Crazy cheap - Harley Benton doing "Les Paul Tributes" for £79.50!

What's Hot
chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3987
Ok, not exact spec, but they look the part...

Goldtop - ok this one is £88.52

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Crikey.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• rossirossi Frets: 1705
    They are  ridiculously good value and  even upsetting the  terminally sniffy set so cant be bad value .i find HB good guitars .OK ,not perfect, but considering how cheap they are they work and look good .Probably weighs at on .
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5055
    Yeah but is the rosewood board one piece?!   :-O
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited May 2014
    The minimum requirement for an £80 Electric Guitar is that it can be tuned and can stay in tune. The only review I can see (on the GT version) says the answer is no and no.
    That is not enough evidence and I will wait for a forum member to buy one and share their thoughts. Until they do my thoughts below are pure speculation.  :D

For the past 30 years, maybe longer, it has been perfectly possible for a first (very cheap)  electric guitar to be 100% playable and perfectly adequate for learning to play. Our more mature forum members will be more than happy to confirm that this was not always the case.   :-O
    The world has a glut of electric guitars. It is very easy to buy a high quality, well made, decent sounding guitar for £80. (Second hand Yamaha Pacifica). There is no need for anybody to suffer an unplayable guitar....and (the really important bit)....a kid learning to play via youtube may simply not know that his well meaning parents have bought him an untunable guitar.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Skipped said:

For the past 30 years, maybe longer, it has been perfectly possible for a first (very cheap)  electric guitar to be 100% playable and perfectly adequate for learning to play. Our more mature forum members will be more than happy to confirm that this was not always the case.   :-O

Some one just called me mature!?

I had a Kay that was awful, but it may have been 29 years ago not 30.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Hmmmm spose I count as mature
    My first guitar was a truly awful Kay LP copy that was all but unplayable - was all I had for about 6 or 7 years though.

The youth of today - Pah!! They don't know they're born :D
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    edited May 2014
    Most guitars that go out of tune quickly need a nut slot opening up .That included my Baja telecaster .It also had a very noisy pickguard that really threw me for a while .HB's are great value but sure they need a bit of work like most Chinese copies  and indeed non copeis.Thomman have managed to do a better job than many and they are better than the cricket bat I first played guitar with .My first Hofner was a bit better than the bat but not a lot .Thomann also take back any items without any fuss  so fair dooos.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/50a825234d6e7a19bfc3cab825b63c8c_zpsbcaaf46b.jpg This is just £100. The three h.Bentons I've got have stayed in tune very well indeed. The 335 a-like is actually a wonderful guitar that you can feel resonating properly. I want the P90 Goltop.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12924
    The Harley benton basses have been getting very good writeups over at basschat.