past I've used the LTGBWIPFI phrase (or a variation on the same theme) to indicate that offers under market value will be entertained.
    What does LTGBWIPFI mean? Is it something to do with the lesbian, gay and bisexual community?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    viz said:
    In a buyers' market like this, one good way of exploiting it is to buy money with pedals and guitar equipment.

:))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    jellyroll said:
    viz said:
    In a buyers' market like this, one good way of exploiting it is to buy money with pedals and guitar equipment.

:))
    Agreed, there is a touch of sheer brilliance to that   :D

• Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    If you bought a brand new guitar, took it home for a week, decided you didn't like it. You couldn't walk back into the shop and say 'It owes me (insert price you paid)". Could you imagine Peach or Andertons advertising a second hand guitar for the same price as a new guitar.

#justsayin'
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2927
    What exactly are people allowed to say in their post in the classifieds that won't offend anyone?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:
    What exactly are people allowed to say in their post in the classifieds that won't offend anyone?
    You can say what you like, as long as you are on a diet. 
    And not a ManU fan
    Or a girl.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Bidley said:

(assuming that's not a rhetorical question)

What it is, where it is, how much it is, how old it is, what condition it is in (with photos), and how to pay for it.

That's all.

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited May 2014
    Seems bizarre to suggest that the value of a thing should go down with every consecutive sale... As Impman says, sooner or later that USA Standard Strat would be into minus figures!

With music gear, unless the condition (or, with regard to digital amps/effects, the relevence) of the thing has fallen in any meaningful way since it was last sold, it just is what it is. 

I agree that "Looking to get what I paid for it" is a bit rich if you obviously paid over the odds for it, cuz, y'know. That's your own fault. ;) 

EDIT: And OBVIOUSLY this doesn't apply to stuff that you bought brand new from a shop... I think it's clear we're talking about passing a second-hand wossname from one owner to the next.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I don't care what people say in the ad, as long as there are decent fotos to dream over..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    The gear world is a bit 'complicated' at times.  How many other consumer items could you buy and expect to sell by saying "I would like back what I paid for it"? 
    It isn't offensive, but let's face it everyone wants to feel like they are getting a good deal and that phrase doesn't necessarily make you feel that way.  As we can all see it is definitely a buyers market.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Also, I think most people use the phrase "looking to get back what I paid for it" etc as a quick and friendly way of saying "Look, I'm not here to make a profit/swindle anyone, I just don't want to loose money if I can help it", which is a totally reasonable sentiment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Bidley said:

(assuming that's not a rhetorical question)

What it is, where it is, how much it is, how old it is, what condition it is in (with photos), and how to pay for it.

That's all.

And I bet you could state each of those things in a way that would offend some of the, ahem, more sensitive members on here. E.g., take an Epiphone with the headstock snapped off, and sell it as follows:

What it is: A Gibson
    Where it is: In the best town in the whole universe (insert your choice of grim location)
    How much it is: Yours for £10,000, unless someone offers me more after you've made me an offer.
    How old it is: This is a genuine vintage beast, from the best ever era, er, 2008.
    What condition it is in: Absolutely mint, not a mark on it. (Photos included, which show the headstock break that I'm not mentioning).
    How to pay for it: Paypal gift (so you've got no protection if it turns out to be even worse than you expected).

:)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    If you bought a brand new guitar, took it home for a week, decided you didn't like it. You couldn't walk back into the shop and say 'It owes me (insert price you paid)". Could you imagine Peach or Andertons advertising a second hand guitar for the same price as a new guitar.

#justsayin'
    #wtf
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17607
    tFB Trader

#justsayin'
    It's a good job you are just saying as what you say makes no sense.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Actually, a friend of mine just sold a guitar back to the shop he got it from, albeit as part of a trade. He paid 1700 for the guitar about a year ago and the shop (Coda) gave him 1400 back. Granted, some may see the 300 hit as a bit sore but I thought that was pretty reasonable, considering what shops normally (and understandably) offer for trade-ins.
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989

#justsayin'
    It's a good job you are just saying as what you say makes no sense.
    Most things I say make no sense.