How many of you transcribe?

BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
I've only done bits here and there but never really got down to it properly because the faster phrases would confuse me and I can't catch the notes. I just got a slow down software and I've learnt 2 solos this week (John Mayer stuff, dont be a hater ;) ). My only regret is not getting a slow-down software sooner. 

So, how many of you transcribe? and how much do you reckon it's helped your playing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    I used to do it, i worked on Indianola Robben Ford for ages!. It was a live version but i got most of it. I think it was mostly Cminor pentatonic. I learned how to play the same riff in different positions.I also did Sultans of Swing. (Tried tunnel of love but gave up)
     I need to do more but im spending my time learning chord progs, and getting into Recording with Reaper etc. I can quite quickly get most the chords to the stuff i want to play and i check up on the internet, lazy but ive got tons of stuff to fit in. I cant be bothered with tabs because ive never gotten used to using them, i suppose very useful.  so its Transcribe all the way and i defo will be getting back into it.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I used to but I didn't do a lot of difficult solo type things.  My strength was similar to what JAYJO said, getting chord progressions of songs by ear.  I used to do this a lot when I was in a cover band, I would write it all out on a chalkboard and we would all learn it from that.  Luckily both of the busy bands I was in preferred to have me improvise most of the solos.  The chalkboard thing works great, just chord names, slashes for the count and bigger slashes for bar lines, we put together two or three songs each practice session usually(easy pop songs mainly).

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I've been improvising my solos since I learned how to, it's been a few years now and I feel it's time to explore other people's ideas and incorporate some of it in my own playing.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Branshen said:
    So, how many of you transcribe? and how much do you reckon it's helped your playing?
    Transcription has helped a lot over the years because I've been able to understand what other people play.  Like most things, you get better with practice. You also realise that most of the "transcriptions" you find on the internet are wrong
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    You can use Guitar Pro 5 or 6 to do the Transcription fror you and printout accordingly...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited June 2014
    /\ Yep = does loads - check some YT demos...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I find the trick to transcription is to transcribe something you love that is simple first. REALLY simple. A fairy tale to begin just to get the brain working in that way.. then pick it up from there.. focus on the rhythm as that'll tell you which patterns to use to play the notes..

Any time I've not lived by that rule: Impressions by Stanley Jordan or Danny Boy by Ted Greene I've demotivated myself.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?